Why don't SPD's use sealed bearings?

GrahamS2

Recently rebuilt my XT SPD's, and was wondering why Shimano never used sealed bearings in the design. Is there a reason for this that anyone knows of? Unless they thought having the average home mechanic trying to locate 24 3mm bearings on the kitchen floor would result in more new pedal sales..  :clap:

Recently rebuilt my XT SPD's, and was wondering why Shimano never used sealed bearings in the design. Is there a reason for this that anyone knows of? Unless they thought having the average home mechanic trying to locate 24 3mm bearings on the kitchen floor would result in more new pedal sales..  :clap:

Are their wheelsets not the same i.e they do not use sealed bearings? Might be the fact that it should be readily available parts everywhere in the world

SO that you can rebuild them , very easily  . . instead of throwing them away.  :devil:

Or have to buy funny bearing pullers things to service them. 

Or have to take it the LBS and  always wonder if they did the job properly 

Edited by IH8MUD

Unreal reliability compared to sealed bearings ?  

I mean you don't even have to service them and they'll go 1000's upon 1000's km's without missing a beat , don't service a crank brothers pedals for 1 year and you'll know about it.

Still prefer sealed bearings for wheels tho  :whistling:

I guess the loose bearing/cone design allows for small adjustments to minimise play on the shaft - something that a sealed race wouldn't allow for. Open bearings are also more efficient than sealed, but are more prone to lubricant contamination. Either way it's a clever design and easy enough to service. The engineer in me just wondered if it couldn't be made better.

SO that you can rebuild them , very easily  . . instead of throwing them away.  :devil:

Or have to buy funny bearing pullers things to service them. 

Or have to take it the LBS and  always wonder if they did the job properly

Very easy? Yip... However, I always seem to lose a ball bearing... I've now got a pedal that I keep just for spare bearings...

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD, CLEARLY A SPAMMER :P

EVERYONE KNOWS YOU DO NOT SERVICE SHIMANO PEDALS, AS THEY NEVER DIE, REALLY THEY NEVER DIE, AND JUST KEEP ROCKING ON FOR YEARS OF HIGH MILEAGE AND ABUSE.

CASE CLOSED, CUP AND CONES WORK FOR SPD'S AND SPD'S WORK FOR ME!

It also allows you to pretension the bearings if there is a little slop over time.

Edited by Hairy

Very easy? Yip... However, I always seem to lose a ball bearing... I've now got a pedal that I keep just for spare bearings...

Magnetic parts tray ftw.

EVERYONE KNOWS YOU DO NOT SERVICE SHIMANO PEDALS, AS THEY NEVER DIE, REALLY THEY NEVER DIE, AND JUST KEEP ROCKING ON FOR YEARS OF HIGH MILEAGE AND ABUSE.

It also allows you to pretension the bearings if there is a little slop over time.

They do occasionally click though. Which can be annoying.

Magnetic parts tray ftw.

Best R20 I ever spent was a magnet on the end of a telescopic car aerial. Used that puppy for so many jobs including bike services on wheel bearings and pedal bearings....

I've still got the XTR pedals I bought in 2007/2008. Never been opened.

Magnetic parts tray ftw.

Thankfully I have never experienced the clicking noise.

Also only ever used the base 520 models......could it be the heavier msterials used are just so much more reliable?

I've still got the XTR pedals I bought in 2007/2008. Never been opened.

I should probably have mentioned that the set I rebuilt on the weekend has been my only set of pedals since 2007, and that was only time I've ever opened them. Fresh grease made a nice difference though ;)

Edited by GrahamS2