Commuting: Kyalami to Centurion

Letum911

With the risk of the taxi strike next week Wednesday, which is called off pending the outcome of a meeting on Friday, we briefly discussed how to approach the day in the office.

One thing led to another and I started thinking about the possibility of commuting to work and back, I'll leave home at around 6am (work starts at 7h15), and the afternoons leave Centurion at around 17h00.

With the risk of revealing too much about myself, here's my idea on google maps:

https://goo.gl/maps/wWoFML62Rfv

Short version: Leave my house in Kyalami, travel up Moerdyk, left into Harry Galaun Dr, straight into Lever Rd, straight into Rooihuiskraal Rd, right into Theuns van Niekerk, right into Escourt Ave, straight into Lenchen and arrive at work.

Is there anyone doing this route?

Any comment regarding safety and concerns?

Any comment regarding the elevation/route?

Can you recommend any other route?

I use to cycle from Centurion using that same route all the way to Sandton . If you stay of the road (next to it) it will be fine although there are a lot of pedestrians between Olifantfontein and Samrand . And then you have to contend with all the intersection crossings ! Loads of them and a few you need to  be a skilled bunny hopper to clear the pavement . 

I use to cycle from Centurion using that same route all the way to Sandton . If you stay of the road (next to it) it will be fine although there are a lot of pedestrians between Olifantfontein and Samrand . And then you have to contend with all the intersection crossings ! Loads of them and a few you need to  be a skilled bunny hopper to clear the pavement . 

Did you do this solo or in a group? Also how long did the ride take you? 

I've travelled that route a couple of times, but not during peak traffic.

Just some issues: 

The stretch up Rooihuiskraal Rd, just past Blue Valley (where it runs through the open veld) has seen some issues before - you could always just go right up Rietspruit at Blue Valley to join RHK again later on.

I don't like riding along Lever Rd.

Those roads have hectic traffic, but you will mostly be traveling against it

Edited by Pulse

Always solo . It took me Well over an hour , once you hit SAndton the going gets very slow and I did it on the SS which also slowed me down .

I've travelled that route a couple of times, but not during peak traffic.

Just some issues: 

The stretch up Rooihuiskraal Rd, just past Blue Valley (where it runs through the open veld) has seen some issues before - you could always just go right up Rietspruit at Blue Valley to join RHK again later on.

I don't like riding along Lever Rd.

Those roads have hectic traffic, but you will mostly be traveling against it

I think there is a tar road running through that open land now . I assume it's the bit where you had to cross a little stream to get into the veld

I think there is a tar road running through that open land now . I assume it's the bit where you had to cross a little stream to get into the veld

Yes, that section.  I've only heard about 2 incidents there after the road was completed (Sunday mornings, both of them).  I think in the week it would be fine, as there is loads of traffic, so don't think hijacking would be an issue

I used to cycle that road from Centurion to fourways passing Kyalami for 2 years

I cycled the R55, It is dodgy as hell, But you get some propper Intervals there :ph34r:

However they have made the Dirt Road next to R55 nice and wide, So you will be clear of the traffic or taxis that takes chances, It is the shortest route to take, But the diepsloot piece is a bit of a problem. 

I started of using the road past Diepsloot via Kyalami but will not recommend it . That nice dirt road next to the the R55 has become a Taxi lane ONLY and after a very close call on the dirt with a Taxi I decided to use the route through Samrand 

Ride will be done on the Mtb, I prefer having the capability of riding on the dirt.

I'll get a few mates together and ride the route over the weekend. Think it should be a decent ride!

Tarred now and can do at speed on pavement or dirt road next to road , enough dirt to have fun or road if quite and in a hurry 

With the risk of the taxi strike next week Wednesday, which is called off pending the outcome of a meeting on Friday, we briefly discussed how to approach the day in the office.

One thing led to another and I started thinking about the possibility of commuting to work and back, I'll leave home at around 6am (work starts at 7h15), and the afternoons leave Centurion at around 17h00.

With the risk of revealing too much about myself, here's my idea on google maps:

https://goo.gl/maps/wWoFML62Rfv

Short version: Leave my house in Kyalami, travel up Moerdyk, left into Harry Galaun Dr, straight into Lever Rd, straight into Rooihuiskraal Rd, right into Theuns van Niekerk, right into Escourt Ave, straight into Lenchen and arrive at work.

Is there anyone doing this route?

Any comment regarding safety and concerns?

Any comment regarding the elevation/route?

Can you recommend any other route?

From Race track entrance go towards N1 next to Allandale, Left at big intersection before Mall of Africa. This will take you to Rooihuiskraal rd eventually. Took this route to Sunninghill on a Saturday morning. You can ride the pavement most of the way.