Garmin 820 owners - your experience?

NotSoBigBen

Love my 820 - all wifi uploads work perfectly. Synching is great. Also works perfectly. Even have a scale that uploads to Garmin Connect.

FWIW - warranty swop out to a new 820 happened yesterday and it's why i stay with Garmin - their support is great.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so I have enabled WiFi on the 820 let's see how the auto uploads go now .... Going to ride in a few minutes ????

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

Ok.  So is the 820 a crap device?

Not quite, there just seam to be a lot of lemons and I get the feeling they rushed it into production. If and when it works it's the beast thing since sliced bread but when it plays up it knows how to give you a run around.

Upload via WiFi worked ... Albeit not 'auto'

I just pushed the sync button on the Garmin

Let's just say my trusted and bullet proof 500 is sorely missed.Already had one 820 replaced,the latest hitch is that once you saved your ride,it just starts with a new ride before you can switch it off.

Had to do a few resets as well.

The service from Garmin however is exceptional

Mine refuses to link to paired sensors (speed and cadence) occasionally and I then have to remove and re-link the sensors before it will pick them up. Bit of a pain in the ass but other than that it's wonderful.

Ok.  So is the 820 a crap device?

There are issues since its delivery to the market

It's the most concern I've heard about with any Garmin device

I have a happy 810

So, not upgrading anytime soon although I like the look and feel of the 820  :huh:

I have a happy 810

So, not upgrading anytime soon although I like the look and feel of the 820  :huh:

I still have a 705 that I bought 6 years ago from a hubber.

When and if it dies I will replace it with a 520

Livetrack.

Was problematic and would sometimes start and then stop on its own.

I switched to strava beacon that seems to work without fail, strangely I get a livetrack enabled / disabled on my garmin when I start / stop my ride, beacon must be linking to connect.

I have a happy 810

So, not upgrading anytime soon although I like the look and feel of the 820 :huh:

My 810 started giving very erratic elevation readings and then it was warranteed with this 820 else I would have still have had it!

Livetrack.

Was problematic and would sometimes start and then stop on its own.

I switched to strava beacon that seems to work without fail, strangely I get a livetrack enabled / disabled on my garmin when I start / stop my ride, beacon must be linking to connect.

Strava beacon only for premium users not so?

My garage where I start my rides is totally out of range of my Wi-Fi so not precisely comparable, but I have experienced none of your issues with my 820. Then again, perhaps that helps identify what you've suspected in that the Wi-Fi is the cause of the issue. I imagine it could also be down to your phone handling the switchover poorly? I've experienced similar issues with WhatsApp calls on Wi-Fi to MD switchover.

Livetrack works well, I've never had a single corrupted ride and auto-upload through both Bluetooth (outside) and Wi-Fi (IDT when the phone isn't nearby) works basically instantaneously.

Now if you wanted to complain about how the touch screen is still not responsive enough,that is an issue I could complain about all week! Oh how I long for the firm buttons on the 520 I passed to my fiance when I bought the 820

Eish Bennie sorry to hear about your challengers.

Guess I'll stick to my 810 then.

Mini me is still using a Edge 500 which I bought 6 or 7 years ago on the hub and he's also got a Edge 800 that I bought from a friend many years ago.

I can say that the 500 / 800 / 810 are bombproof.

Don't think that I've had a days sh!t. No corrupted files. No Sh!t.