Am I Doing It Wrong? - Bike Cleaning

Andrew_Smith

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, you guys are hardcore!!

my bike gets rinsed with the hose pipe, and only if its kinda really dirty.

It gets washed by me, maybe twice a year, or it is the LBS that does the wash when they fix bits and bobs or service said bits and bobs.

spend more time drinking wine and riding bikes. Sometimes at the same time.

But my word, an hour and a half every 70km or after every race. That is like a bike wash every two days during the week and twice on a weekend. Nee donnner, life is to short.

I too only clean my bike when it really dirty. 

After the muddy ride, my bike was probably not cleaned for two months (by that I mean the whole bike).

The last part is my fault... I will correct it now. What I meant by every 70km is not actually cleaning the whole bike, but re-lubing my chain.

But I do care about my bike and want my components to last.

Edited by Andrew_Smith

Chain clean: remove and drop in bowl of washing powder (mixed with water). Leave for a few minutes, wipe off. Dry and lube well overnight before next ride. Best ever.

The rest is really only an aesthetic thing: clean if you like it clean. Careful with pressure cleaners anywhere near forks, shocks, headset, bb, bearings and pivots etc.

After a real muddy ride it would make sense to give it a hose off especially drive train. Muck build-up a problem notably when dried and caked.

In WC, as long as you stay within your 100l per day, you might need to sacrifice a shower for yourself. Or better, shower with your bike :clap: :whistling:

Interesting read about the washing powder. And you say it works perfectly for you? Do you use dry or wet lube? 

I used to use paraffin to clean my chains, but then I shelled out for some Muc-off degreaser, and what a pleasure. Firstly, it doesn't make your hands, garage or bike stink and secondly it seems to work a lot quicker. Just spray it on the drivetrain, agitate it around with a brush or sponge, leave for 5-minutes and then rinse off.

I am pretty sure the other citrus-based degreasers would work just as well. I just haven't tried them yet.

As for regular cleaning, when you are running really expensive chains and cassettes, getting the max longevity out of them is a priority for me. Keeping my stuff clean does help reduce wear.

Muc-Off Degreaser, like this one? 

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/muc-off-chain-cleaner

I totally agree with your ending sentence, I also like my stuff clean to reduce the wear, although I am not riding really expensive chains and cassettes (I still do care for it).

Oh and on the topic of using Sunlight soap to wash your bike, I have heard that it is a really bad idea because it contains abrasive crystals which will eventually dull the paint and cause oxidation on parts. It's probably best to look at using a non-abrasive cleaner such as proper car wash soap or bike wash.

What! Really? I use Sunlight liquid with water to pretty much was my whole bike: Frame, fork stanchions & outer, drivetrain.

Then I'll have to get a bike wash.

I wash my bike after every ride. Only ever use paraffin on the chain & cassette . Have a paint brush with a little bowl and 5L of paraffin. Small bottles are expensive ????

And only use smoove lube ????

Have a sponge for general washing and toothbrush and small clothes for the hard to reach areas. Couple times a month take of wheels and give the bike the OCD treatment.

Never use clean greennhave been told it has some harmful chemical that eventually eats the chain linkages etc. True or not I don't use it ever!

the chain the only thing you must clean

and never lube a dirty chain

chainpig dude :thumbup:

On my purchase list, thanks!

Is Park Tool the way to go or can I buy a cheaper one?

A while back one of the hubbers mentioned using paraffin wax (i.e. candle wax) as chain lube. If you go to the trouble, then you don't need to clean your chain at all.

About once a week you remove the chain and rinse the chain in a pot of molten candle wax. It removes whatever dirt there is on the chain, also coats the chain with new wax. The wax gets inside the rollers and pins, also not much dirt can stick to dry wax, unlike chain lube which actually attracts quite a lot of dirt.

There are plenty of "how to" guides on Youtube on how to wax chains with candle wax, and as a lube it actually out performs commercial chain lubes.

Some good suggestions here thanks.

I wash my bike 9/10 after every ride and I enjoy it.

Chain Pig is King.

Will investigate the Smoove Prep.

Edited by Lighthouse

Some good suggestions here thanks.

I was my bike 9/10 after every ride and I enjoy it.

Chain Pig is King.

Will investigate the Smoove Prep.

Are these available locally here in SA or more specifically CPT?

I bought a Fuji Newest training bike back in 2011, its an 2001 model I think...

I wash the bike once every year (I havent yet this year)...

I've done 17000km on it per strava and I've replaced the chain and cassette once. The rear derailleur touches the spokes and it sounds like an ice-cream cart when I'm in the easiest gear which is 39/23...so not always so easy.

I'm treating it to new 10spd goodies this week. I think she deserves it.

post-16406-0-04032800-1497361806_thumb.jpg

I bought a Fuji Newest training bike back in 2011, its an 2001 model I think...

I wash the bike once every year (I havent yet this year)...

I've done 17000km on it per strava and I've replaced the chain and cassette once. The rear derailleur touches the spokes and it sounds like an ice-cream cart when I'm in the easiest gear which is 39/23...so not always so easy.

I'm treating it to new 10spd goodies this week. I think she deserves it.

Roadie.... So Does not count [emoji6]

On my purchase list, thanks!

Is Park Tool the way to go or can I buy a cheaper one?

I've used the cheaper ones before, one was from CWC and can't remember where the other one was from. They both worked well and lasted about 18 months. Finally got the Parktool one and it's just so much better, easier to use and seems like it'll last for ages.