WTF type crashes

MJ the Expat

I call them stupid because once you got up you are like: "WTF???"

On Saturday I was riding home. Just past the entrance to RMH I reached for my water bottle. As I got upright to take a sip, my rear wheel hit a rock so hard that it launched me of the saddle. At that time I was holding on with just one hand and the only outcome was me flying through the air anticipating what is going to happen next.

As I was lying on the ground in the foetal position, I opened my eyes and was just in time for the dust cloud I created to blow over me.

Damage to my bike was bent rear wheel, bent brake disc (the wheel popped out of the stays and the disc hit the frame), bent lever on my brand new 11 speed XT shifter and a busted grip.

As I looked back about 5m from where I was, I saw the rock on the road and thought WTF? How did I not see that?

Total damage cost: R1700

Pain in the shower: 9/10 (elbow, knee, hip. Bruises on both legs.)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My very first time to Jonkershoek a few years ago, so was not sure where to go. At first I started heading up to the right of the valley towards Firehut, when I met a rider who told me to rather go to the otherside of the valley, and pointed me back down. 

So I get back down to just before the entrance and head towards the gate to the road that goes towards the left (North) of the valley towards canaries. The gate is closed, and there is a gap in the fence just to the left of the gate for riders and walkers to pass through. I was not going fast at all, and as I'm approaching the gap, my front wheel washes out from under me (still don't know how). I hit the pole holding the gate and hit the ground rather hard. I get up and start dusting my self off when I look at my arm. There is a huge rip in my arm. As I fell, my arm hit the threaded bar that attaches the gate to the fence post and it ripped (not cut) the arm open. There was just a couple of centimeters of the threaded bar sticking out.

Not even 5 minutes into my first ride at Jonkershoek. Ended up having 8 stitches in my arm, but luckily no damage to the bike. To this day, I still do not know how my front wheel washed out.

eina  :cursing:

Luckily no broken bones  :thumbup:  tomorrow you ride again

Frana,

As you know I was not so lucky. Twice!!! At least the second ones rock(s) was decent sized! :blush:

Rode back home from Red Barn a few years back. I stared at a train that was passing and rode smack bang into a rode barrier. Over the bars, broken seat post, 3 stitches in knee... It helps to look where you are going.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

My first "Winter Fast One" race, was barrelling down the flat jeep track. Spectacular OTB. ensues.

Just had time to look up from the long grass on the side and see my bike doing its second front flip, before doing a solid flat landing on the saddle. Asked (very loudly) "WTF did just happen??" to the very amused riders around me.

Saddle moertoe, spent 20 minutes trying to bend the rails more or less back into shape, ended up standing and pedaling most of the way to the finish. No scars on me, but new saddle and handlebars.

Went back to where I think I should have gone wrong, but really no idea what I hit (or what hit back).

While teaching my daughter how to ride, i decide to lift my front wheel and join her on the pavement.

Of course, i mistimed it and fell off the bike right in front of her...all at below walking pace.

Bike Damage: R0.00

Physical Pain: 1/10

Everlasting Shame: 10/10

Riding at Logwood Park reached into my pocket for food and hit a rut with my front wheel (a VERY small rut), bars swung round and I collapsed in a heap on top of my bike...no damage to bike but 3 cracked ribs from the bars jabbing me in the ribs...

A few years ago, while taking my 7 year old son for a ride around lower Tokai - all nice and slow and gentle and enjoying the views and weather and time together etc.

Down a small incline into a slow left corner and a very basic step up onto a bridge over the river - a single gum pole in height. I over complicate it by lifting my front wheel and then lean forward so that my rear wheel clears it (a very slow and laborious wheel-by-wheel bunny hop).

The next thing, the sky and dirt have swapped placed and I have done an arse-over-kettle landing on my shoulder (hands still on the bars). I keep rolling onto my back, just in time for my bike to land on my face - handlebars on my nose.

I stand up trying not to swear too much and my son has a serious WTF look on his face. I realise that my nose is bleeding and that the pain in my shoulder is real. so I downplay it as he starts to look a bit panicked. I wash my face and we take a slow ride back to the car where I load the bikes with one arm and drive slowly home wondering WTF just happened :cursing:  ?

It was a swollen nose for a day, level 1 shoulder separation (minor, but effing sore and annoying) for a month, and wounded pride for ever.

Didn't crash luckily but it was definitely a WTF moment. Was riding along casually and as I passed one of those wide drains on the side of the road(The ones you usually see cats run into) there was some sort of pressure release from it and what can only be described as a gust of wind came out of it and blew me right across the road. I was about 15/20m behind my toppie and he heard it/me and looked back and couldn't understand what happened. When I had finished k@king myself and looked back there was just paper and packets and rubbish lying all over the place that had been blown out. I can only imagine there had been an explosion in the drain somewhere(although we heard nothing).

My first "Winter Fast One" race, was barrelling down the flat jeep track. Spectacular OTB. ensues.

Just had time to look up from the long grass on the side and see my bike doing its second front flip, before doing a solid flat landing on the saddle. Asked (very loudly) "WTF did just happen??" to the very amused riders around me.

Saddle moertoe, spent 20 minutes trying to bend the rails more or less back into shape, ended up standing and pedaling most of the way to the finish. No scars on me, but new saddle and handlebars.

Went back to where I think I should have gone wrong, but really no idea what I hit (or what hit back).

Similar thing happened to my wife at the winter fast one. There was a section that ran parallel to the road. She was moooooving....and then not so much. To this day don't know what happened.

I was on may way back from Burry Stander Memorial in Bloemfontein.

Going slowly when the light turned red.

I stopped like a good citizen should and unclipped my right shoe.

When the light turned green I put my foot on the pedal and started pushing of in standing position, however my right foot never clipped in causing me to push past the pedal with my right foot straight onto the tar, while the left foot was pedalling hard already.

My right knee went hard into the tar while I did a summersault somehow with the bike flying over me.

Of course all the cars at the traffic light looking at this and waiting for me to get out of the road.

Not sure if I will be able to replicate if I try.

Luckily only some bruises on knee and no bike damage.

Back in the day my friend fell over at the start of a local trail with lots of people around. Ended up on his back still cleated in pedalling with both wheels in the air to try get his feet out. Not as much WTF, as WTFdidn'tyouloosenyourcleats...

Doing a Bloemendal night ride a few years back.

Coming back on the last section of ST, I catch up to a youngster that gives me panicked looks over his shoulder. Slowing down to his pace, I reassure him that I will stay behind him at his pace. Coming to the end you can either swing left and finish your ride like a civilized person, or carry on straight over a small wooden jump of only about half a meter high.

The youngster swung left, and I carried on to finish over the jump. As I was going quite slow, I decided to just sort of roll over the jump. The next moment I was flying over the bars, landing flat on my back, with my bike cartwheeling through the air. 

Shocked I lay there on my back, thinking WTF just happened here. As this is the end of the trail / ride, lots of people were milling around, and quite a few rushed forward to drag me out the way in case someone else comes over the jump at speed (as you should) and land on me.

Turned out that I landed with my front wheel in a freshly dug ditch, placed there to channel away rain water. This ditch was dug in the time since my last ride there, and I did not know about it. If I took the jump at "normal" speed, I would have cleared the ditch, but as I just rolled of it, I put my front wheel right into it.

Turned out I was not the first oke caught out like that, nor the last one for the night.