Erik Schipper (Van Gaalen Trails) breaks neck in accident

L.T.G

Not sure how to title this post that I'm devastated to be writing... but I thought I must share.

Erik had a bad accident last night and broke his neck.

He's one of the toughest people I have ever met and I'm sure he'll pull through this!

here's the post his son Victor put on Facebook:-

"Morning everyone, posting on behalf of my old man. Last night at 07:00 he was cycling back home after training with me . He was'nt home for dinner, and is no stranger to late night cycles. After a half hour I started searching for him, phoning his cell countless times. Eventually I heard his calls for help, 10m from our entrance, he was blinded by lights and fell down a storm drain, breaking his nek at 6/7.

He could not feel his legs, unnable to answer his phone. He is now in brits mediclinic with a possibility of being moved. We thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. We know him, lying down, and lying still are not one of his favorite things to do. Hes in good spirits , incredibly fit and has a never say die attitude, well take it on the chin, roll with the punches...my mother's given him so many kisses he loves the attention hes getting. I am his contact person for the time being."

Thoughts, prayers, well wishes to the master trail builder

post-6012-0-24897000-1500969974_thumb.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too terrible but let's hope in time he can make a full recovery. He's a hard man, anything is possible. He is a big part of JHB mountain biking so I hope to see him upright soon.  

My thoughts are with Eric and his family.

I had an endo in 2003 and had compression fractures to 3 of my vertebae.

I can remember that absolute feeling of dread of being permanently paralysed while lying waiting for the ambulance to arrive and for the doctors to diagnose