Pros & Cons of EVOL Upgrade

Two-Stroke

After doing some reading about the extra volume that EVOL offers in Fox's range of shocks, I'm not 100% clear on what the nett effect would be for your average rider.

To those in the know:

What are the pros and cons of running a shock with EVOL vs the same model without EVOL?  I understand how the extra volume improves small bump sensitivity, but does this come with a trade-off of the shock feeling "less firm" or sacrificing efficiency?

Recently ditched my Epic for a Camber which came fitted with a:

FOX FLOAT Performance, Rx Trail Tune, AUTOSAG, DPS damper, rebound and 3-position compression adjust, 205x53mm"

I weigh approx 95kg and opted for the Camber because it bring much more comfort and trail capability than the Epic, but doesn't sacrifice too much efficiency for longer marathon-style races and the occasional tar outing (one bike for all applications kinda vibe).

Is an EVOL aircan upgrade for the shock something worth considering?

The larger negative spring will improve sensitivity in the initial stroke, and should provide additional midstroke support depending on the leverage curve of the linkage.

The only other difference it'll make to you is that you'll end up running much higher pressures to get your sag right.

That said, there's most likely a reason that Spez didn't spec it as original equipment - I know from chatting to suspension designers that certain linkage designs don't play well with the larger negative springs in EVOL and Debonair cans.

I had the evolution ctd and kept bottoming out the shock on smallish hits. Kept adding air, playing with rebound etc. The also came across the Evol and the vorsprung. Decided to do the air can upgrade over the entire shock. I have some satisfying results.

As Droo stated, better small bump, alot more air is needed to set sag and I now use most of the stroke vs bottoming out. 

Overall, it is better than what I had, but could do with something much better, but it will have to do for now.

That said, there's most likely a reason that Spez didn't spec it as original equipment - I know from chatting to suspension designers that certain linkage designs don't play well with the larger negative springs in EVOL and Debonair cans.

Thanks Droo!

This is the kicker and reason I'm trying to do some homework.  From my limited understanding, manufacturers would spec and tune a rear shock to compliment their suspension design.  Fiddling with the tune will either improve on it (in context of the specific variation you as an individual want from the bike), or simply just get it quite wrong and ruin the ride.

The other consideration that came to mind reading your comment, is that the Fox shocks Spez use have the "Autosag" gimmick.  Is this a fundamentally different shock design compared to say the garden variety Fox Float DPS, or is it the same shock with an extra valve bolted on? 

Thanks Droo!

This is the kicker and reason I'm trying to do some homework.  From my limited understanding, manufacturers would spec and tune a rear shock to compliment their suspension design.  Fiddling with the tune will either improve on it (in context of the specific variation you as an individual want from the bike), or simply just get it quite wrong and ruin the ride.

The other consideration that came to mind reading your comment, is that the Fox shocks Spez use have the "Autosag" gimmick.  Is this a fundamentally different shock design compared to say the garden variety Fox Float DPS, or is it the same shock with an extra valve bolted on? 

The Autosag is just a different air can, nothing else on the shock changes.

The Autosag is just a different air can, nothing else on the shock changes.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but is servicing the autosag shocks exactly the same then as their non autosag counterparts?

Also same parts needed to service?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but is servicing the autosag shocks exactly the same then as their non autosag counterparts?

Also same parts needed to service?

There are 2 extra o-rings in the air can which you'll only ever need to change if they leak. Which I haven't seen yet.

There are 2 extra o-rings in the air can which you'll only ever need to change if they leak. Which I haven't seen yet.

Thanks