Cape Pioneer 2017

Bicycle Supply Chain

Hey all.

Couldn't find a thread on this years event, so hopefully this isn't a duplicate.

I have a question for those that have ridden CPT.

I will be running a 1x setup. Running 11-45 rear cassette.

Most days seem ok in terms of climbing but just not sure of swartberg and montague.

Can swop rings depending on the day's stage.

Was thinking a 34 or 36 for most days and a 32 or 34 for the 2 Days with the passes in.

What front ring would you guys recommend?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cape Pioneer doesnt get the masses to follow over here on the hub, doesnt have the same hype as the Cape epic so this is literally the only thread & i didnt even have to go search to back that up. 

I rode last year all the days with a 34t Oval & 11-42 & managed just fine.

What do you normally ride upfront?

I would fit the 32t for the days with passes in, but since you have the 45t at the back you could just stick it out with the 34t for all the days.

Hey all.

Couldn't find a thread on this years event, so hopefully this isn't a duplicate.

I have a question for those that have ridden CPT.

I will be running a 1x setup. Running 11-45 rear cassette.

Most days seem ok in terms of climbing but just not sure of swartberg and montague.

Can swop rings depending on the day's stage.

Was thinking a 34 or 36 for most days and a 32 or 34 for the 2 Days with the passes in.

What front ring would you guys recommend?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swartberg is tough from both sides. 

Not sure about this year's route but in 2014 we started in Calitz and finished on top of the pass.  2700m climbing in 87km with the last 3 km being the hardest.  I climbed in my 22x34 (3x9 and 26er setup) because I was stuffed.  Consider an easier gear perhaps?  32x45 might be right depending how strong a rider you are.

Climb out of PA is 16 km long and steep in sections, but then you have fresher legs.  Your normal climbing ratio should be fine. 

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments,

on my training bike I ride an 11-40 cassette with a 36 up front.

XCO I race with a 30, 11-45, but then its over 1200m in 28-30km in a race.

Im hoping to be strong for the race, well strong is a relative term I suppose.

Will have to decide closer to the time.

are you guys doing it this year again?

Mike

I rode in 2012 and 2015 .Both times  were on 2 x 10 .Rode Tankwa this year with 1 x 11 .Similar terrain and climbing ,although  Merino is worst than Swartberg pass .34 x 11 -46 will be fine .There will be a couple of places that you wish you had a 32 in front ,but you will get to he top .There will also be times when you wish you had a big gear in front .If i am riding both these events i would change to 32 for the big climb days to spare my legs for the next day .Or stay with 2 x setup 

Edited by Blitzer

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments,

on my training bike I ride an 11-40 cassette with a 36 up front.

XCO I race with a 30, 11-45, but then its over 1200m in 28-30km in a race.

Im hoping to be strong for the race, well strong is a relative term I suppose.

Will have to decide closer to the time.

are you guys doing it this year again?

Mike

too early to tell if I'll be doing it or not. But probably a no for now.

Edited by milky4130

i also think the gearing is all relative to your ambitions of the race, if you going to race it i.e. not podium but ride the fastest time you possibly can aka pushing your limits daily then the last thing you want is to be under geared on the fast sections. If you are going to admire the route & views, stop for photos, stop to sample the cuisine, to finish comfortably & not feel smashed everyday, then 30T - 32T is the way to go.

Done 3 CPT. Great event.

Not doing this year because I need to sort out the leave account, the bank account and my wife wont let me.

Last year I rode 34T with 11/46 no problems.

Previous year 32T with 11/42 no problems

Before that was still on a 2x setup. The day that it rained through kamanassie I had such bad chain suck I changed to a 1x after the race.

The 34T 11/46 is a great combination for me. A bailout climbing gear when needed but also enough top end for some of those district road sections.

There is nothing too scary about Swartberg or Montague pass. They just go on for a while but never too steep.

I'm very much looking forward to this one...

• great route with TT in the middle and of course the mighty Swartberg Pass
  • solo category
  • lot cheaper than other 7/8 day races...

I'll still be doing it on my old Stumpy with 2x10 !

• 2 months later...

Dont just think of the climbing aspect, there are looong false flats that are energy sapping and the right gearing will be needed to keep up with the bunch when it gets racy (if that is your aim...) last year my 11-42 with a 32 left me wanting at times but sticking to the same combo this year..