Giant Anthem - Second hand

Koos Likkewaan

Remember if the first owner didn't crack it, chances are you won't. Manufacturing problems tend to rear their heads in the first 50 to 100 hours of use - not always the case, but generally if it survives the first 100 hours of use you should not experience any manufacturing faults or issues thereafter.

I would say it is worth the risk.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember if the first owner didn't crack it, chances are you won't. Manufacturing problems tend to rear their heads in the first 50 to 100 hours of use - not always the case, but generally if it survives the first 100 hours of use you should not experience any manufacturing faults or issues thereafter.

I would say it is worth the risk.

Edited by MTBeer

Bought my 2012 Giant Anthem (Medium Frame) 2nd hand and am still riding it to this very day

Service it regularly. 

From my point-of-view it's an awesome "can-do-all" machine

Taking into account that I'm 76Kg the bike handles it with ease

Good luck and Giant Anthem's are awesome

I've been on a secondhand 2013 anthem for 1.5years now. I usually average around 120kg but currently waaaaay over that and no problems...BUT did you see the new 2018 models  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:

I've been on a secondhand 2013 anthem for 1.5years now. I usually average around 120kg but currently waaaaay over that and no problems...BUT did you see the new 2018 models  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:

Please don't start that. I saw the 2018, but budget will not allow it.

What sort of budget and size you looking at? I'm also looking for one, will keep an eye out.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

I bought a "new" 2014 anthem advanced 1 650B in 2016 off the shop floor at a very good price from the Giant Store in Durbanville, could be worth it looking there as the new models come in.

I ride a 2013 anthem x3 29er..bought it secondhand 2 years ago for 11k...absolutely love it... Got a brand new trance last year and sold it 3 weeks later... Just didnt like the feel.. No problems with my anthem frame thus far... You wont regret it.. Im thinking of upgrading to a carbon anthem when budget allows...

i was looking to buy a second hand anthem for around R18k in 2014...i searched and advertised that i was looking for one...no luck...couldnt find a second hand one at the time...i didnt have the R 28 k to buy one...then i heard about the frame issue...being a fatty (over 110 kg) at the time I decided to rather find the extra cash and get a new one...had to sell more stuff to come up with the money...i did buy a new anthem and the bike is insured. 

glad i bought the anthem...i love it...it was the cheapest dual sus bike i could find...i have left everything standard on the anthem...people suggested i replace the wheels etc...i am not an experienced enough mtb rider to notice any reason to upgrade my wheels at this point.

just make sure you load the piggy with lots of coins for when you need to replace all the bearings in the dual sus...i dont wash my bike after every ride anymore...not sure if that was the reason for having to replace the rusted bearing after 800 km....but I rather just dont take the chance.

i was looking to buy a second hand anthem for around R18k in 2014...i searched and advertised that i was looking for one...no luck...couldnt find a second hand one at the time...i didnt have the R 28 k to buy one...then i heard about the frame issue...being a fatty (over 110 kg) at the time I decided to rather find the extra cash and get a new one...had to sell more stuff to come up with the money...i did buy a new anthem and the bike is insured. 

glad i bought the anthem...i love it...it was the cheapest dual sus bike i could find...i have left everything standard on the anthem...people suggested i replace the wheels etc...i am not an experienced enough mtb rider to notice any reason to upgrade my wheels at this point.

just make sure you load the piggy with lots of coins for when you need to replace all the bearings in the dual sus...i dont wash my bike after every ride anymore...not sure if that was the reason for having to replace the rusted bearing after 800 km....but I rather just dont take the chance.

So i had a 2012 XTC 29er 0. Strictly speaking, the wife bought my anthem frame for me and i just rebuild all my components.

Currently the bike is running XT 1x11.. The only component left over from my original XTC is my fork. I did upgrade my wheels (while still having the XTC) to guess what...the anthem pxc wheels. Those dt swiss 350 hubs are bullet proof.

As i said before, i am a heavy rider, that RIDES my bike. (think old tokai, helderberg etc. type trails) and to today i have only broken 1 spoke (on a gravel road...) and my freehub body has some bite marks in from the cassette which is starting to cause issues.

Few useful things: on suspension linkage marine grease works wonders, it sticks like sh!t to a blanket and will handle washing far better even handles a high pressure hose to a certain extent, so it is great for suspension and steering bearings but not ideal for bottom bracket or wheel bearings. Cleaning and regreasing bearings is easy, learn to do it, do it often and your bearings will last long.

There is stuff called castrol DWF, after you wash spray/wipe bike down with it, keeps water/humidity out and stops surface rust, rather useful in places like Durban...