Fox Fork Rebound Adjust Knob Stuck

Christofison

So the rebound damping adjutment knob on my Fox Fork FIT4 damper is stuck. It's about 7-8 clicks in so it's not jammed against one of the end limits. Before it completely seized, it would occiasionally get stuck between stops but I was able to muscle it loose. Now I'm afraid if I apply any more force I'll snap the rod off the damper. Even dropping the lowers off didn't help it come un-stuck.

Are there any suggestions, short of sending it off to Omnico? It's just out of warranty so I can kick myself for not sending it back a few months ago.

So the rebound damping adjutment knob on my Fox Fork FIT4 damper is stuck. It's about 7-8 clicks in so it's not jammed against one of the end limits. Before it completely seized, it would occiasionally get stuck between stops but I was able to muscle it loose. Now I'm afraid if I apply any more force I'll snap the rod off the damper. Even dropping the lowers off didn't help it come un-stuck.

Are there any suggestions, short of sending it off to Omnico? It's just out of warranty so I can kick myself for not sending it back a few months ago.

Send it in!

happened to me and I thought it was just mud or something. I got some soap, put on a pair of gloves for more grip, and snapped the thing right off... 

After some Googling I found out there is no quick fix for what I had done and a lot more parts needed to be replaced than if I had just sent it in from the get go. 

(Fox 32 Float Performance Elite)

happened to me and I thought it was just mud or something. I got some soap, put on a pair of gloves for more grip, and snapped the thing right off... 

righty tighty, lefty oh bollocks!!!

You've got to strip the damper to get that unstuck unfortunately, and you'll need a shaft clamp to get the base stud off.

It seems to be a common issue with the FIT4 dampers, but I've only ever seen it happen when the adjuster's been wound too far out. I'd guess it's the detent ball sticking in one of the grooves on the needle.

You've got to strip the damper to get that unstuck unfortunately, and you'll need a shaft clamp to get the base stud off.

It seems to be a common issue with the FIT4 dampers, but I've only ever seen it happen when the adjuster's been wound too far out. I'd guess it's the detent ball sticking in one of the grooves on the needle.

Thanks for the knowledgable insight Droo. Besides the shaft clamp, I also don't have a blow torch or red Loctite, haha. I'll just keep riding with the current rebound until the damper is due for a service.

post-59129-0-20510000-1499240567_thumb.jpg

post-59129-0-60158300-1499240575_thumb.jpg

I broke mine off after it got stuck. And it was on full fast. Crisis. Phones the workshop at omnico, they asked me to send it in with proof of purchase. 3day turnaround for a warranty repair and I was happy as a pig in Palestina.

• 3 months later...

Amazing how little info there is on this problem. I have had an entire teams forks rebound shaft get stuck. 20 forks in all and more keep coming in with the same problem. The problem is rather easy to fix but the rebound shaft needs to be removed from the damper rod. Once you accomplish this a clamp can be used to hold the upper shaft and a little more force along with some lube inside the threaded piece on the bottom will usually free it up. I made a clamp with a two pieces of wood that I drilled between with the correct size bit. The damper is 1/4" and the damper shaft is 10mm. Clean/ polish the small ball bearing that resides inside and reassemble with some waterproof grease. I think the problem is Fox not greasing prior to assembly and the bearing rusts. It still takes a bit of force to take the pieces apart, they are threaded together so turn counter clockwise and hopefully not break anything or a new damper shaft will be needed. You will also need  7mm wrench with thin jaws to remove the  damper rod, at least on the Float 32 with a fit4 damper.

Amazing how little info there is on this problem. I have had an entire teams forks rebound shaft get stuck. 20 forks in all and more keep coming in with the same problem. The problem is rather easy to fix but the rebound shaft needs to be removed from the damper rod. Once you accomplish this a clamp can be used to hold the upper shaft and a little more force along with some lube inside the threaded piece on the bottom will usually free it up. I made a clamp with a two pieces of wood that I drilled between with the correct size bit. The damper is 1/4" and the damper shaft is 10mm. Clean/ polish the small ball bearing that resides inside and reassemble with some waterproof grease. I think the problem is Fox not greasing prior to assembly and the bearing rusts. It still takes a bit of force to take the pieces apart, they are threaded together so turn counter clockwise and hopefully not break anything or a new damper shaft will be needed. You will also need 7mm wrench with thin jaws to remove the damper rod, at least on the Float 32 with a fit4 damper.

Fantastic advice, thank you. I can't believe I didn't think if the drilled planks as a shaft clamp.

• 4 weeks later...

Amazing how little info there is on this problem. I have had an entire teams forks rebound shaft get stuck. 20 forks in all and more keep coming in with the same problem. The problem is rather easy to fix but the rebound shaft needs to be removed from the damper rod. Once you accomplish this a clamp can be used to hold the upper shaft and a little more force along with some lube inside the threaded piece on the bottom will usually free it up. I made a clamp with a two pieces of wood that I drilled between with the correct size bit. The damper is 1/4" and the damper shaft is 10mm. Clean/ polish the small ball bearing that resides inside and reassemble with some waterproof grease. I think the problem is Fox not greasing prior to assembly and the bearing rusts. It still takes a bit of force to take the pieces apart, they are threaded together so turn counter clockwise and hopefully not break anything or a new damper shaft will be needed. You will also need  7mm wrench with thin jaws to remove the  damper rod, at least on the Float 32 with a fit4 damper.

There must be a few out there. I have just had a 2017 Fox 34 returned from Fox. They have used a smaller bearing and now the rebound dial spins without clicking. The bike shop relayed that using bearings that are the same size would lead to another stuck rebound dial. I'm still consider the fork to be broken as it's harder to setup properly.

Have your repairs held up OK?

• 1 month later...

Common problem unfortunately, water and muck slips in past the rebound shaft to the detent ball and it rusts and stuff just gets messed up. No quick fix as mentioned. 8/10 times need to replace the ball with a new one when I do a full damper service. I normally add more grease on the inside and then some silicone grease on the outside to try form a seal when I service the damper. 

21231187_507526192926840_633468235803688

Common problem unfortunately, water and muck slips in past the rebound shaft to the detent ball and it rusts and stuff just gets messed up. No quick fix as mentioned. 8/10 times need to replace the ball with a new one when I do a full damper service. I normally add more grease on the inside and then some silicone grease on the outside to try form a seal when I service the damper. 

21231187_507526192926840_633468235803688

Mmmmm. Crusty.

• 2 months later...

Exact same thing happened to me last week - fork going on a year old! Agreed wrt shoddy production and design.

Thank you to those in the know for all the above info, was helpful when chatting to my LBS

Edited by Wet Ears