Funky

Hi fellow cyclists...

I've been long meaning to get to the Sani Pass, so I've booked to do a 4x4 day tour from Underberg to the Sani Pass & the highest pub in Africa for the 1st July.

But I was just thinking, as I am in Underberg for the weekend (Fri - Sun), I was going to take my bike along & attempt a ride on the Friday.

I was looking at the forums & came across some useful tips, was just wondering if there are any further tips/advice.

I am staying at the Sani Window B&B in Underberg, so was going to drive to the Sani Backpackers, park there, and start riding around midday.

Questions:

- about how long will it take to the top & back (i know this is depending on fitness, I am fairly fit, but just want to take it easy, & take photos along the way etc) - Would just like to be back at my car before dark.

- is it safe to go alone

- if I don't want to ride all the way up for whatever reason, do I just turn back on the same road/path & head back

- take passport

- take a warm/rain jacket.

Anything else...?

Thanks in advance,

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Casual 4 .5 hrs up from where your are and 25mins down to the gate.  I think the record down is something like 12mins????

Drive to the gate and cycle up?

Yes to all the rest.

Great fun.  Have a Jol.

Hey oobafunky, 

You will not be disappointed, this was definitely one of the most beautiful rides i've done. 

One tip I'd  give you is to start early instead of midday. The pass gets quite busy, especially with taxis transporting people between the border posts. Also, those taxis drive like hooligans. 

I started out at 05:30 and got to the top without being passed once. Coming down a bit later there was much more traffic.

I did it alone and had no issues. 

Passport, rain jacket, and watch out for the descent. It gets pretty fast and is pretty loose in some spots. Also watch out for the oncoming traffic on the way down.

Below is the Strava File of my ride, so you can get an idea on times.

https://www.strava.com/activities/805505476

Enjoy it, it truly is beautiful out there,

Hi fellow cyclists...

I've been long meaning to get to the Sani Pass, so I've booked to do a 4x4 day tour from Underberg to the Sani Pass & the highest pub in Africa for the 1st July.

But I was just thinking, as I am in Underberg for the weekend (Fri - Sun), I was going to take my bike along & attempt a ride on the Friday.

I was looking at the forums & came across some useful tips, was just wondering if there are any further tips/advice.

I am staying at the Sani Window B&B in Underberg, so was going to drive to the Sani Backpackers, park there, and start riding around midday.

Questions:

- about how long will it take to the top & back (i know this is depending on fitness, I am fairly fit, but just want to take it easy, & take photos along the way etc) - Would just like to be back at my car before dark.

- is it safe to go alone

- if I don't want to ride all the way up for whatever reason, do I just turn back on the same road/path & head back

- take passport

Anything else...?

Thanks in advance,

Awesome ride, difficulty depending on gearing and how assholey the drivers are being.

If you are forced to stop in the switchbacks it is tough to get going again.

I rode up and down there very fat in about 5 hours.

Safer than any JHB road.

Turning around at any point is very easy, but don't think about giving up now already, you will make it.

The last 2 km is tough and might need to walk a bit, thats ok, you won't be cycling much faster.

Keep an eye for the taxis coming down on the wrong side of the road. (Just like normal).

Be sure to drink from the steams and keep your bottles topped up.

Wind breaker for the ride down.

Most importantly, take a few pics and come and tell us how it went. Have fun dude!!!!

Casual 4 .5 hrs up from where your are and 25mins down to the gate.  I think the record down is something like 12mins????

Yes to all the rest.

Great fun.  Have a Jol.

Yes to all the rest.

Great fun.  Have a Jol.

Thanks Sepia,

So drive to the boarder gate & park there as opposed to the backpackers? (is there ample safe parking there)

Thanks again...

Hey oobafunky, 

You will not be disappointed, this was definitely one of the most beautiful rides i've done. 

One tip I'd  give you is to start early instead of midday. The pass gets quite busy, especially with taxis transporting people between the border posts. Also, those taxis drive like hooligans. 

I started out at 05:30 and got to the top without being passed once. Coming down a bit later there was much more traffic.

I did it alone and had no issues. 

Passport, rain jacket, and watch out for the descent. It gets pretty fast and is pretty loose in some spots. Also watch out for the oncoming traffic on the way down.

Below is the Strava File of my ride, so you can get an idea on times.

https://www.strava.com/activities/805505476

Enjoy it, it truly is beautiful out there,

Thanks King Dean...

Would like to start of earlier on, but am driving down from JHB on that Friday, but will try & leave earlier on so that I can start earlier...

Thanks again for the advice...will take a look at the Strava link...

Thanks Sepia,

So drive to the boarder gate & park there as opposed to the backpackers? (is there ample safe parking there)

Thanks again...

I would suggest that you ride from the back packers, only because it's a beautiful and easy ride from there to the border post, nice little warm up too ;)

Safer than any JHB road.

Turning around at any point is very easy, but don't think about giving up now already, you will make it.

The last 2 km is tough and might need to walk a bit, thats ok, you won't be cycling much faster.

Keep an eye for the taxis coming down on the wrong side of the road. (Just like normal).

Most importantly, take a few pics and come and tell us how it went. Have fun dude!!!!

Awesome, thanks for the tips...definitely won't want to quit :-) & will try & get to the top.

Was just worried about going at it alone & the traffic/drivers etc.

But am looking forward to it... 

Be careful with the last big rain we had the Pass was badly washed away,not sure if it was fixed as yet (The rain we had during the Sani2C) that can affect your speed up and down.

Check weather forecast before going up and remember always much colder on top than at the border.

Enjoy the ride and check for Dwarf Camelions on the road!!!!!!!!!!1

Safer than any JHB road.

I wish more people would realize this during cycling races/events!

Many think its unmanly or against the rules to walk, and rather spin like crazy at walking speed leading to wobbling and riding sideways

Edited by coppi

Be careful with the last big rain we had the Pass was badly washed away,not sure if it was fixed as yet (The rain we had during the Sani2C) that can affect your speed up and down.

Check weather forecast before going up and remember always much colder on top than at the border.

Enjoy the ride and check for Dwarf Camelions on the road!!!!!!!!!!1

Thanks for this...will check weather forecast as well...

What date are you planning on doing this?

30th June...as the next day I'm going on a drive up with a 4x4 tour...

Hi fellow cyclists...

Questions:

- is it safe to go alone

- take passport

Anything else...?

Thanks in advance,

My uncle has the farm supply/bicycle business in Underberg. Pop in or call him on the Friday and he will give you up to the moment intel in road conditions etc. He is a mad cyclist.

My uncle has the farm supply/bicycle business in Underberg. Pop in or call him on the Friday and he will give you up to the moment intel in road conditions etc. He is a mad cyclist.

Lovely, thanks for this...can you pm me his details...