Info requested SS MTB

Letum911

Time for the brainfart to be penned down for assistance and critique.

My history with SS's: I have built and owned various SS roadbikes over the past 5 years or so, with the newest being a well spec'd (IMO) SimpleSam, which I absolutely love. But she is mostly used as a commuter to gym and the odd road cruise. 

I am toying with the idea of building a MTB singlespeed, however I have the following questions:

1) I own a Merida 120 duel sus, how do you choose which bike to ride?

2) Do I start off cheap as chips, as I started with the road bike, or do I make it a year or 2 long project and build it to a decent spec?

3) From the guys in the know, does it make a difference to the riding/feel whether you go dedicated SS frame vs std frame with a tensioner?

Regards

L

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SS and DS does not fit in the same box .

Does not matter how you start it will be cheap , but if you really wanna be bling and do the weight weenie thing then spend a bit of money on Cranks etc

There will be more noise with a tensioner (chain slab ) but the ride will feel the same . But for the purist it will have to be a SS specific frame , but to start of with any hardtail frame will work . 

If you really want to start of really cheap just to see if that's what you want , use old 9 speed clusters and chains and off you go . 

Ok...SS HT only please.

Personally I have gone with a tensioner and also run SS specific frames......if I had a choice it would be a SS specific frame for the win.

There is less friction, less noise and a more direct feel .... at least this is how I have experienced it.

Best tensioner solution I have used is with a lower guide fitted to ISG mounts ..... now if you do not have ISG mounts, and you are using an external threaded BB, you do get adapter plates that would accept an ISG mounted lower guide. 

With this setup I found the aesthetics to be good as you do not have a dingis hanging off the back of the bike and there was zero chain slap. It was also a breeze to remove the rear wheel or perfect the tension on the chain.....the friction in the drive train was basically non existent either.

When I get to build a SS MTB again, and the frame is not SS specific or have ISG tabs, I will certainly do as per above with the adapter again....without a moments hesitation.

Build her up cheap as chips, and replace odds and ends when you feel the need to....then at least you will be riding her.....you can also then save up over the next two years and build your bling bling SS machine when you are ready and not miss out on the fun of having a SS MTB now.

post-5403-0-16490500-1499158780_thumb.jpg

What if I have a SS specific dual suss frame...... 

The you put gears on it and hang it somewhere in a corner where nobody can see it .

Then you are soon to have a very green people in this thread!!

As for the rest, thank you for the info so far. Is it worth looking out for a carbon frame? 

SS parts and cockpit I'll most likely go with Rapide, wheels I'll go the cheapest and save up for a Hope SS hub (the sound is intoxicating!!) and then the fork... Well I assume the fork will be determined by the frame I end up choosing...

Then you are soon to have a very green people in this thread!!

As for the rest, thank you for the info so far. Is it worth looking out for a carbon frame? 

SS parts and cockpit I'll most likely go with Rapide, wheels I'll go the cheapest and save up for a Hope SS hub (the sound is intoxicating!!) and then the fork... Well I assume the fork will be determined by the frame I end up choosing...

Again if you want to do it properly you will look at a rigid fork . Suspension forks on a SS just seems wrong .

Again if you want to do it properly you will look at a rigid fork . Suspension forks on a SS just seems wrong .

This is something I have not yet considered. How does a rigid effect the ride comfort? Or does one compensate with a fatter front tyre and a carbon bar? 

The you put gears on it and hang it somewhere in a corner where nobody can see it .

PFFFT

It's really fun. 

Letum, to answer your initial question, I would seriously look for a SS specific frame. There must be a few Momsen STR's floating about. They went pretty cheap.

I would go with steel. Carbon is stiff and unforgiving, where as the steel gives you a nice twang and a kick when your cadence gets low. Steel feels better and just 'works' with a SS.

There was a GT Kashmir for sale on this site up till a few days ago. Ping Tim Brink and see if he still has it.

Otherwise do some looking... I would look at something with a 44mm headset as well. Keep it modern even if you don't need to. 

Enjoy... Mine went to places it should never have!

This is something I have not yet considered. How does a rigid effect the ride comfort? Or does one compensate with a fatter front tyre and a carbon bar? 

A rigid fork stops the bike from bobbing when you get out the saddle and grind/lever your way up hills.

Probably not essential if you ride up country but in the Cape, climbing with a rigid fork is the business. They can also take a lot more abuse and air time than you think... makes riding zero maintenance and turns that main road chute trail into a super fun joy to ride

you have a Kona "A" rocking in the back corners of your garage?

I'd focus on a lekker frame and fork combo and use that as your base to upgrade on if you like.

You can easily run a dual suspension as an SS, given you have a tensioner to accommodate for the chain growth. Lots of park rats run their DH and FR bikes SS. 

You can easily run a dual suspension as an SS, given you have a tensioner to accommodate for the chain growth. Lots of park rats run their DH and FR bikes SS. 

We know you can do it but it is just wrong !!!

Thanx for all the input guys!!! This is an idea which is still very early in the development phase. I'll do some reading up regarding rigid forks etc. I see a fellow hubber was/is bringing them in for a reasonable price (R6k for a Niner fork is out of my league).

For now the scavenge hunt is on, small parts first, more pricey parts after September (very expensive outing coming up).