Knysna Trails after the fire of June 2017

Grob Lord

When planning our trip to Knysna about 2 weeks after the devastating fires of June 2017, we struggled to find information about the trails after the fires. Even in the town, we found differing opinions on the conditions of the trails.

We have now ridden some of the trails and, amazingly, most of the trails actually escaped damage. Here is what we found:

Harkerville: The yellow, blue and green routes are rideable. The red route is closed but you can still get a decent ride in by combining the blue and green route. On the green route you do go through areas that are completely burnt out (but rideable) and even in the forests on the blue route we came across the odd burnt out tree. Areas near the coast are where the damage is.

Homtini: After driving through complete burnt out moonscapes, the Homtini trail is is unscathed and sheer pleasure to ride. Well worth the drive out.

Petrus Se Brand: Not ridden yet but apparently unscathed.

Garden Route Trail Park: Still on the agenda but apparently unscathed.

Not ridden, hopefully others can add for Kom Se Pad and Concordia Road (apparently rideable but lots of damage along the way)

Thanks for the update. Heading down to our place in Plett and not sure what to expect for knysna and beyond. So much loss.

Thanks for the update, planning a road trip in August and spending 3 nights in Plett. So been wondering what the trail conditions were.

• 5 months later...

Am heading to Knysna for the hols and looking for some local knowledge.

Are there decent MTB rides starting in Knysna town or do you have to drive out to the trails?

Can you ride to Harkerville avoiding the N2, and if not is the N2 safe to ride on?

Thanks.

Just came back from Sedgefield/Knysna. 

You must go to https://www.gardenroutetrailpark.com/ ------ singletrack heaven !! flowing ... fast

Give yourself more than half a day.... the trails were absolutely amazing!!

There are alot of trails out there, speak to Eugene ( Sedgefield Cycleworx ) 

He has local knowledge , he owns the shop, very helpful. 

http://www.mtbroutes.co.za/trails-91/western-cape/garden-route.html 

Hope it helps.... did not go out to harkerville side.. but like i mentioned ,speak to the LBS

Am heading to Knysna for the hols and looking for some local knowledge.

Are there decent MTB rides starting in Knysna town or do you have to drive out to the trails?

Can you ride to Harkerville avoiding the N2, and if not is the N2 safe to ride on?

Thanks.

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/map/

Thanks for the update. Heading down to our place in Plett and not sure what to expect for knysna and beyond. So much loss.

Cairnbrogie was hit quit badly.

Trails are rideable, but its a bit of a lunar landscape between there and Harkerville.