Thule clamping problem

Louzy

Morning

I have just bought a Thule VeloCompact 927. I can't get it to clamp onto the tow bar. I was using a EuroClassic 929 and have no no issues getting it on.

I called Thule and they said that I must remove the plastic cover type thing under the handle as it restricts the handle movement. Without it it'll open more apparently.

Can someone confirm if the plastic cover in the pic is the one that must be removed and if so how does it come off?

Has anyone had this issue or have any other ideas? To me it doesn't look like the plastic 'cover' doesn't come off too easily.post-27630-0-95797500-1499852498_thumb.jpg

i have this carrier and it never gives hassles

the bit that fits over the ball has a plastic surround lower down than on the picture

this fits around the tow ball

take that off and throw it away

problem solved

Thanks Rory

I have since worked out that the 4 teeth that clamp onto the ball of the tower are not functioning correctly. One of the teeth don't open up enough so therefore the ball can't pass up into the slot. So now i have to deal with Thule and get it sorted...

My brother in law had the same problem. Turned out his towball was a different size

i thought that might be the problem but another rack fits...

My brother in law had the same problem. Turned out his towball was a different size

i thought that might be the problem but another rack fits...

Strange thing is my rack fitted on his towball. But his rack not on his own towball.

Maybe just take a drive to Thule in stellies and ask them.

I think ive mentioned rack and ball to many times in one topic.

Outa here

Thanks Rory

I have since worked out that the 4 teeth that clamp onto the ball of the tower are not functioning correctly. One of the teeth don't open up enough so therefore the ball can't pass up into the slot. So now i have to deal with Thule and get it sorted...

I have the same rack, and mine did exacly the same thing for the first couple of times I used it.

It improved over time - don't know if its the clamp or my technique in fitting the rack that improved though

same rack ... almost had the same issue.

Turns out it was user error.

DONT let it rest on the towball when you pull up the handle !!

It has to be in the air, lift the handle and the four prongs drop down, now lower it over the towball, lower the lever and lock.

Next lesson - the rack has to be perpendicular on the towball to lock in place.  I tried to lower the end (angle the rack) for more clearance at the boot .... NOPE !

PS - remember to attach the plug-lead before fitting the bikes .... easier access ....

get these two items right and it is a STUNNING rack !!

same rack ... almost had the same issue.

Turns out it was user error.

DONT let it rest on the towball when you pull up the handle !!

It has to be in the air, lift the handle and the four prongs drop down, now lower it over the towball, lower the lever and lock.

Next lesson - the rack has to be perpendicular on the towball to lock in place.  I tried to lower the end (angle the rack) for more clearance at the boot .... NOPE !

PS - remember to attach the plug-lead before fitting the bikes .... easier access ....

get these two items right and it is a STUNNING rack !!

Thnx for the advice Chris.... i had the problem fixed and its working like a beaut now! great rack!

• 3 years later...

I battle with the plug lead!

Old, new ?

Normal plug, or the Volvo plug ?

What vehicle ? Some new vehicles dont like trailer lights ...