Joberg2Vaal

Nakoota

Howdy!

I'm busy training for Berg and Bush and the thought of 5-6 hours on a mountain bike lapping the same venue is ***.

A mate of mine has a place at the Vaal Marina and I was wondering if anyone had a route mapped out to get from somewhere around joberg (east or south) to the vaal marina using as few tarred roads as possible. There must be enough district and public farm roads to almost make the trip without having to dodge too many maniacs in traffic.

Open to distance variations but i guess 100km to 120km would be the goal.

Any ideas?

Hi Nakoota

Search for the DOC group on Facebook, as we regularly ride to Stilbaai Yacht club from Alberton. There is only about 15 km of tar road riding between Henley on Klip and Suikerbosrand reserve, and the rest on gravel road.

From the Marina you can also head out to Grootvlei and Balfour along nice gravel roads.

Thanks! Could you spot me a link to the group, FB is failing on the search results for DOC. Did Google it and got something about Dilapidated Old Cronies but FB is failing on that too.

Thanks! Could you spot me a link to the group, FB is failing on the search results for DOC. Did Google it and got something about Dilapidated Old Cronies but FB is failing on that too.

It's DOC Cycling on Facebook...let me know if you can't find it

Got it now, FB doing funny things - thanks! How frequently do you do the Vaal ride and anyone got gpx files of public roads to ride if you don't have a group riding?

Cheers for the info.