EPO doesn't work scientists claims

shaper

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lance Armstrong's drug of choice, EPO, 'doesn't work', scientists claim

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/06/29/lance-armstrongs-drug-choice-epo-doesnt-work-scientists-claim/

So it may be with a certain queasiness that he learns today about the results of ground-breaking new research which suggests his prolonged campaign of abuse was pointless - because EPO confers no advantage at all.

So #givehimthe7winsback

The 'results' seem counter-intuitive, but of course that's the issue about challenging dogma, if it is indeed dogma.

I wonder what peer response to the paper has been?

fantastic study - the participant must have been very excited to get free EPO and then very disappointed to know it did not make them go faster!

So #givehimthe7winsback

Nah, just for his intent he can keep getting a bollocking. In order to be a professional sportsman, you should at minimum have even an idea of sportsmanship...

(No I'm not a hater, in fact I supported Lance during his cycling career...)

Interesting, sure plenty of scientist will want to read the full study and pick holes in it.

Obviously the edited version printed in the paper leaves out vital details; were the "doped" up riders performance compared to their own base line performance; if not, you arent really comparing the effects of epo, you are comparing 24 riders vs other 24 riders? 

From the article it suggest they compared the 50% with epo with the 50% without, lastly a study of 48 riders leaves very little data for statistical work.

Any way, interesting to see guys testing the effects none the less. 

Given other things published in the Lancet about MMR, etc, that were later found to be total fabrications I would wait until the results are replicated.

And unless it was a proper double-blind, replicated study of the individual athletes doing before and after tests up the same route, it is totally worthless.

More Interestingly, the 24 who were given a 'dummy' would be far more representative of Oom Lance who regularly spat his out.

Edited by Thor Buttox

In my opinion EPO really starts to kick in in the 3rd week of a grand tour. 

When your body is starting to fall apart and your hemoglobin levels are starting to decrease, taking EPO will surely help maintain and increase the oxygen carrying capacity of your blood. For these top racers it will most definitely have an effect.

Another shortcoming of the test may well be the challenge these subjects were subjected to. Their bodies (muscle, type of muscle and psyche) will falter long before their oxygen carrying capacity of their blood manifests as a measurable advantage.

Still an interesting finding/conclusion

no that is just science, any hypothesis is regarded as viable until proven wrong. Then you have to restate and retest the new hypothesis. 

10000 x Studies Conclude X
1 x Study Disputes X

TheBikeHub: X is not true!!!!

Interesting, sure plenty of scientist will want to read the full study and pick holes in it.

Obviously the edited version printed in the paper leaves out vital details; were the "doped" up riders performance compared to their own base line performance; if not, you arent really comparing the effects of epo, you are comparing 24 riders vs other 24 riders? 

From the article it suggest they compared the 50% with epo with the 50% without, lastly a study of 48 riders leaves very little data for statistical work.

Any way, interesting to see guys testing the effects none the less. 

+1. And what about the effect on overall fatigue levels over 21 days of racing as well.

I mean even "IF" there was no "improved performance gain", the impact on fatigue levels over a period of time can also be construed as a significant advantage...

I'm definitely no scientist, but isn't EPO more a recovery drug, rather than a performance enhancer? In a three week tour you will surely benefit from enhanced recovery.