Shoes and Pedals(decisions decisions)(giro?)(m520/m530)

Preasan

Hello Hubbers, :D

I've been looking through the forums and can't seem to find a definitive answer to the problems I face.

Sooo... Firstly Shoes...

I have a budget of 2k for my shoes. I would really like something that has the boa system because i think its frikken awesome but please let me know if its any good.

So basically what is a good shoe in the 2k range?

Should I get something like a first ascent torque 2 or an flr f55 or something shimano... or should I save up and get the Specialized Expert? Have also seen the Fizik m5 boa, those are also cool, but again is it the best in this price range.

I am leaning toward the Giro Cylinder because it has get boa system and it looks pretty awesome, but are the shoes good? 

So basically I'm just trying to find out whats a good brand to go with for quality and value for the money that I end up spending. Also, where are the good shops in Johannesburg that I can shop at for good deals?

Secondly pedals, I want to ride trail as well as start doing some good distance on the road... I want to go clipless and I have found pedals for sale on the hub that I will get...

I just want to know which is better between the Shimano m520 and the m530... Is the extra cage on the 530 better?

Thank you, any advice will be greatly appreciated. 

Apologies for the essay :oops:

post-112249-0-45938000-1497294909_thumb.jpg

Edited by Preasan

Buy what fits you. I'm still mtbing in a pair of ****** up shimano shoes just bc they so damn comfy.

Giro, Fizik, Shimano, Northwave, Specialized, Sidi are all awesome brands but don't work for everyone.

For spez check out their elite stores Complete Cyclist and Dunkeld Cycles or the concept stores Melrose arch/Cedar Square.

For the rest Cycle lab Fourways should stock most of those brands so you can fit all at once.

FWIW my First Ascents lasted just more than a year before the sole pulled away from the shoe. Upon enquiring from salesman at a largely reputable bike store as to whether this happens to mtb shoes he said yes, if they get wet. Got a pair of Giro Privateer Rs elsewhere and super happy so far - 7months in.

Boa systems are great for shoe retention on your foot. People always talk about how stiff soles are great for maximizing power transfer. But that wouldn't matter if your foot is moving about inside the shoe. So boa or ratchet systems do a better job of keeping your foot in place. Also you are able to better fine tune how snug the shoe fits. A bit of an improvement over the old Velcro and/or laces then. 

As with all things there is a trade off. You're one rock smash away from a useless pair of shoes. Sure, you could replace the ratchet if it brakes. But not all shoes have the replacement parts readily available. So its worth asking about should you want to go this route. There's also the probable inconvenience of waiting on parts/repairs etc. 

Of course, if you're after distance on gravel or tarmac then this would be of little concern to you. But its worth putting out there.

As for the pedals. You may or may not benefit all that much from the platform pedals with racy shoes like that. It really depends on the float. Ie: The distance between your sole and the pedal's platform. Its likely that your sole may hardly make any contact with the platform at all. Platforms on trail pedals usually benefit flatter soled shoes where the cleats position is slightly more recessed in the shoe's sole. The flatter soles then make that extra bit of contact with the platform around the cleat. Allowing the bike and terrains feedback to be felt over a greater surface area of your foot. Which is great for control and stability while you're chucking the bike about. But means bugger all if you intend riding from The Cape to Cairo.

This really is a very personal thing, so I will just share my experience.

For techy trail riding and enduro I use Five Ten Maltese Falcon shoes and Crankbros Mallet E pedals. The shoe has lots of flex in the sole, and uses a velcro strap and laces. I really like this shoe because it is comfortable when it comes to hike-a-bike situations. Personally I also like some flex in my shoes when I know I will be jumping around on the bike. The combination of a a more flexy shoe with a bigger platform pedal with pins such as the mallet e gives me a flat pedal feel with the advantages of being clipped in. I personally prefer crankbros over shimano when it comes to trail pedals, as I get the feeling that the cage around shimano trail pedals purely provide protection for the spd mechanism, and no extra support to the shoe itself. Shimano trail pedals also do not have pins, and I think it is a nice addition to a trail pedal. I also like the extra float that I get from the crankbros pedals.

When it comes to XC riding I go for the exact opposite. I use Specialized Expert XC shoes which have a boa system and a carbon sole. I use this in combination with Funn Tactic (this is an SPD pedal which can be compared to a Shimano XT) clipless pedals. The carbon sole on an XC shoe is a must for me as it provides a super stiff pedaling platform, but I think you have to have a boa system on the shoe if you go for a carbon sole - the boa system ensures your feet are securely held and does not move around in the shoe - if your feet do move around in the shoe you may as well not get a carbon sole! I also like a Shimano SPD pedal for XC because it does not have a ton of float, and there is a clear in and out.

When it comes to brand quality there really is no one winner, it will come down to what fits comfortably for you. Specialized may be great for me, but horrible for you. In terms of what you should be looking for at the 2k mark, you will probably get either a carbon sole or boa, but probably not both. If you can only have one of the two, go for boa over carbon sole, if you can have both - that is a winner!

As for the attached image of the Giro shoe - you will not go wrong, it is a great brand with a good track record.