Skills/techniques for beginners

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a bit of help. I am looking at getting into this sport and have been for while, so it is only inevitable until I start.

The point of this post is regarding actually going for a ride. Now I have searched this section, however, nothing came up to exactly what I am looking for. See below a couple questions I have:

1. I have 'ridden' a mtb before, but some years ago when I was a kid. Riding mtb on a trail I suspect is very different. What are the very first techniques/positioning/skills one should pay attention to honing when out on a trail?
  2. Trail markings - how easy is the 'easy route'? is it for the wife and kids, and one gets very bored quickly there? or is it the perfect route to get started?
  3. Certain skillsets (hopping etc.) are needed. Best way to learn these?
  4. I am relatively fit (swimming 1k to 2k in a training session and play a bit of sports on the weekend), however, I am sure mtb fit is a different story. How far should one go on their first venture out? without being to short but not long enough to kill me and make me never want to come back? Also, best way to increase the distance as you go along?
  5. Tech that is vital to measure the ride? Is a Garmin computer which costs a couple grand necessary for someone who is new? Or would Strava prove to be a better starting point?

I know the majority of these questions are loaded, and would depend on me as a person, so do not focus on that. What I am looking at gaining out of these questions is how YOU did it, as personal experience can be adapted and holds invaluable lessons.

Thanks very much :clap:

My suggestion is to get to a place like Northern Farms, get on the green and blue route (they are very do-able with some fun sections) and figure out your way from there.

Riding your bike is the only way to find out what you can do/not do, will need/not need etc.

Have fun and enjoy it.

Edited by Lighthouse

My suggestion is to get to a place like Northern Farms, get on the green and blue route (they are very do-able with some fun sections) and figure out your way from there.

Riding your bike is the only way to find out what you can do/not do, will need/not need etc.

Have fun and enjoy it.

Ill Second Northern Farms Awesome place to ride, Start out with the green Route which is 12km farm tracks and when you comfortable with that take on the blue which is pretty much the same just more single track

Welcome Juddvdb.

Other than Northern Farms, you could try Modderfontein which has a similar offering. Route markers were easy to follow last time I was there.
The shorter routes at the trail parks tend to follow wider outer paths while the longer routes zigzag within and sometimes cross the shorter routes to get the mileage, making them twistier single-tracks.

Tips starting out (if you haven't already) >> SPD/clipless pedals. Convert to tubeless tires and lower pressures improve bike handling incredibly.

Welcome Juddvdb.

Other than Northern Farms, you could try Modderfontein which has a similar offering. Route markers were easy to follow last time I was there.

The shorter routes at the trail parks tend to follow wider outer paths while the longer routes zigzag within and sometimes cross the shorter routes to get the mileage, making them twistier single-tracks.

Tips starting out (if you haven't already) >> SPD/clipless pedals. Convert to tubeless tires and lower pressures improve bike handling incredibly.

Could you explain a bit more about clip less pedals? I know 2 types of pedals???? ones that come with the bike, and ones that require cleats

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Could you explain a bit more about clip less pedals? I know 2 types of pedals ones that come with the bike, and ones that require cleats

'Clipped' pedals were the predecessors to clippless, which had toe-clips that you would use to strap the shoe fast into the pedal. 

A bit confusing because now you do actually clip into 'clippless' pedals using cleats. :blink: Also known as SPDs or cleated pedals. Usually two-sided for MTB with a clip either side.

So I'm suggesting

cleated shoes and pedals for better bike control and pedaling.

'Clipped' pedals were the predecessors to clippless, which had toe-clips that you would use to strap the shoe fast into the pedal. 

A bit confusing because now you do actually clip into 'clippless' pedals using cleats. :blink: Also known as SPDs or cleated pedals. Usually two-sided for MTB with a clip either side.

So I'm suggesting

Actually in OP's case flat pedals will be better seeing as he doesn't know how skilled he is(or isn't)

Also cheaper as he won't have to buy new pedals, cleats and shoes and go for a setup.

And there is no science to support that claim. As has been mentioned infinite times on the Hub, beginners should learn skills on flats before progressing to clipless.

A bit confusing because now you do actually clip into 'clippless' pedals using cleats. :blink: Also known as SPDs or cleated pedals. Usually two-sided for MTB with a clip either side.

So I'm suggesting

Great stuff! Easy enough to understand. Now to find clipless in size 13 when I struggle to find normal shoes on 13 ????????

Great stuff! Easy enough to understand. Now to find clipless in size 13 when I struggle to find normal shoes on 13

Hi, I suggest you stay with flats for now. Rather learn the basics of riding and how to ride before you go with spds.

If you need to make a quick bail you want your feet to be free, with clipless its not that easy. Ones you have the confidence then clipless will be no problem. 

Hi Judd

Welcome to the darkside!!

I second Northern Farms, you can also look at Big Red Barn. The easy trails are very very chilled but still scenic enough to enjoy the ride. It is also an easy place to progress and develop your skills as there are "easy" rocky sections, small jumps etc all the way do decent sized 2+ meter gap jumps, flowing single track etc.

As for the pedals, my suggestion is to stay on flat pedals. This will allow you to learn all the basics without worrying about getting your feet out. Many people are actually moving back to (high quality) flat pedals as it makes life so much easier.

Your best option is just to ride and get used to the bike. Stay on flat pedals for now but consider a semi decent pair of flats with pins (The Trailhead has a few options of cheaper flats).

One could write an encyclopedia on your questions 1 and 3 which some have done. If I could offer a few pieces of advice:

Stand more on the bike. Learn to get into the attack position to tackle any descents or obstacles: weight on your feet, back horizontal, head over stem, elbows out but relaxed, hips behind saddle, drop your heels, look ahead, not down.

http://pedaladventures.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/attackposition.jpg

Important to feel your full bodyweight pushing through your feet. You think you're low but you aren't. Look down and you should see your stem right there. As the gradient becomes steeper you actually have to back pedal a bit to keep the cranks level with the horizon. If you don't your weight will be pitched forward onto the bars. Try to relax your limbs as much and possible to absorb rocks, roots etc.

As for bunny hopping etc, it's much easier to show someone than try to explain. Most intermediate riders in my skills class take between 5 and 15 minutes to get the basics.

Fantastic. Thanks very much for the help guys. 

So flats over clipless

Actually go ride instead of trying to read about riding

Ride some more....

Think that sums it up. One last question, is it worth tracking your first couple of rides i.e. on strava or a gps of sorts?

Fantastic. Thanks very much for the help guys. 

So flats over clipless

Actually go ride instead of trying to read about riding

Ride some more....

Think that sums it up. One last question, is it worth tracking your first couple of rides i.e. on strava or a gps of sorts?

It's personal preference. Just add the app on your smartphone. It adds an element of fun as long as you don't get too serious about beating strava times as it's not that accurate.

Learn to ride slow ......... as in very slow!

It will teach you how to move your body around the bike and teach you to "feel" how the bike responds to input. 

Track stand

Tight figure of eight, or try and ride around pole as tightly / closely as you can

Judd I am back on a bike after nearly 20 years of it ....

I started with a "hard tail" bike, ie it has a front shock but nothing in the back.  This is weapon of choise for the young racers .. and the affordable option for us getting back in the game.  Works fine for "normal trails", but if you encounter a lot of bumps your body feels the punch .... I opted to get a full suspension bike (TREK Fuel EX5).  VERY happy, though it is an overkill for the distance I do.

Pedals - I am currently using the "flat pedals".  It really works nicely for ME.  I have no desire to for clips or cleats or whatever else at the moment.

Saddle - started with a nice soft saddle, one of those R1000 jobbies the bike shop is just to glad to sell you .... the Trek has its standard hard saddle on and works perfectly !  Rather put that money towards cycling pants with the built in padding

Helmet - Get one that FITS your head properly !  Heads are not the same, nor are helmets the same ....  I have a Scott helmet that really fits super comfortably, AND it vents properly.

Gloves .... uhm ja, some would say you should invest in gloves ....

Computer ..... eye sight ?????  I have a Polar watch, with hart rate monitor.  BRILLIANT to record my progress !!!!!!!!!!!!!  GOOD to see how I have progressed in 7 months !  But not as if I can really read the digits on the watch while riding - arm too short, no glasses, take you pick ....  The only time I WANTED to read the data mid ride was with a fun-ride - wanted to check the distance so I could pace myself ....  This may become more of an issue/need as I do more fun rides .... so I am looking at a Garmin handle bar mount type system - large print.  But I cant justify a gazillion zim dollars for this .....  let's see what the experienced riders share.

GEARING - suffering bust knees I had to make sure my bike has low enough gears for the steep hills.  Fortunately easy enough to swop out gears today.  MANY option available to tailer the bike to your needs.

TEST RIDE - if you have not bought a bike yet, try to test ride a few options from your local bike shop (LBS).  Most shops now have demo models.  You need to test if you prefer a "cross country" or "trail" bike.  Might look similar, but dig into the spec sheets and these are set up way differently !!  And when you start testing them you will FEEL the differences !!

TIRES - go tubeless.  You wont regret it.

ENJOY the journey !