Lance Armstrong - Stages podcast

Joe!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love him or hate him ... i doubt he minds which so long as it is about Lance.

Love him or hate him - He still the greatest cyclist that lived. No one will ever do for cycling what LA did.

His podcasts are brilliant, the insight and info is something you wont get from anyone else unless they have "Been there" like he has and is open to talk about it.

and for the Giro only they brought in Johan Bruyneel, now that was genius ???????? He was practically spot on with everyday’s Post Stage Analysis and what we could more or less expect the next day. LA only joined in for the Mountain Stages thus far.

Love him or hate him - He still the greatest cyclist that lived. No one will ever do for cycling what LA did.

No. Eddy Merckx is the greatest cyclist. Compare their records and lance pales into insignificance besides Eddy Merckx.

No. Eddy Merckx is the greatest cyclist. Compare their records and lance pales into insignificance besides Eddy Merckx.

Think madmarc was referring to how many people got on and stayed on bikes because of LA

Think madmarc was referring to how many people got on and stayed on bikes because of LA

Exactly my point. There were cycling greats before him and there will be ahead of him, but none will have the impact on cycling in general as what LA did. 

TREK is where it is today because of him

TDF viewership/spectatorship was at its highest when he raced, its now declining, its actually pretty boring to watch.

Never will any organisation like Livestrong raise more money through cycling for a disease. 

Like he said - He took a gun to a gun fight. 

I would agree that Lance certainly popularised cycling and raised awareness of le Tour within the US unlike anyone before, but I wouldn't say that holds true in the rest of the world.

I would agree that Lance certainly popularised cycling and raised awareness of le Tour within the US unlike anyone before, but I wouldn't say that holds true in the rest of the world.

This is probably not correct - I think he popularised cycling in the English speaking world and anywhere where Nike or Trek was available.  His story was marketable and got people on bikes the world over and gave cancer patients hope and belief.  Of course it was all bull but on the balance of things more people ride because of him and livestrong did amazing work and still does.   The rest in the grand scheme can be argued at length.

This is probably not correct - I think he popularised cycling in the English speaking world and anywhere where Nike or Trek was available.  His story was marketable and got people on bikes the world over and gave cancer patients hope and belief.  Of course it was all bull but on the balance of things more people ride because of him and livestrong did amazing work and still does.   The rest in the grand scheme can be argued at length.

Certainly sold Trek bikes...every second person had a Trek at one stage when Lance reigned

He was only greater because he never got caught.

and because his hour record stood for a ridiculous long time with the equipment he had available at the time.

Not sure that I agree. Can you please qualify what you mean by "English speaking world"?

Not sure that I agree. Can you please qualify what you mean by "English speaking world"?

South Africa, Singapore, United Kingdom, New Zealand, Australia, Ireland etc - places where Trek sales boomed and people wore yellow rubber bands.  And then of course any other country where people ride bikes or have an interest in cycling or have seen a Nike swoosh.  I don't think it's a stretch to say LA popularised cycling more than any other individual in history.  It's probably a bit of a stretch to disagree.  I am basing this on sales of books, the yellow bands that proliferated the planet, replica US postal/Discovery kits, donations to Livestrong, Trek sales and the post scandal popularity of his podcast.  Hell the doping scandal itself is proof of his impact on cycling.

He was also paid bucketloads of cash which wouldn't happen if he wasn't doing something for corporate bottom lines and getting people on bikes.

Maybe he had no influence on you, but me and Bradley Wiggins ride because of him.  I'm faster obviously