UCI rules regarding riding with kids.

RyanD

Damn if we could be as cool as you and your kids.

Yes.

And they fix their own punctures, chains, etc. And they have their eyes open.

Next?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you guys on about? The question is regarding a ruling. I've read the OP a few times and not once did he ask for parenting advice???? Clearly he is enjoying riding (AND going racing) with his son. Obviously it's open category style racing where results for different categories are awarded on the finish time. Unless there's pushing and other similar forms of outside assistance that's not being disclosed, how are you all getting so worked up about this?

What are you guys on about? The question is regarding a ruling. I've read the OP a few times and not once did he ask for parenting advice???? Clearly he is enjoying riding (AND going racing) with his son. Obviously it's open category style racing where results for different categories are awarded on the finish time. Unless there's pushing and other similar forms of outside assistance that's not being disclosed, how are you all getting so worked up about this?

No one is getting worked up.Its a normal discussion

Sunshine i gave you stellenbosch as an example, you were under the impression 12 years werent even allowed to ride. Focus

Sunshine...he said race

No, just Sunday afternoon school ;)

Dont come with logic and wanting to respond to an actual question, its the hub. We have 11 year old super mechanics roaming freely here

Sunshine i gave you stellenbosch as an example, you were under the impression 12 years werent even allowed to ride. Focus

read back a little and ....

1: you were under the impression 12 years werent allowed to ride those distances, so doubt you have in depth knowledge of that "category" then

2: different categories do start at the time times, different batches possibly, but a 16 year old doing the 50k lines up next to the 45 year old. They race in different categories, but start right next to each other

3: none of the above prevents the op from lining up right next his kid and riding with him, regardless of your feelings on parenting or ethics.

4: unless the race rules clearly state its a age BATCHED race, then its rules sucked out of their thumbs, and if they run on uci rules the op is in his full right to ask show me a 5 min rule.

read back a little and ....

Morning all.

Please help with a situation that has arisen. I am a competitive cyclist but I have taken this season to race with my 12 year old on the local 25k courses. One has to learn to race and my lad is keen to have a good go.

We ride in the Zululand area and in some remote places at times. At the last race we attended we started in A batch and had a good race. I don't touch him, push him up hills, in short I provide no physical assistance. If his chain breaks I will fix it for him though.

When we finished,the race overseer informed me that I have to ride with a 5 minute gap between me, and my child competing in a race caregory. I told her I provide no assistance to him which the lady said it is in the rules and it's because I can add a mental advantage, I do agree on the mental advantage of being continually coached during a race, but watch any grand tour and all the riders have earpieces. What's the difference.

My primary concern is that he goes off course and gets lost. This happens to adults at every event we attend. At my sons pace he is covering about 1.2 km in 5 mins. That's way to to dangerous as once he is off course he is lost.

I have spoken to other parents involved and they agree with me that it's not safe to have the kids ride on their own.

I have read the UCI rules on MTB and can see nothing referring to a 5 minute gap. I would appreciate any info anyone may have regarding this issue. I am trying to encourage a young rider, for him to win his race and then have his trophy taken away will do the opposite.

Thanks

Ryan.

If it's an open 25km race then they can't stop you from riding with him.

If it's a u/13 race then no you not allowed on the course.

Man, it takes two sentences from Gummi to wrap this up.

If it's an open 25km race then they can't stop you from riding with him.

If it's a u/13 race then no you not allowed on the course.

These men who ride with "their women" ? Fresh in from Salt lake City? Much?

Please folks, let the kids just have fun on their bikes.

Read wives, girlfriends, daughters nieces, sisters, moms. PMS much? Goodness me????

I have seen this happen in the women's categories where husband who races A batch is quite literally pushing is vrou on the flats...  and no, not in mixed cat..