Info requested SS MTB

Letum911

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx for all the input guys!!! This is an idea which is still very early in the development phase. I'll do some reading up regarding rigid forks etc. I see a fellow hubber was/is bringing them in for a reasonable price (R6k for a Niner fork is out of my league).

For now the scavenge hunt is on, small parts first, more pricey parts after September (very expensive outing coming up).

Look at the fork that Rapide offers . Very nice .

Geez, just do it, too many poseurs with this is just wrong, and that's just wrong. :eek:

Just take the gears off, put a tensioner on, or use an rd, modded with a cut off gear cable, lots of how to's on the web, and ride the bloody thing. It's great fun.

Geez, just do it, too many poseurs with this is just wrong, and that's just wrong. :eek:

Just take the gears off, put a tensioner on, or use an rd, modded with a cut off gear cable, lots of how to's on the web, and ride the bloody thing. It's great fun.

So who are the 'poseurs'?

I would way rather spend time building up a rad SS than butchering a decent bike with a tensioner....

You could always just buy my GT Peace  :whistling:

I agree.

(If I could ride two, I would have bought it...)

I would way rather spend time building up a rad SS than butchering a decent bike with a tensioner....

:clap: Even if  it is just a single speed , if you going to build one it is worth doing it well . 

How many people build one up then discover that it's not for them. Enough talk. Ride.

:clap: Even if it is just a single speed , if you going to build one it is worth doing it well .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

How many people build one up then discover that it's not for them. Enough talk. Ride.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm still unsure as to whom you are referring?

If you come to a discussion forum and tell everyone to shut up and ride, that is a bit counter productive. I do understand what you are saying, but asking advice and getting answers is the purpose of this aspect of the site.

I know it's not Friday but pfffft....

If you are telling Letum to 'just shut up and ride' a bike he is asking advice about building I am unsure how that timeline works. Some of the guys commenting here have ridden Freedom Challenge, Lesotho Sky, Trans Alps, commuted a gazillion km etc all on their Single Speeds.... 

But I digress... Letum. Are you a Medium or Large?

You could always just buy my GT Peace  :whistling:

is this still for sale!!!!!

still in the classifieds?

If you come to a discussion forum and tell everyone to shut up and ride, that is a bit counter productive. I do understand what you are saying, but asking advice and getting answers is the purpose of this aspect of the site.

If you are telling Letum to 'just shut up and ride' a bike he is asking advice about building I am unsure how that timeline works. Some of the guys commenting here have ridden Freedom Challenge, Lesotho Sky, Trans Alps, commuted a gazillion km etc all on their Single Speeds.... 

I might have to put this thread on ice pending Friday!! I reckon the hand bags will fly at only one speed :whistling:

I am 1.87m tall, so borderline M/L depending on the bike. As a general rule I prefer a Large as it does allow for a bit more reach with a nice and short stem.

@Andrew, I wish I could, but if I make any purchase at this point in time I might get divorced before my engagement. Possibly not a bad thing but it's still winter and sleeping alone sucks!!

is this still for sale!!!!!

still in the classifieds?

I actually forgot about it... the classifieds move so quick these days  :blush: 

Just reposted the ad though, it had expired - have had lots of cheeky offers, and then the guys who've been happy to pay the price have all been too short  :w00t: 

A sign from the SS gods

But my heart is set on a Sir9  :wub:

I might have to put this thread on ice pending Friday!! I reckon the hand bags will fly at only one speed :whistling:

I am 1.87m tall, so borderline M/L depending on the bike. As a general rule I prefer a Large as it does allow for a bit more reach with a nice and short stem.

@Andrew, I wish I could, but if I make any purchase at this point in time I might get divorced before my engagement. Possibly not a bad thing but it's still winter and sleeping alone sucks!!

1.87... surely always a large.

Two birds, one stone...  :lol:

Geez, just do it, too many poseurs with  this is just wrong , and that's just wrong.   :eek:

I'm not referring to you. What I'm saying, read my post, is that there is nothing wrong with going into it with what you have got, using your current bike. The DS that Letum has can be used as a single-speed, using a rd as a tensioner, as a roadie he probably has an old short cage rd lying around, that will take up enough slack to take care of any chain growth that a merida 120 will have. Also there is no problem with using a fork on a single speed, I use one, because I don't sit in an office much. I do plenty of manual work, and with that and age come sore joints and muscles, so with our crap gravel roads, and my aching joints I take exception to Dirty saying I'm wrong having a fork on my bike. 

Two birds, one stone...  :lol:

You are a safety risk to my health!!

I stalked your profile and found the ad, it is a pretty bike indeed! And if the stars aligned slightly different I would have taken it. If it's still around in a few months I might give you a shout

You are a safety risk to my health!!

I stalked your profile and found the ad, it is a pretty bike indeed! And if the stars aligned slightly different I would have taken it. If it's still around in a few months I might give you a shout

just post the bloody link again please.....not that I can buy it ... but I can look, and if I look long enough I often find a way to buy things :P