Baton defence?

scubes

A spring telescopic baton is much lighter than a normal telescopic baton. I bought two on line a few years back for R40 each. I don't know anyone who sells them now, but should still be able to source somewhere.

There is also a small item called a stinger which they sell on Aliexpress. This is about R10 each. basically a plastic knuckleduster. The nice thing about this weapon is that it is very light and doesn't even look like a weapon.

When your life depends on it buy the proper thing.

Nothing comes close to ASP and that's why they offer their no questions return policy.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems there is no easy solution to this problem. Any type of weapon has carry concerns practically even if one is trained up with the right mindset. No one wants this problem and yeah maybe the answer is group rides but I like group rides and solo rides too. My bike is insured but is also heavily customised and that is a mission to replace. 

I'm waiting for the Kung fu Panda's to offering training again... :ph34r:

Sorry, what exactly does this mean?

Just something to consider, a proper baton is heavy. Do not even consider a cheapy, they'll implode after 1 hit.

I just weighed my ASP, came in at 495g, so it's definitely not for the weight weenies. It also won't fit inside a handlebar, and given its weight you'll need to secure it pretty well if you plan to attach it to the frame. This kinda defeats the purpose of any kind of SD weapon, i.e. being able to retrieve and deploy it under stress in a very short period of time; though I suppose you could rig up some kind of quick draw holster, assuming you don't get separated from your bike.

For those of you carrying knives (I often do myself), just be mindful of how the weapon deploys and if it's at risk of opening while riding. The last thing you'd want is 10cm of steel slicing open an artery as a result of a fall.

It seems there is no easy solution to this problem. Any type of weapon has carry concerns practically even if one is trained up with the right mindset. No one wants this problem and yeah maybe the answer is group rides but I like group rides and solo rides too. My bike is insured but is also heavily customised and that is a mission to replace.

Anything is a weapon...your bike,shoes even a water bottle.Throw any of them at the perp and he'll be stunned and give you a second or 2 to run away.

The ASP batons are nice to carry in your jersey pocket as easy to get out.

You can get a plastic holder for them as well that you can tape to a seat post or backpack strap.

Nice thing about them is that you can break bones will very little training.

so who here thinks its a good idea to take on an attacker armed with a gun or a knife  ....

with a short metal stick ..................... :whistling: (cause that's what a ASP is )

anyone ....?

what Jurgen said guys seriously its not worth dying for a bike and a phone (call your broker and update your cover or just  join a rider group)

So that's why you ride with an M16(or whatever's on your back)?

How's that working for you?

Just remember if you fall with a baton or anything similar in a pocket etc it may cause major damage to your body.

Edited by JeffD

Just remember if you fall with a baton or anything similar in a pocket etc it may cause major damage to your body.

How is a baton any different to a mini pump or multitool?

You don't need to know how to do some fancy move to defend yourself just 2 things

how to use your bike to get space between you and attacker (just ask them to take it and leave you)

How land A good punch ( BUT if you don't land that punch your life could be taken very quickly)

You're anyway not going to be used to all the fancy fighting **** in a helmet and cleats.

As said above A bike and Phone are NOT worth your life !

Just something to consider, a proper baton is heavy. Do not even consider a cheapy, they'll implode after 1 hit.

I just weighed my ASP, came in at 495g, so it's definitely not for the weight weenies. It also won't fit inside a handlebar, and given its weight you'll need to secure it pretty well if you plan to attach it to the frame. This kinda defeats the purpose of any kind of SD weapon, i.e. being able to retrieve and deploy it under stress in a very short period of time; though I suppose you could rig up some kind of quick draw holster, assuming you don't get separated from your bike.

For those of you carrying knives (I often do myself), just be mindful of how the weapon deploys and if it's at risk of opening while riding. The last thing you'd want is 10cm of steel slicing open an artery as a result of a fall.

This , I was mugged once and what I remember vividly is how they knocked me off (like out of cleats and all) my bike before I even knew what was going on.

Did not read the whole thread, but whatever happens ons sal in die stof dans! Eks gatvol and taking a stand. Maybe big mouth in a small town maar my fokkin fiets vat jy nie as my tjommies by is nie

A spring telescopic baton is much lighter than a normal telescopic baton. I bought two on line a few years back for R40 each. I don't know anyone who sells them now, but should still be able to source somewhere.

There is also a small item called a stinger which they sell on Aliexpress. This is about R10 each. basically a plastic knuckleduster. The nice thing about this weapon is that it is very light and doesn't even look like a weapon.

Do not mess about with cheap spring batons. They are cheap because they are rubbish. Get an ASP if you need a baton, but then go and learn how to use it, as the guys above have said.

Don't underestimate your opponents - these guys do this for a living and are probably far more practiced at this stuff than you are. Train, train and train some more. There are no half measures in self defence.