Am I Doing It Wrong? - Bike Cleaning

Andrew_Smith

Howzit guys,

I hope everyone survived Monday. I am in need of advice, more specific on bike cleaning.

Just want to state from the beginning that I am sort of a perfectionist for a few things, this includes my bike. I'll spend more time cleaning it that might be necessary. In the summer, I only washed my bike when it is really dirty and re-lube my chain every 70km. I used dry lube instead of wet lube that I am using now for the wet conditions.

Here is my washing kit:

http://i.imgur.com/hdSJ9m9.jpg

Rag is being washed...

http://i.imgur.com/4Zhy1SX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sjxd2RO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ilVOOtY.jpg

After wash, without lube

So I washed my bike after Sunday's very muddy ride. I did not do anything after the ride but to bring it inside to put on the wall stand. It stayed there for one day. The mud turned hard so I used the hose to remove the worst of it. Afterwards, I mix medium temperature water with Sunlight Liquid. I always start with the fork stanchions and then my drivetrain. The fork does not take long, but the drivetrain is another story. It probably takes up 70% of the time I use to clean the bike.

My process (of cleaning the drivetrain): I try to clean the chain to remove the worst of the dirt with the brush while spinning the chain. I then remove my chainring to clean the gunk stuck between where the bolts screw into the crank. Throw it in the tap and clean it with the brush thoroughly. I end off by drying it off with a rag. I go back to my bike taking the rag to remove the leftover dust from the chain. Put back the chainring and continue cleaning the chain repeating with the brush and spinning of the chain. I do this for quite some time to get the chain as clean as possible. I also use the brush to clean my cassette, although I am not sure it cleans between the teeth. I hose off the drivetrain and proceed to my room for the dry stage. I use an old towel the clean the whole frame, rag for the drivetrain and synthetic chamois leather for my fork's stanchions. To put the cherry on the cake, I have a fan that blows onto my bike as well.

This whole process takes me about an hour and a half and is quite draining too.

I noted that I really struggle to get my chain clean with the wet lube compared to the dry lube.

My questions:

1.) Is my method effective and correct (meaning not harming my components)?

2.) Should I invest in a degreaser?

3.) Should I invest in a chain cleaner?

4.) Should I invest in a brush set?

5.) Should one wash your bike after a muddy ride or can I only hose it off and go for a next ride?

6.) If I take my finger across one of the cassette's teeth, it becomes black. Can I leave it like that?

Any other advice/comments are more than welcome. 

Thanks

~ André

Edited by Andrew_Smith

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a note - I remove my chain during every clean using the quick-link.

Okay, I thought about that... Will it be safe for the chain? 

I am using a Shimano HG54 10spd.

I also remove the chain and clean it in an ultrasonic cleaning bath. Once clean leave it in a jar of chain lube for an hour or so and then I hang it up to dry.

For the rest of the bike, I use bike wash and a soft brush. Every now and then I remove the buildup on the chainring and rear cassette with paraffin.

Sometimes a pressure cleaner on they tyres, but on the whole I like to stay away from high pressure cleaning.

Wine cork in the underside of the steering tube to keep the muck out.

What I have learnt.

1. Wash your bike however you like, doesn't make much difference. 

2. Riding in wet muddy conditions stuffs up the bearings and the fork.

3. Using a worn chain stuffs up your drive train (cassette and chain rings).

I only ever CLEAN my bike when it's being properly serviced. Otherwise, just keep the drivetrain clean and lubed, and off you go. Oh - and the fork & shock stanchions. 

Cassette shouldn't really need cleaning all the time, unless it was an exceptionally muddy ride and a normal dry brush doesn't remove the muck from the problem areas. Yes, your cassette will get greasy, and that's fine. So will your chain. Again, that's fine, as long as the grease isn't packed with grit. 

When I do clean it properly, everything is removed. Handy Andy and a scrubbing brush for the cassette & chainring, paraffin for the chain and then petroleum wax for the chain lube. Re-grease the derailleur pulleys and bolts after cleaning them with handy andy. 

So to answer your question. Yes, you are being too pedantic. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Got myself a good paintbrush with a "no hair loss" guarantee (Did not do much for my head though - Lol). Find that better than the brush you show  in your pic. And generally do like MM says, concentrate on the drive train mainly. Find the long hair bristles get in everywhere I need it to go. Don't even remove the chain every time. Use soap and water, leave to dry thoroughly in the sun and then re-lube with dry lube twice. Once immediately after dry and then again the next morning. Maybe that's overkill but ok, I do it anyway.

What I have learnt.

1. Wash your bike however you like, doesn't make much difference. 

2. Riding in wet muddy conditions stuffs up the bearings and the fork.

3. Using a worn chain stuffs up your drive train (cassette and chain rings).

Question: Do you support using high pressure washers on you bike? I don't cause lots of comments from some in the know tend to frown on this practice. 

Question: Do you support using high pressure washers on you bike? I don't cause lots of comments from some in the know tend to frown on this practice. 

If it doesn't need it, then I don't use it. Sometimes you don't have a choice, like after a super muddy race and the mud has dried a bit when you get home. I think if you have to use it, then try not to blast the dirt into the bottom bearing in the headset.