What and with what to monitor your cycling stats ?

ChrisF

JIP, I can upload from Polar to Strava.

But could I link two different devices to a single Strava account ?  Thus use the Polar with the commute, and the "new unit" on the trail bike ... and have a single point to track my progress (granted it wont be a direct comparison as it would be different routes)

Should not be a problem at all - I don't think the device itself is linked to Strava, just a link between the Garmin/Wahoo/Bryton/Lezyne/Polar service which automatically syncs the workout to your Strava account.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

JIP, I can upload from Polar to Strava.

But could I link two different devices to a single Strava account ?  Thus use the Polar with the commute, and the "new unit" on the trail bike ... and have a single point to track my progress (granted it wont be a direct comparison as it would be different routes)

I am can't see why not.  Strava does allow for multiple devices and you can upload from multiple sources. 

I am can't see why not.  Strava does allow for multiple devices and you can upload from multiple sources. 

perfect, that answers that question  :)

Go Garmin, you'll end up there eventually anyway

I initially bought myself a TomTom Runner 3 Cardio, which is a multisport GPS watch with heart rate monitoring etc, but I got it in order to track more than my cycling stuff. I wanted something that would track my whole day, steps and all, to submit to Momentum for ActiveDayz.

That being said, I later got a Garmin 500 from a friend which I promptly upgraded to a 520 and have now disabled the cycling sync to Momentum and Strava from the TomTom, using my Garmin stats exclusively. It's a lot more accurate, and because it's a purpose-built device for cycling, it packages my stats in a way that's a lot more applicable and easy to digest that that of the TomTom.

Also, Garmin after sales service is incredible. You essentially have a device for live, because if and when it becomes buggered, whether it's your own fault (drop, crash, etc) or factory (?), the replacement process is awesome and inexpensive. Definitely get a Garmin. Get a secondhand one, use it till it's buggered, then do a out of warranty upgrade. Best plan ever.

Why Strava ?

I understand the use if you want to compare stats with buddies, use it to join up with them using the live tracking, etc.

But I only want to record for my own use.

You can set all of your logged rides to private if you do not feel the need to share it with anyone, but the free version of Strava, again like the Garmin, packages your ride information in a format that's easy to work with and gives you a mountain of statistics to compare to previous rides, etc. Personally, I like checking the satellite view of my rides and kicking myself in the head when I see I missed an awesome piece of trail when checking the satellite view haha

Get a secondhand one, use it till it's buggered, then do a out of warranty upgrade. Best plan ever.

That should go up as the tip of the month  :thumbup:

You can set all of your logged rides to private if you do not feel the need to share it with anyone, but the free version of Strava, again like the Garmin, packages your ride information in a format that's easy to work with and gives you a mountain of statistics to compare to previous rides, etc. Personally, I like checking the satellite view of my rides and kicking myself in the head when I see I missed an awesome piece of trail when checking the satellite view haha

I also like to network with people and the look at what routes they ride.  The flyby option of Strava also gives nice ideas for new routes.

yes you can link different devices to your Strava account without issues.

I have Garmin Connect, Trainer Road and Zwift.

yes you can link different devices to your Strava account without issues.

I have Garmin Connect, Trainer Road and Zwift.

But then each of them uploads their own version of your ride and you end up with Strava telling you that you rode with 2 of your best friends: Me, Myself and I :D That happened before I set my TomTom profile to not automatically share to Strava. I only use my Garmin for that now. But I DID link everything to Momentum, because they just take the log with the most steps / calories and use that to determine whether I qualify for ActiveDayz or not.

I first used my Apple Watch for MTB cycling (mostly to get the Discovery Vitality points) and then ran Strava on my iPhone to track my ride.

First problems experienced was that my heart rate wasn't being read consistently on the Watch - in fact it stopped reading heart rate for quite a bit of the rides (maybe the bumping/shaking?). I then got the Garmin Edge 25 with a heart rate sensor strap. This allowed syncing to Discovery Vitality (avg heart rate workout data) and did the upload to Strava (GPS, heart rate data), so I didn't need to use my iPhone. The Edge 25 also allows a cadence sensor to be used (I've not done that). After a ride it syncs to my iPhone via Bluetooth and uploads to Garmin Connect, then automatically to Strava, Discovery, Training Peaks, whatever...

2nd problem was actually reading the watch as it's hard to sometimes take your hand off the bars. The Garmin screen is small, but very readable and you can customize the screens as you wish (see here) to show heart rate (and cadence if you have the sensor) on the same screen as other stats. GPS has worked great on my rides and battery is fine.

I felt I didn't need the 520 as I didn't need navigation nor any of the other fancy stats (yet?).

Then how do I measure:

I use Strava to compare myself to myself. Nothing like experiencing a ride as harder than the previous one at the same track, just to see you've actually gone faster on the same segment. Or seeing how you do on the day on each segment under the same conditions...I can then "see" my improvements after every ride. Very motivating.

I also use use Stravistix Chrome Plugin for Strava. Loads of extra stats and what I find useful is the Fitness Trend graph. (how this works, look here). The fitness trend allows you to see the effect of your training over time.

I'd suggest getting a HRM, either a Garmin Edge 25 like me, or something bigger that can run both the heart rate and cadence and gather the stats. 

- Heart Rate to stop yourself burning all your matches on spinning too fast up the climb. (you can set audible alerts based on heart rate).

- The Cadence sensor to actually measure the spin 

Then Sync everything to Strava and track stats with Stravistix and compare how your ride went and how you knees feel over multiple rides.  

Get the Garmin Edge 520.

It has everything you will ever need, including functionality for heart rate monitors, cadence sensors, power meters etc.

Screen is easy to view and unit is very simple to use...

But then each of them uploads their own version of your ride and you end up with Strava telling you that you rode with 2 of your best friends: Me, Myself and I :D That happened before I set my TomTom profile to not automatically share to Strava. I only use my Garmin for that now. But I DID link everything to Momentum, because they just take the log with the most steps / calories and use that to determine whether I qualify for ActiveDayz or not.

Why would you record your ride on different devices in the first place ??

I first used my Apple Watch for MTB cycling (mostly to get the Discovery Vitality points) and then ran Strava on my iPhone to track my ride.

First problems experienced was that my heart rate wasn't being read consistently on the Watch - in fact it stopped reading heart rate for quite a bit of the rides (maybe the bumping/shaking?). I then got the Garmin Edge 25 with a heart rate sensor strap. This allowed syncing to Discovery Vitality (avg heart rate workout data) and did the upload to Strava (GPS, heart rate data), so I didn't need to use my iPhone. The Edge 25 also allows a cadence sensor to be used (I've not done that). After a ride it syncs to my iPhone via Bluetooth and uploads to Garmin Connect, then automatically to Strava, Discovery, Training Peaks, whatever...

2nd problem was actually reading the watch as it's hard to sometimes take your hand off the bars. The Garmin screen is small, but very readable and you can customize the screens as you wish (see here) to show heart rate (and cadence if you have the sensor) on the same screen as other stats. GPS has worked great on my rides and battery is fine.

I felt I didn't need the 520 as I didn't need navigation nor any of the other fancy stats (yet?).

Then how do I measure:

I use Strava to compare myself to myself. Nothing like experiencing a ride as harder than the previous one at the same track, just to see you've actually gone faster on the same segment. Or seeing how you do on the day on each segment under the same conditions...I can then "see" my improvements after every ride. Very motivating.

I also use use Stravistix Chrome Plugin for Strava. Loads of extra stats and what I find useful is the Fitness Trend graph. (how this works, look here). The fitness trend allows you to see the effect of your training over time.

I'd suggest getting a HRM, either a Garmin Edge 25 like me, or something bigger that can run both the heart rate and cadence and gather the stats. 

- Heart Rate to stop yourself burning all your matches on spinning too fast up the climb. (you can set audible alerts based on heart rate).

- The Cadence sensor to actually measure the spin 

Then Sync everything to Strava and track stats with Stravistix and compare how your ride went and how you knees feel over multiple rides.  

I almost went that route, but the R500 extra, had to get the 520

Why would you record your ride on different devices in the first place ??

I currently record using my Iphone but use two apps. Strava and Endomondo.  Other for the obvious reason that I am taking part in the Hub Commuter Challange I like using Endomondo as it is more accurate than the Strava Iphone app.  Strava every so often misses big chunks of my ride which is really annoying.  I can then just manually add the difference after comparing to Endomondo.  I have mailed Strava with the problem on the Iphone but dealing with their customer support is more effort and less scenic than cycling up the Alpine passes.

I almost went that route, but the R500 extra, had to get the 520

Local pricing isn't R500 difference locally (at least wasn't at the time of me buying my Garmin).

I bought local to burn ebucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone with info on the replacement cost of the edge 500 to edge 520? My old edge 500 has its screen fail and I have taken to just using my fenix instead. Would be useful to know whether I should get the edge upgrade and pass on within the family who cycle without any monitors at this stage.

Anyone with info on the replacement cost of the edge 500 to edge 520? My old edge 500 has its screen fail and I have taken to just using my fenix instead. Would be useful to know whether I should get the edge upgrade and pass on within the family who cycle without any monitors at this stage.

Phone Navworld and they will be able to advise.  I think it is around R2k (may have gone up since I did mine a while ago) and it will come with the bundle of out front mount, HRM and speed & cadence sensors which you can sell off if you don't need them

Edited by shaper

It is about R1570 incl. 

I did mine about 3 weeks ago.