S-Works worth it?

ScaredShiftless

Hi Hubbers

I am in the market to upgrade my 2014 Spez Stumpjumper Expert to a new 2018 S-Works Camber.

I have always wanted to own a model from the S-Works line-up and the new 2018 model looks fantastic! Spez SA won't be bringing in the (complete build) 2018 S-Works Stumpy so it has to be the Camber.

I would like to hear from fellow Hubbers that actually own S-Works models if it is worth the extra expense, or is it OK to go for the Expert model in the line-up. The S-Works model will sell for about R130k compared to R90k for the Expert model. Apart from showing off with the S-Works decals and a few fancy carbon bits, is it really worth it?

Happy riding!

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

camber will be quite more suited to xc/ trail riding compared to the stumpy which can hold its own on quite hectic tracks 

Maybe buy the frame set and build to your liking ?

I have not and will not own A s-works for the next 5 years at least

To Quote Fullsus.co.za:

"Most of us will never be able to win a race or become a pro rider."

So if you are at the front competing for victories and you actually have the cash available to treat yourself, then you can probably justify it.

Otherwise, get the cheaper one, it will still be a great upgrade and use that extra R40k to visit places like the Oyster Festival where you will have great fun and the community will really benefit from the cash injection.

We all need to enjoy the fruits of our labour; if we can enjoy it and benefit someone else then I call it a Win-Win!

The simple answer is no... It's definitely an emotional decision and not a logical one unless you're chasing those last few seconds to win races. It doesn't mean you shouldn't do it if you can (why else do you work if not to allow you to spend the money) but there is no good way to justify that extra R40k.

I'd rather ride a Stumpy elite than a Camber S-WORKS. But the US because of where I ride.

And no, I won't pay the extra for S-Works, but I'm not a S-Works rider so take that with a pinch of salt. I have however ridden a top spec BMC four-stroke (rode it for three years) and I'm back on a cattle class Ali bike now. The weight difference is nice, but it wasn't enough for me to stretch my ZAR'S.

Edited by PhilipV

I own an S Works Enduro (2016).  I love it, BUT I got it at a once in a lifetime price, and I reckon at a R40k difference I'd rather spend R3k and upgrade the rims (the Hubs on Expert models are still great) to something like Arch MK3's. Or even spend R10k and go for a set of CSixx carbon rims (the Carbon Rims on the SWorks are what set the bikes apart in my opinion).

The rest of the specification differences are negligible.  Drivetrain, brakes and suspension on Expert level models are brilliant.  Just the rims that would leave me with a bit of upgrade'itis.

So, yeah.  Take R3k, have the rims upgraded, and take your new bike on a holiday with the rest.

I own an S Works Enduro (2016).  I love it, BUT I got it at a once in a lifetime price, and I reckon at a R40k difference I'd rather spend R3k and upgrade the rims (the Hubs on Expert models are still great) to something like Arch MK3's. Or even spend R10k and go for a set of CSixx carbon rims (the Carbon Rims on the SWorks are what set the bikes apart in my opinion).

The rest of the specification differences are negligible.  Drivetrain, brakes and suspension on Expert level models are brilliant.  Just the rims that would leave me with a bit of upgrade'itis.

So, yeah.  Take R3k, have the rims upgraded, and take your new bike on a holiday with the rest.

Good advice Nico. Thanks!

I suppose what you consider it to be worth to you would give more of an indication on whether it is ok to spend that much.

As many have said you will be just as fast on an expert camber with carbon rims than on a sworks camber costing +-40k more.

If you're buying it to just get the Sworks logo and that's what matters to you and you can afford it then who are we to say it's not worth it.

Weirdly enough, with the Camber I see they use a "poorer" 9M Carbon for the Expert, whilst the top tier 11M for the Pro and SWorks, so it'll be a bit heavier and I'm not sure what else is different, but I doubt it's crap.

With the Enduro's the frames were all the same 11M for Sworks and Expert when we bought our bikes, but now they also use 9M / 11M to differentiate between SWorks and Expert.

Still don't think that warrants a R40k hole in your pocket.

It depends what R40k means in your life. Sworks is very different tech - Different overlay in the carbon, top end finishes (IMO), very stiff. BUT, for the kind of riding I'd use a Camber for, most of that tech would be wasted so I'd go with the carbon expert and a few upgrades. Most Spez dealers will upgrade bits for you as part of the package ;)

I upgraded my Epic Expert to an Epic Sworks.

It was more a factor of wanting an RS1 fork than the Sworks brand.

In my opinion, having ridden both. The extra money is not worth the change from a frame perspective.

I am not any faster on the Sworks, but I enjoy riding it more, if that makes sense.

Weirdly enough, with the Camber I see they use a "poorer" 9M Carbon for the Expert, whilst the top tier 11M for the Pro and SWorks, so it'll be a bit heavier and I'm not sure what else is different, but I doubt it's crap.

With the Enduro's the frames were all the same 11M for Sworks and Expert when we bought our bikes, but now they also use 9M / 11M to differentiate between SWorks and Expert.

Still don't think that warrants a R40k hole in your pocket.

The difference between 9m and 11m is not the quality of the carbon but the carbon layup...

I rode a 2014 Epic Marathon(10m Carbon), and it was warranteed with the 2015 frame(11m Carbon). The 2015 Marathon frame was the same as the S-Works frame.

To be honest from a frame perspective you will not notice the difference between a Expert/Pro frame and a S-Works frame.

If you want the bragging rights, get the S-Works. If you want to be smart about it get the Expert and upgrade the wheels and other bits as you go along... Your wallet will thank you