Cold, dark winter early morning training…

I was out at 4:20 this morning and home by 6:15. Cold and dark all the way. In warmer months the route is very busy with plenty riders and runners. This morning I saw more runners and a single handful of riders.

Need to invest in better gloves - hate numb fingers and the sections through Bryanston down by the river are very cold. My eyes water on the fast down hill sections with the cold air.

But..

Once out and about its an awesome feeling that you never regret!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was out at 4:20 this morning and home by 6:15. Cold and dark all the way. In warmer months the route is very busy with plenty riders and runners. This morning I saw more runners and a single handful of riders.

Need to invest in better gloves - hate numb fingers and the sections through Bryanston down by the river are very cold. My eyes water on the fast down hill sections with the cold air.

But..

Gloves remain a problem.  Wrt to the eyes someone here suggested that I buy these protective glasses that you can buy at a hardware.  Some of them wrap around your eye well and they work wonderfull in winter to protect your eyes from the cold cost a fraction of the price than cycling glasses.

under your hate list, I think you forgot 2 important points:

• Putting your cold HR strap onto a nice warm body. Especially if it's slightly damp from being rinsed the previous day
  • The burning of the hot shower water when it touches all of your frozen extremities 

I put mine under warm water for a few seconds before putting it on.

But..

Been riding through Pta winter for the past 17 years.

Gloves:  Assos Fugu

Glasses:  Oakley Jawbreakers

Problem sorted

Been riding through Pta winter for the past 17 years.

Gloves:  Assos Fugu

Glasses:  Oakley Jawbreakers

Problem sorted

PTA doesn't have winter (compared to the south of JHB).

Luckily this year it hasn't been too cold.

Last year it was much colder at this stage.

BTW Spiderman also doesn't feel the cold !!

I love:-

• Being the only one on the mountain, and yes being slightly scared...
  • The view, the view, the view, the view
  • The trails in my light
  • The silence
  • Meeting the porcupine again, again and so many owls - nightlife on the mountain, awesomeness 
  • Riding through a sleeping city
  • That feeling - "it is in the bank"
  • That coffee, man that coffee...

I just love riding my bike!

In winter I love.... a nice warm cuppa in a warm bed, a spot of brekky and then rolling out for my rides at the 'The Gentlemans Hour' when the sun can warm me, I don't have to wear a lot of layers and peal it all off like a Pom landing Darwn and I can see where I'm going.

Somewhere about the crack of 8:30 am works the best as most people have gone to work and you're still going too get enough of a day's work to show face, keep the workers on their toes and the clients happy. Also there is something nice about riding when the world (and that includes me) should be working.

Edited by hellocolour

I just love winter rides.

- The numbness in my fingertips and the burning of my thumbs as I shift with cold hands (winter gloves can only do so much...) and the sting when you get the feeling back in your fingers and toes

- the chill on my face and the feeling of the Buff hugging my ears and cheeks underneath my helmet

- the sound and smell of rubber cutting the moist trail

- carving lines on frosted / dewed up trails when you are the first one out

- seeing the rain coming in while you are out riding.

- when it turns out to be the perfect winters day with mid teen temperatures and no wind at all.

I have been out there a 2 mornings a week for the last while.

Turning off the N14, the temp plummets so quickly.

Been getting -3 a few times.

Getting tough in your old age!

Or just better kitted out ;)

Any excuse to get more black kit to ride around in the dark sounds like a good one to me!

I never ride with my Rapha covering my Genasys kit.

If I need my gillet, it will be over a Rapha top, pfffft Rapha over Team Kit.... WTF, we aren't farm animals!!

Some of us regularly put the sty back in 'style'. We are called mountain bikers. #rougherversusrapha