Cyclist down between Hazyview & Graskop

Tatt

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP GA...truly a gentleman I had the pleasure of knowing.

To answer your question Deon, yes the paramedics do (or should) look for any info possible, my sister in law worked for ER24 and Netcare and this is the kind of thing that is searched for first - obviously as soon as they get the patient stable enough.

having it (your ICE ID) is preferably kept on your person rather than the bike as if the bike gets moved / thrown into the bushes in the crash / stolen from the scene, then critical info will be lost/harder to find.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I have had an ICE ID on my arm for the best part of 4 years - I never take it off. 

Just heard a news report on this on the radio (947). I don't recollect seeing such high profile in such cases before? Slow news day? Increased awareness? Or just my dodgy memory?

@ewnreporter

#GregAnderson A 28-year-old man will spend 18 months in prison after he pleaded guilty for the death of veteran cyclist Greg Anderson.

#GregAnderson The man was sentenced to 36 months in prison, of which 18 months have been suspended for 5 years.

#GregAnderson The 28-year-old' man's license has been suspended. He also received a warning for driving an unroadworthy vehicle.

Man wat bergfietsryer doodry, gevonnis

Deur Alet Joubert

20 Julie 2017 21:34

http://www.netwerk24.com/Nuus/Hof/man-wat-bergfietsryer-doodry-gevonnis-20170720

Die man wat die bergfietsryer Greg Anderson doodgery het, kan dalk binne drie maande uit die tronk stap.

Tshepo Mashego is Donderdag in die landdroshof in Hazyview tot 36 maande tronkstraf gevonnis, waarvan die helfte vir vyf jaar opgeskort is.

Mashego (28) het skuldig gepleit op aanklagte van strafbare manslag en die bestuur van ’n ongelisensieerde voertuig.

Hy is Sondag in hegtenis geneem nadat hy Anderson op die pad tussen Hazyview en Graskop omgery het.

“My kliënt het berou oor die ongeluk en het daarom skuldig gepleit op die aanklagte teen hom,” het sy prokureur, K.M. Nonyane, gesê.

Mashego het in sy pleitverduideliking toegegee dat hy te vinnig gery het en Anderson daarom te laat gesien het.

Die hof het Mashego op albei aanklagte skuldig bevind. Op die aanklag van strafbare manslag is hy tot 36 maande tronkstraf gevonnis waarvan die helfte vir vyf jaar opgeskort is. Sy rybewys is ook vir ses maande opgeskort.

“Sy gevangenisstraf is dus vir 18 maande. Hy sal tussen drie en ses maande lank sit voordat hy vir parool in aanmerking kan kom,” sê Nonyane.

Op die aanklag van bestuur van ’n ongelisensieerde voertuig het hy ’n waarskuwing ontvang.

Die man wat die bergfietsryer Greg Anderson doodgery het, kan dalk binne drie maande uit die tronk stap.

Tshepo Mashego is Donderdag in die landdroshof in Hazyview tot 36 maande tronkstraf gevonnis, waarvan die helfte vir vyf jaar opgeskort is.

Mashego (28) het skuldig gepleit op aanklagte van strafbare manslag en die bestuur van ’n ongelisensieerde voertuig.

Hy is Sondag in hegtenis geneem nadat hy Anderson op die pad tussen Hazyview en Graskop omgery het.

“My kliënt het berou oor die ongeluk en het daarom skuldig gepleit op die aanklagte teen hom,” het sy prokureur, K.M. Nonyane, gesê.

Mashego het in sy pleitverduideliking toegegee dat hy te vinnig gery het en Anderson daarom te laat gesien het.

Die hof het Mashego op albei aanklagte skuldig bevind. Op die aanklag van strafbare manslag is hy tot 36 maande tronkstraf gevonnis waarvan die helfte vir vyf jaar opgeskort is. Sy rybewys is ook vir ses maande opgeskort.

“Sy gevangenisstraf is dus vir 18 maande. Hy sal tussen drie en ses maande lank sit voordat hy vir parool in aanmerking kan kom,” sê Nonyane.

Op die aanklag van bestuur van ’n ongelisensieerde voertuig het hy ’n waarskuwing ontvang.

Die polisie het Mashego ook op ’n aanklag van dronkbestuur in hegtenis geneem, maar dié aanklag is laat vaar omdat dit nie bewys kan word dat sy bloed binne die voorgeskrewe tyd vir alkohol getoets is nie.

Anderson is op die toneel dood toe Mashego, wat sy suster se Toyota Tazz bestuur het, hom vroegoggend omgery het.

“Dit was beslis ’n hoë-impakbotsing,” sê Jacques Ainslie, ’n paramedikus van LowMed Emergency Medical Services, wat kort ná 06:00 na die ongelukstoneel uitgeroep is.

Hy sê die fiets het deur die motor se voorruit getrek en Anderson is oor die motor geslinger.

“Ek het mnr. Anderson op die toneel dood verklaar. Ons het mnr. Mashego vir snye aan sy gesig behandel. Hy was duidelik in skok.”

Mashego is sedert Sondag in aanhouding.

post-4329-0-87328800-1500579571_thumb.jpg

Edited by nathrix ® ©™

Great that the legal system moved swiftly on the offender, but will unfortunately leave many questioning the sentencing.

RIP fellow rider.

Would someone get the same sentence if they shot someone? even if they claim it was an accident? I've often said motor vehicles should be seen as lethal weapons and you should not be allowed to drive unless you can show you understand and will abide by the responsibilities of road safety - quite obviously this guy, like so many others on the roads, hasn't a friggin clue.

And was he drunk? but it was shown his blood was not tested within the required time? as ek lees die taal correctly.

There should be (we should have) a national organisation (like Pedal Power) that challenges these pathetic and unjust sentences for killing cyclists, Pedestrians share the same fate, although drunk pedestrians are statistically the highest road casualties, or were a few years ago,

Edited by kosmonooit

Unfortunately we are extremely vulnerable on the roads and people are getting away with murder with the amount of lawlessness and the "do not care" "the road is mine" attitude as the punishment does not fit the crime. The investigations and prosecution of offenders in this country is so poor it's laughable and it makes you want to cry. We are being mowed down like rats with weapons of mass destruction and the law is too soft to send out a strong message.

PLEASE CAN PEOPLE IN THE RIGHT PLACES ENSURE THE NEWS OF A JAIL SENTENCE GETS AIRED ON RADIO AND PUT INTO THE NEWS?

- this might make people think twice before speeding past a cyclist/runner etc

the public needs to know there are serious repercussions 

PLEASE CAN PEOPLE IN THE RIGHT PLACES ENSURE THE NEWS OF A JAIL SENTENCE GETS AIRED ON RADIO AND PUT INTO THE NEWS?

- this might make people think twice before speeding past a cyclist/runner etc

the public needs to know there are serious repercussions 

But that's the problem, there is NO serious repercussions.

Would someone get the same sentence if they shot someone? even if they claim it was an accident? I've often said motor vehicles should be seen as lethal weapons and you should not be allowed to drive unless you can show you understand and will abide by the responsibilities of road safety - quite obviously this guy, like so many others on the roads, hasn't a friggin clue.

And was he drunk? but it was shown his blood was not tested within the required time? as ek lees die taal correctly.

There should be (we should have) a national organisation (like Pedal Power) that challenges these pathetic and unjust sentences for killing cyclists, Pedestrians share the same fate, although drunk pedestrians are statistically the highest road casualties, or were a few years ago,

Well shooting your girlfriend on the toilette and saying oops I thought it was a burglar does not book you that much longer in comparison.

I agree with you.  The punishment for traffic accidents is a joke and does not make people think twice about their actions.

Pathetic.

There should be an automatic sentence (5 years? 10??) for a hit-and-run. No arguments. No debate.