Volunteers wanted for UCT study on LCHF cyclists

box2trail

We are recruiting well-trained cyclists or triathletes who are following a low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet for a study at the Sport Science Institute of South Africa, Cape Town.

Please consider the attached advert and contact me for more information!

post-115931-0-68165200-1500033200_thumb.jpg

Edited by box2trail

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are recruiting well-trained cyclists or triathletes who are following a low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet for a study at the Sport Science Institute of South Africa, Cape Town.

Please consider the attached advert and contact me for more information!

post-115931-0-26677200-1500093963_thumb.jpg

Edited by box2trail

Or more like Tim Noaks is fishing for evidence. Not a coincidence that it is UCT.

uhm jaaaa .....

surely need more than a few weeks to really check "before" and "after" to make any worthwhile deductions ....

and even then - to find markers between an eating plan and sports output ... conveniently ignoring the real debate - health issues surrounding excess fat ....

uhm jaaaa .....

surely need more than a few weeks to really check "before" and "after" to make any worthwhile deductions ....

and even then - to find markers between an eating plan and sports output ... conveniently ignoring the real debate - health issues surrounding excess fat ....

Part of the problem with low carb / high fat diets is that they significantly increase insulin resistance in the longer run. So your ability to burn carbs effectively decreases. The ratio of fat to carbohydrate burning increasing has more to do with carbs dropping than fat increasing. There is a crossover effect.

Part of the problem with low carb / high fat diets is that they significantly increase insulin resistance in the longer run. So your ability to burn carbs effectively decreases. The ratio of fat to carbohydrate burning increasing has more to do with carbs dropping than fat increasing. There is a crossover effect.

That sounds interesting. Mind citing a peer-reviewed study? Thanks

I can't see how this would work. If the intake of carbs is decreased, the release of insilin would also decrease, which should result in an upregulation of receptors (or at least maintain receptor levels). It might decrease/delay the 1st/2nd insulin release processes (I'm guessing here - have not seen any research) but should not increase resistance.

Ot would be interesting if you have some references for this

I can't see how this would work. If the intake of carbs is decreased, the release of insilin would also decrease, which should result in an upregulation of receptors (or at least maintain receptor levels). It might decrease/delay the 1st/2nd insulin release processes (I'm guessing here - have not seen any research) but should not increase resistance.

Ot would be interesting if you have some references for this

It is not really the drop in carbohydrates, it is the increase in saturated fats. Fats, specifically saturated fats significantly increase insulin resistance. 

(Rat study but close enough, http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/40/11/1397.short)

Most of the high-fat studies being performed are on obese people. Their insulin resistance seems to come down during the study but that is probably the effect of weight loss. Up until the factors cross over. I had copy of a study that talked about the cross over effect but I can't for the life of me find it.

The following article is very interesting "food for thought" on the whole low/high carb debate.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170317132004.htm

It is not really the drop in carbohydrates, it is the increase in saturated fats. Fats, specifically saturated fats significantly increase insulin resistance.

(Rat study but close enough, http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/40/11/1397.short)

Most of the high-fat studies being performed are on obese people. Their insulin resistance seems to come down during the study but that is probably the effect of weight loss. Up until the factors cross over. I had copy of a study that talked about the cross over effect but I can't for the life of me find it.

The following article is very interesting "food for thought" on the whole low/high carb debate.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170317132004.htm

I didn't think of it that way round...

Thanx! I'll have a bit of a read this week, and see if I can find some related stuff

The great thing about scientific papers is that they are strictly fact based, not options of the authors. Falsifying or distorting the information presented is a VERY serious offence and can result in the authors being stripped of their credentials, like the anti-vaccine (former dr) Andrew Wakefield.

They may choose not to publish if the results don't suit them but that is hardly unexpected. The scientific process may have its hickups, but the process works well when followed through without making hasty conclusions. The far bigger problem is that public belief of what the facts are is often far from the truth, and social media is only making this worse. "Someone on the internet says....".