3x8 to 1x10

PaulieV

I have a 29er with 3x8 which is obviously very old tech. Guy at bike shop says its a major project to go 1 x10 or 1x11. Need to change pretty much everything except the frame and bars. Is that legit?

I have a 29er with 3x8 which is obviously very old tech. Guy at bike shop says its a major project to go 1 x10 or 1x11. Need to change pretty much everything except the frame and bars. Is that legit?

Sorry friend. I think he is telling the truth.

You need to change your Shifter(s), cassette, chain. Then, if your crankset has removable chainrings, they need to be removed and replaced with a N/W chainring and single cjainring specific bolts; or your old bolts with spacers.

If your chainrings aren't removable, you need a new crankset as well.

Do yourself a favour and google "1x10 conversion". When you've read 5 or so articles/threads on it, you'll have a pretty good idea of pros/cons of everything, and you'll know what's neccesary

1x10 shifter

10spd cassette

10spd rear derailleur

Then dump all your front rings and buy a rapidé 32t nw the chain ring bolts will work depending on the type of crank you have. To be honest I don't think it's an all doom and gloom situation like they make out at the bike store.

You can pickup your groupset second hand for very cheap off the hub I dunno why they would say change everything

1x10 shifter

10spd cassette

10spd rear derailleur

Then dump all your front rings and buy a rapidé 32t nw the chain ring bolts will work depending on the type of crank you have. To be honest I don't think it's an all doom and gloom situation like they make out at the bike store.

You can pickup your groupset second hand for very cheap off the hub I dunno why they would say change everything

Because it's a bike shop. Not all are the same I know, but mense, I've heard some mechanics speak and it's just like 'whaaaaat'??? Some are pretty darn clueless, really. Always investigate properly before believing a LBS...

If a 10spd cassette can fit on your existing back wheel spline then yes, it's possible. You'll just have to replace the entire drive train and shifters. 

Not certain how much work is needed on the crank (removable rings etc). 

But good luck, if you decide to pursue, please update us regularly! 

If a 10spd cassette can fit on your existing back wheel spline then yes, it's possible. You'll just have to replace the entire drive train and shifters.

Not certain how much work is needed on the crank (removable rings etc).

But good luck, if you decide to pursue, please update us regularly!

8-9-10 speed all work on the same freehub. It's only a few brands that can accommodate 11-speed.

I'm running 3x9 and won't splash any money on upgrades - better to save a bit and get a new/used bike that matches the need, as the cost for a complete new/used bike will be close to the upgrade cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you come to it buy a Kalbo Chainring , they last alot longer than other 1x10 chainrings and offer great support if you run into trouble! O and it's locally made!

I'm in a similar position wanting to go from 3x9 to 1x11 or 1x10 need new brakes and shifters as I currently have st's plan to buy shifters and brakes and derailleur on the hub and cluster,chain and chainring new over time gonna ride my 3x tot hy k k

Buying piece by piece here on the hub is big fun. Also not too expensive as all these guys are "wheeler and dealers" and will consider all decent offers.

You also do not need to buy every component in one go. Take your time and the right deals will come along.

:thumbup: