Am I Doing It Wrong? - Bike Cleaning

Andrew_Smith

Muc-Off Degreaser, like this one? 

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/muc-off-chain-cleaner

I totally agree with your ending sentence, I also like my stuff clean to reduce the wear, although I am not riding really expensive chains and cassettes (I still do care for it).

What! Really? I use Sunlight liquid with water to pretty much was my whole bike: Frame, fork stanchions & outer, drivetrain.

Then I'll have to get a bike wash.

No this one: https://www.easybike.co.za/muc-off-bio-drivetrain-cleaner.html

Can't find it on the Sportsmans site.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't find it on the Sportsmans site.

Correct, think this was an in store promotion as only saw it when I was at the Tokai branch.

Interesting read about the washing powder. And you say it works perfectly for you? Do you use dry or wet lube? 

Yes works great. Got the tip from a pro mechanic. I use only dry lube.

Also, what you can use to clean your bike parts are probiotics. New cleaning trend..

Andrew for better or worse I also prefer a clean bike ....

"dusty" ride - damp rag, wipe down the bike.  Close inspection of the chain - if dirty it gets cleaned, else just a lube.

"muddy" bike - invest in a multi-function garden hose nozzle - http://claber.us/product/multifunction-garden-hose-spray-pistol/ 

Nice LIGHT mist to wash down the mud (no hard jets that can direct dirt into any bearings.

I prefer to have the bike on a bike stand.

Remove the rear wheel - but then you need a "chain stay", now you have so much more access ... :)

IF the mud is real bad, try some NamBravo.  Light spray, let it soak for a minute, wash down. http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/nam-bravo-bike-wash

NamCharlie for the chain.

Take a moment to dry down the bike properly.

Then lube the chain

The whole process takes only a few minutes.

A while back one of the hubbers mentioned using paraffin wax (i.e. candle wax) as chain lube. If you go to the trouble, then you don't need to clean your chain at all.

About once a week you remove the chain and rinse the chain in a pot of molten candle wax. It removes whatever dirt there is on the chain, also coats the chain with new wax. The wax gets inside the rollers and pins, also not much dirt can stick to dry wax, unlike chain lube which actually attracts quite a lot of dirt.

There are plenty of "how to" guides on Youtube on how to wax chains with candle wax, and as a lube it actually out performs commercial chain lubes.

This one pops up every now and then. I did this religiously for some years once a week, chain off, total clean-up of bike and drivetrain. Chain cleaned and then cooked up in a serious concoction of candle wax, beeswax and graphite powder. (Yes, Google it) Drive train smooooth and quiet.

It's a lot of effort, but it worked (or so I believed at the time)

Candle wax is not a chain lube, no sir, it's candle wax.

In hindsight, I am sure what made everything work so well was the regular deep cleaning.

Nowadays? When I feel guilty I clean off the dust, and lube the chain. With oil, not wax, that's for candles.

This one pops up every now and then. I did this religiously for some years once a week, chain off, total clean-up of bike and drivetrain. Chain cleaned and then cooked up in a serious concoction of candle wax, beeswax and graphite powder. (Yes, Google it) Drive train smooooth and quiet.

It's a lot of effort, but it worked (or so I believed at the time)

Candle wax is not a chain lube, no sir, it's candle wax.

In hindsight, I am sure what made everything work so well was the regular deep cleaning.

Nowadays? When I feel guilty I clean off the dust, and lube the chain. With oil, not wax, that's for candles.

I think it does work, but its a schlep. So to be honest, I just use chain lube and clean my chain on weekends like anyone else. As you have discovered.

There was a controlled study published by Friction Facts website which you I can send you. The paraffin wax method outperformed all other commercial lubes by miles. It was worth a few watts (like 3) apparently.

What I noticed is that it kept the chain really clean, so that alone is a good reason to use on long MTB races.

i haven't had the time to read the whole thread but a few things from a couple of the posts i have read.

• wash you bike after every single ride, muddy or not, the dust etc will destroy bearings as even sealed bearing get fine dust into them and this creates a grinding paste.
  • never ever use sunlight or handy andy, these are chemical yes but also contain abrasive particles to help get the surfaces they are meant to be used, these are very fine but after time you will notice the paint and clear coat will become cloudy as a result.
  • yes invest in a chain c leaner and water based degreaser.
  • i use builders warehouse pink stuff with a soft horse brush and in a spray bottle, gets the bike shiny clean every time.
  • only use wet lube for wet conditions and dry lube for dry conditions, if you are doing a ride where it looks threatening use an intermediate lube.
  • never ever ever use a high pressure washer!!!!!
  • i dry with a rag and a little baby oil on the frame, makes my baby look brand new every time( just a little dont try lube her up like your wife trying to get lucky)
  • use a clean dry rag to dry the chain and leave the bike in the sun to dry the cassette.
  • i use rock shox/ Sram Butter to greaese my fork stanchions and shock stanchion, its designed to work and it does, suspension feels brand new every time.

thats my bike routine, takes about 30 min and my baby looks brand new almost 3 years after buying her!!