Smart indoor trainer - which one?

marie-louise

Chaps, CWC is having a cracker sale on the flow smart.

I just want to make sure I understand this all. We buy the trainer and can pair it to a cell phone to use the tacx app.

If Mrs Slowbee would also like to use her HR strap then we need the ANT+ dongle thingy to connect to a laptop which has to be nearby ?

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless the HR Strap is Bluetooth it can't connect to the phone (unless it's a Samsun with ANT+ support). I'm not quite sure if you can connect the strap to the trainer and then to the phone - I wouldn't think so.

Chaps, CWC is having a cracker sale on the flow smart.

I just want to make sure I understand this all. We buy the trainer and can pair it to a cell phone to use the tacx app.

If Mrs Slowbee would also like to use her HR strap then we need the ANT+ dongle thingy to connect to a laptop which has to be nearby ?

Tacx app is crap. Very buggy when it comes to connecting and very limited functionality

You might as well use a normal idt

Does the HR strap not connect to the phone ? or do we need some special magic for this?

im using a normal

polar h7 hr monitor with zwift witch is not ant +, i pair everything through zwift mobile link. no ant + dongle needed.

Oh one more thing for mobile link to work your phone and pc or laptop should be on the same network.

what i noticed with pairing through mobile link though is there is a slight delay to zwift when for example when you start pedling hard it takes a second or two to get to the watts on screen.not sure if ant + is faster.

Edited by Be4dawn

Does the HR strap not connect to the phone ? or do we need some special magic for this?

Before i had a garmin, I used Strava on my samsung. I bought a BLE( bluetooth low energy) heart rate strap, paired with my phone with no issues. It was a Runtastic Heart rate strap. I'm going to be putting it in the classifieds soon.( just saying).

just make sure your mobile device has BLE feature.

Waiting for arrival of kickr snap. Got it on cyber Monday deal at Sportsmanswarehouse of all places. R10K less R2k discount plus an extra 15% off for Vitality. R6.8k which I am pairing with Garmin 1000 bundle from CWC Black Friday.

I am now broke but excited and for some unexplained reasons the missus doesn't share my excitement. Not sure whats wrong with her.

Tacx app is crap. Very buggy when it comes to connecting and very limited functionality

You might as well use a normal idt

fanie, for now, its free and allows the use of importing your own GPS routes.

we will move to other apps if Mrs Slowbee takes to the trainer.

your reckon the tacx flow is a decent trainer for a back marker rider wanting something a little more interesting that what an old ravx magnetic trainer (with that cable adjustment thingy) does?

Tacx Flow Flux is a great trainer, but best suited to something like Zwift which gives you a virtual course, if piquing interest is what you're after. If you're gonna stick to normal power based apps, I don't see much benefit of getting a full smart trainer - unless you're going to be doing ERG-based workouts.

Edit: Brainfart last night, I was thinking of the Flux. I know nothing about the Flow.

Edited by bertusras

Only Samsung and Sony phones have built-in ANT+ support, if I'm not mistaken.

There are quite a few HR straps that do both ANT+ and Bluetooth (Wahoo Tickr), then you can use it with your phone or Garmin/etc. Add it to your wishlist and wait until it is on special ;)

You could also use an OTG adapter and an ANT+ USB dongle, that will cost just a bit less than a dual-capable new strap.

fanie, for now, its free and allows the use of importing your own GPS routes.

we will move to other apps if Mrs Slowbee takes to the trainer.

your reckon the tacx flow is a decent trainer for a back marker rider wanting something a little more interesting that what an old ravx magnetic trainer (with that cable adjustment thingy) does?

last time I tried the app the GPX import function was not fully operational (I see it is now).

Maybe I must give it a go again.

I have a flux, so can't really comment on the flow.

One piece of advise I can give you is to get the biggest baddest fan you can get

Only Samsung and Sony phones have built-in ANT+ support, if I'm not mistaken.

There are quite a few HR straps that do both ANT+ and Bluetooth (Wahoo Tickr), then you can use it with your phone or Garmin/etc. Add it to your wishlist and wait until it is on special ;)

You could also use an OTG adapter and an ANT+ USB dongle, that will cost just a bit less than a dual-capable new strap.

Take a look at the PowerCal from PowerTap, its a HR sensor that is both ANT+ & BLE so will work on iOS devices as well as Garmin. It also gives live power data when paired to the likes of a Garmin and riding outside. May well be worth it if you training with power during the week and don't have a PM for the weekend rides. 

https://www.bicyclepower.co.za/product/powertap-powercal/

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, I have a question I think has been asked quite a few times before.

What is the difference between direct drive and on wheel smart trainers.

I can afford a Kickr or that price range equivalent, but is it worth double the kickr snap(or equivalent)? In terms of training quality.

Will a direct drive trainer be better for my training, or can will something like the snap be fine?

I get my training from my coach and use TrainingPeaks as software

Edited by Jurgens Smit

I can afford a Kickr or that price range equivalent, but is it worth double the kickr snap(or equivalent)? In terms of training quality.

Will a direct drive trainer be better for my training, or can will something like the snap be fine?

Check what the Lama has to say...

You training mainly using a MTB or road bike? 

I prefer the feeling of direct drive on the MTB. 

You training mainly using a MTB or road bike? 

I prefer the feeling of direct drive on the MTB. 

Roadbike.

What worries me is the claimed accuracy on the snap and equivalents. 5% is enough to put you in a different training zone entirely, should you have to compensate for that, or does the spindown calibration you do after the warm up get it spot on?

Edited by Jurgens Smit