Cleats for Spinning / Wattbikes

AllAboutRides

Hi all hubbers!

I've recently bought myself a pair of road shoes (triangle cleats underneath shoes) to use in the gym with their spinning and wattbikes.

Which cleats should I fit on them to work on these bikes? I don;t want to change cleats everytime with my MTB shoes as they are LOOK cleats.

As far as I know Shimano SPD pedals are used on gym bikes, but what cleats will I need for my road shoes?

Hope this makes sense to you!

Cheers

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the bike. I have the one of 3 options in my gym, flat pedals, Shimano SPD, MTB cleats

I have look keo cleats on my road shoes and these work on the WATT bike fine.

Beware of marginal gains from this when you upload back to STRAVA..... :ph34r:  :whistling:  :thumbup:

I have look keo cleats on my road shoes and these work on the WATT bike fine.

Beware of marginal gains from this when you upload back to STRAVA..... :ph34r:  :whistling:  :thumbup:

What gym are you in and what pedals do they use?

What gym are you in and what pedals do they use?

Constantia VA. Not sure of the pedals, but the road bike cleat compartment usually has a toe clip structure connected to it, that you have to remove if you want to use the road cleats with the pedals. The other side of the pedal has the mountain bike cleat option.

Edited by Tubehunter

Constantia VA. Not sure of the pedals, but the road bike cleat compartment usually has a toe clip structure connected to it, that you have to remove if you want to use the road cleats with the pedals. The other side of the pedal has the mountain bike cleat option.

Makes sense! I will go and check with local VA.

Thanks dude!

As far as I am aware, Wattbike has standardised to the Shimano MTB Cleats/SPDs? I have two sets of shoes. One for my road bike and some MTB cheapies with SPD cleats for the Wattbike. 

Edited by EmJayZA

Most wattbikes at VA will be able to take both road and MTB cleats.... remove the plastic toe loop for those that use takkies and you will see that the pedals have road cleat on one side and MTB SPD on the other..... will look something like this.  

MTB cleat on the top, turn the pedal over and will take a road cleat

http://www.trueridestudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/SPD_PEDAL.jpg

Edited by shaper

Most wattbikes at VA will be able to take both road and MTB cleats.... remove the plastic toe loop for those that use takkies and you will see that the pedals have road cleat on one side and MTB SPD on the other.

Will go and check a bit later and will take photo's of the pedals :-)

Thanks in advance!!!

Most wattbikes at VA will be able to take both road and MTB cleats.... remove the plastic toe loop for those that use takkies and you will see that the pedals have road cleat on one side and MTB SPD on the other.

Seriously? I need to go check that out!

Will go and check a bit later and will take photo's of the pedals :-)

Thanks in advance!!!

Just added a pic to help.  All the wattbikes (7 of them) at my VA are like that, but best to check to make sure

Edited by shaper

My VA has the mountain bike only version. OP should check what his has.

Edited by NordicElf

Just added a pic to help.  All the wattbikes (7 of them) at my VA are like that, but best to check to make sure

Awesome!!! Thanks!!! So what cleat should I use on the road side of the pedal? Shimano SPD ?