Funky

When my wife and I did it beginning of May (we left at 1 pm from Himeville and back at 17.30 - drank a Maluti beer at the top) we were asking ourselves... why did we decide to do this again... it's by no means easy no matter how fit you are!

Our aim was to get the Women QOM which we did. We also walked one or two sections and after the heavy rain end of May it will be much worse.

It will be very dusty (passing cars) en route and freezing at the top.

Enjoy as it's a nice one to TICK off the bucket list!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When my wife and I did it beginning of May (we left at 1 pm from Himeville and back at 17.30 - drank a Maluti beer at the top) we were asking ourselves... why did we decide to do this again... it's by no means easy no matter how fit you are!

Our aim was to get the Women QOM which we did. We also walked one or two sections and after the heavy rain end of May it will be much worse.

It will be very dusty (passing cars) en route and freezing at the top.

Enjoy as it's a nice one to TICK off the bucket list!

Great, thanks for the tips...will most certainly be taking it easy, as I just want to enjoy the ride & not going to any records & not claiming to be as fit as I'd like to be :-)

I did do this ride at the end of 2015 (Manali to Leh) & one of the highlights were the "Gata Loops" topping out at 4800m

http://i10.dainikbhaskar.com/thumbnail/655x588/web2images/www.dailybhaskar.com/2015/02/07/2_1423287732.jpg

Hey oobafunky, 

You will not be disappointed, this was definitely one of the most beautiful rides i've done. 

One tip I'd  give you is to start early instead of midday. The pass gets quite busy, especially with taxis transporting people between the border posts. Also, those taxis drive like hooligans. 

I started out at 05:30 and got to the top without being passed once. Coming down a bit later there was much more traffic.

I did it alone and had no issues. 

Passport, rain jacket, and watch out for the descent. It gets pretty fast and is pretty loose in some spots. Also watch out for the oncoming traffic on the way down.

Below is the Strava File of my ride, so you can get an idea on times.

https://www.strava.com/activities/805505476

Enjoy it, it truly is beautiful out there,

One last silly question...did you have Strava running on your MTN/Voda SIM, as I know that once you cross over into Lesotho, these mobile operators will charge us a bundle, although we are still technically in the country :-)

As someone has noted - it can be very cold at the top, particularly after having worked up a good sweat on the climb.

One last silly question...did you have Strava running on your MTN/Voda SIM, as I know that once you cross over into Lesotho, these mobile operators will charge us a bundle, although we are still technically in the country :-)

Turn your roaming off while riding, you only need data connectivity when you save the ride.

Edited by Patchelicious

Nope, uploaded from Garmin when I finished the ride.

Pretty much everything that could be said has been said already.  Enjoy the ride. The views, as long as the weather plays nice, are amazing.

Also don't feel bad when you are taking a break at every turn on the switch backs at the top. It gets real up there, just keep reminding yourself, a tasty Maluti beer is close!

the air is very thin at the top so you will suck heavy and wonder why?

lovely once you get to the top....even better when you start to descend... brakes can start to cook ...

i am yet to go back 

Pretty much everything that could be said has been said already.  Enjoy the ride. The views, as long as the weather plays nice, are amazing.

Also don't feel bad when you are taking a break at every turn on the switch backs at the top. It gets real up there, just keep reminding yourself, a tasty Maluti beer is close!

:-) thanks...

Ping adventurebybike him and a mate went up last weekend! 

They loved it, I missed out :-(

Thanks...will do so...

Do it before the Chinese are able to bribe the politicians, and tar it!

the air is very thin at the top so you will suck heavy and wonder why?

lovely once you get to the top....even better when you start to descend... brakes can start to cook ...

i am yet to go back 

Top of Sani is only 2845. If you go up to black mountain/Kotisephola Pass which is 3240, then you really start to suck air.

Edited by GaryvdM

Do it seven times and claim an Everesting on gravel.  :devil:

I recall Martin and Jeannie Dreyer did this not too long ago.