Which Assos for an Ou's A$$?

SuperDooperSnooper

So on the eve of the final day of Oom Chris's Birthday Sale (and Friday!) I need some advice.

After a lot of self-deliberation, I feel it is time to maybe take the plunge and spend some of my hard-earned on a pair of top-end bibshorts. Figuring that the amount of money I have spent trying out different brands so far (and time and again be disappointed) would probably outweigh the cost of a piece of Italian luxury, I have (reluctantly) decided to venture into Assos territory.

Clicking over to the CWC sales, I encountered the first problem. I had a mental image of finding the aforementioned garment, selecting the largest size and with squinting eyes click "BUY". But in reality I have been met with such a diverse selection of different Assos bibshorts, all at extravagant prices, that probably only the Guptas would be able to buy all of them to try out.

So, fellow dwellers of Hubland, please advise me on which will be the best option:

The entry level T.Mille_S7 @R2100

The lighter T.Neo Pro_S7 @R2330

Or does the comfort only kick in with the T.Equipe_S7 (over R3000) or T.Cento_S7 (overR4000)?

My budget simply does not allow to even look at the T.Rallyshorts_S7.

I unfortunately don't roll in the dough, so need to choose wisely on a single pair that needs to last for several seasons.

For some background, I often hear "You look like you play rugby" despite many hours in the saddle. I mix it up between 1 hour coffee rides, Saturday XC marathons (3-5hours), Sunday Enduros and the very occasional 2-3 day stage race. All on a Mountain Bike.

Any feedback for the above models, or maybe spend my money on other brands? I have tried Sportful, Ftech, Anatomic, First Ascent, Enjoy and Finni.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the amount of time you plan to spend in the saddle on a ride. I have 4 sets of Assos bibs, 3 S5 Unos and 1 Neo Pro S7. I would suggest going with the Neo if you don't really ever ride over 3 hours very often. If you do, then the Mille or more expensive would make sense.

That being said, I do prefer the S5s over the S7s. For a reason that eludes me the material on the S5s tends to pinch less. The S7 is still very comfy.

Make sure you pick the right size though, Assos has a reputation for varying greatly in size between different models. I am 1.77m and I take a medium in the S7 Neo.Pro.

https://www.cyclesharp.co.za/bibs/

Retief sells assos and Giordana

I ride with Giordana 

Thanks for the reply. Their prices seem a lot better, but I still count 6 different Assos options.

The Giordana options seem more reasonable in the "If they don't work I can afford a different pair" category

Depends on the amount of time you plan to spend in the saddle on a ride. I have 4 sets of Assos bibs, 3 S5 Unos and 1 Neo Pro S7. I would suggest going with the Neo if you don't really ever ride over 3 hours very often. If you do, then the Mille or more expensive would make sense.

That being said, I do prefer the S5s over the S7s. For a reason that eludes me the material on the S5s tends to pinch less. The S7 is still very comfy.

Make sure you pick the right size though, Assos has a reputation for varying greatly in size between different models. I am 1.77m and I take a medium in the S7 Neo.Pro.

Thanks. I am leaning towards the Neo or Mille

Be warned though, it's a slippery slope - once you get a pair, be prepared to buy more...

They are that good.

Or maybe Neo and Mille? That said, I'm gonna have to hide a new pair from the Minister of Home Affairs, and hiding 2 new pairs may be beyond my hiding abilities... :ph34r:

Whatever you do don't limit yourself to One pair, have two pairs. Then you can swap them on alternative days.

That said, I have used most of the Brands available.

I found as long as the size "fit" was right, I had no troubles.

Thanks D! But with the amount of riding you have done, no wonder you have used most of the brands available!

+1 on cycle sharp. I have a few pairs of the equipe and I'm happy, so can't comment on the others, but they offer good compression as well. Just remember they all have difference cuts particularly in the front, so choose carefully. The equip for example is very low cut in front so if you have a slight boep it won't be sucked in if you get me

Over the last years I have gone up through the range to the Equipe and am so happy with them that I now have three pairs.

I do agree with the earlier comments around the length of rides. I regularly do longer rides (5h+) and the occasional Audax and on those the Equipe does make a difference. For shorter rides the cheaper models should be fine.

I have a few pairs of the Equipe and have used them for years, very happy with them and comfortable on long rides. They are the tighter fit in their range as I believe as they are a racing cut.

I'm not sure if you get them in SA but Rapha bibs get good reviews and their service is excellent. Going to buy a pair in a few months just for something different.

assos all the way - just bought a second neo after the first one lasted over 2 years ( still going) and all my others are done in the same time . it really is worth the money - I wont even  consider any other brand 

I'm on my fourth pair, had both Mille and Neo, both absolutely excellent.

Agree with size comments, I'm 176 and also wear medium. (My bud is 192, he bought the XL and it is way too big...)

You will be hooked, not sorry.

I only ride on the cento. Love them. Super comfortable with a ridiculously thick chamois.