El Guapo

I am starting this topic in the hope that people might share their own little secrets as to how they have solved annoying design issues/ failures with components or ingenious solutions to mechanical failures on the trail.

So post your mods, improvements, or additions and alterations to off the shelf components and hopefully they will go a long way to help the many poor cycling souls out there who suffer the same pains and frustrations!

I will kick off by offering a good solution to the annoying sticky or jamming Rockshox Pushloc.

Mine has been temperamental to say the least and originally I thought it was struggling in the wet or dry and dusty riding conditions. Despite a complete strip down and rebuild of the remote lever (made of crappy plastic!) together with a lube of the cable and inside of cable outer I could not get the thing to perform reliably. The matter was made worse by the fact that my 2014 REBA fork was locked out when there was no tension in the cable leaving me pretty much with a rigid front end.

Given that I used the bike predominantly on single track trails I initially opted for a solution found online whereby one uses a short piece of shifter cable with the cable stop to secure the remote spool permanently under tension and so permanently 'open' however it has always irritated me that I had lost the lockout and that it wasn't working as designed or bought.

Recently when going through an old box of spares I came across an old 9sp Shimano SLX triple front shifter and got thinking that it might be a good alternative to the Pushloc remote.

Well I tried it and it works great! Basically the two click thumb shift action is exactly the right amount of cable pull to bring the spool around to the fully 'open' position. An added benefit is having the sprung trigger finger shift to release tension and return the fork to 'locked out'. One click from 'fully open' adds some compression damping and gives you a halfway house between open and locked out which you couldn't get with a Pushloc remote!

It's all feeing a lot more crisp and precise and more importantly reliable. At least now the mechanism is contained in a nicely weather protected shifter body and given that this old shifter has stood the test of time and is still buttery smooth, I am now looking forward to a long future ahead of remote lockout bliss

So if anyone else has lost faith in the Rockshox Pushloc and like me does not want to blow cash on a Oneloc upgrade or mod the damper for a crown lockout, just go dig out an old shimano triple front shifter and give it a go! You won't be disappointed!

Edited by El Guapo

I will kick off by offering a good solution to the annoying sticky or jamming Rockshox Pushloc.

Mine has been temperamental to say the least and originally I thought it was struggling in the wet or dry and dusty riding conditions. Despite a complete strip down and rebuild of the remote lever (made of crappy plastic!) together with a lube of the cable and inside of cable outer I could not get the thing to perform reliably. The matter was made worse by the fact that my 2014 REBA fork was locked out when there was no tension in the cable leaving me pretty much with a rigid front end.

Given that I used the bike predominantly on single track trails I initially opted for a solution found online whereby one uses a short piece of shifter cable with the cable stop to secure the remote spool permanently under tension and so permanently 'open' however it has always irritated me that I had lost the lockout and that it wasn't working as designed or bought.

Recently when going through an old box of spares I came across an old 9sp Shimano SLX triple front shifter and got thinking that it might be a good alternative to the Pushloc remote.

Well I tried it and it works great! Basically the two click thumb shift action is exactly the right amount of cable pull to bring the spool around to the fully 'open' position. An added benefit is having the sprung trigger finger shift to release tension and return the fork to 'locked out'. One click from 'fully open' adds some compression damping and gives you a halfway house between open and locked out which you couldn't get with a Pushloc remote!

It's all feeing a lot more crisp and precise and more importantly reliable. At least now the mechanism is contained in a nicely weather protected shifter body and given that this old shifter has stood the test of time and is still buttery smooth, I am now looking forward to a long future ahead of remote lockout bliss

So if anyone else has lost faith in the Rockshox Pushloc and like me does not want to blow cash on a Oneloc upgrade or mod the damper for a crown lockout, just go dig out an old shimano triple front shifter and give it a go! You won't be disappointed!

noice  :thumbup:

can admin move over the posts to the above mentioned thread

Yes... 'admin' please do what you need to do to get this where it needs to be. ????

Edited by El Guapo