WTF type crashes

MJ the Expat

While riding over an over bridge railway crossing in Parden Eiland I attempted a little pavement jump at like 15km/h but got it wrong, couldn't uncleat in time (cleat plate was actually loose!) fell to the left and when realised I was stuck on the bike i decided to stick my arm out and grab a vertical bar on the fence...I missed, my arm went through the fence and continued falling until my arm hit the bottom horizontal bar...SNAP!http://www.capesteel.co.za/pics/Palisade-Fencing/palisade-fencing-3.gif

382369_10152571077390627_310938815_n.jpg

600316_10152637935690627_1383829516_n.jp

That looks like a serious upgrade!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With all these stories of people unable to uncleat in time, and with the Stellenbosch MTB Challenge coming, it reminded me of my most embarrassing "crash".

My first event after having just getting my bike 2 months prior was the Stellenbosch MTB Challenge (Die Burger back then). I hadn't been riding long, and for some reason decided to enter the 50km. So by the time I got to the last waterpoint, I was broken, absolutely exhausted. 

As I approach the watertable for some much needed replenishment, I come to a stop. I'm not sure if I just didn't have enough strength to unclip, or just forgot to unclip in my excitement of seeing the waterpoint, but yes, didn't unclip and just tipped right over onto my side.

No injuries or damage to the bike, but this happened right in front of the Sportman's Warehouse tent and all it's staff, who all give a big cheer and laugh. Luckily I was so far towards the back of the field, there weren't many other riders to witness it. 

This is hearsay but apparently when it happened it caused a huge bout of laughter. My mate was riding a race and being a biggish fella was near the back. He came to a puddle where a whole bunch of people who looked like beginners were fording the right side of the jeep track puddle. My mate being heavy and bold decided to belt through the left side which was wide open. Apparently when he got out of his cleats and managed to stand up the water was past his waist. Many guffaws.

Edited by Thor Buttox

At the start of the Gravel Travel MTB, one year, some poor dude clipped in but then had to unclip since he could not move yet. He got stuck and did a standing fall which broke his collar bone.  

While riding over an over bridge railway crossing in Parden Eiland I attempted a little pavement jump at like 15km/h but got it wrong, couldn't uncleat in time (cleat plate was actually loose!) fell to the left and when realised I was stuck on the bike i decided to stick my arm out and grab a vertical bar on the fence...I missed, my arm went through the fence and continued falling until my arm hit the bottom horizontal bar...SNAP!http://www.capesteel.co.za/pics/Palisade-Fencing/palisade-fencing-3.gif

OUCH!

My most WTF crash (as all of my crashes have been WTF ones) was on the spruit riding north towards William Nicol, approaching the stream crossing when you still needed to portage. Ride down the rooty section to unclip at the bottom..... Stopped at the bottom and didn't unclip. Fell to the left but luckily only fell halfway as there was a nice rock to put my shoulder against. It was at exactly the right height and pedal position so that my left foot couldn't unclip because my heel got stuck between the ground and pedal. It was also just high enough so that I couldn't put my hand on the ground. So there I lay, stuck in my bike against a rock while my mates just laughed at me trying to escape my self-made prison!

My very first time riding cleats, I decided to brave Big Red Barn... alone...

Got on, fell over. Should have gotten back into the car...

Anyway, I stopped counting how many times I fell on that ride, but the funniest/worst was getting to the top of a steep table top. It's on a section I don't normally ride.

Got to the top, and was just congratulating myself, unclipped left (YES!!!), fell over to the right (#$@!!). Rolled onto my back, right foot still clipped, and the wheels get caught in the branches of the Wattle tree. Bike not budging, can't unclip, lying on my back with the bike on top, head pointing down the slope.

WTF do I do now??

Edited by Belgarath

</thread>

What a break. Literally only bone poking through your meaty bits could have made my tjommie cease up more that it did from reading that :P

Ow Ow Ow !

I need to stop reading these otherwise I might be tempted to put my bike into storage :eek:

Mine happened a few weeks ago, I had just finished doing 25 odd kms of mtb trail and wanted some more distance so I set off on a tar ride down to Stellenbosch for coffee. At some stage on that route there's a section of track on the left that runs parallel to the tar road and at the entrance to get onto it, two elderly coloured ladies were waiting for a taxi.

I swerved off the tar onto the dirt as I passed them but what I didn't see was the fine layer of gravel dust on the last 30cm edge of the tar and my front wheel just disappeared under me and I moered down hard on the tar sliding into the dirt.

But the reaction and comments from the two coloured ladies was spectacular, who both rushed to help me up. The comments ranged from "Oh here meneer, meneer, meneer is jy okay?" to "Oh meneer het nou baie hard geval, dis 'n gevaarlike sport die meneer".

Worst of all, I couldn't talk at all because I was winded when my elbow went into my stomach so I kind of just stood there hunched over trying to suck in air like a guppy and making hand movements to show I was okay. I wasn't actually though, my ribs still hurt when I sleep on my left side :blush:

I had one on UCT Campus last year. Was riding at night, planning to jump onto the pavement, had done it fine a few times before. Small crowd of people were standing nearby.

A car had its lights on shining onto the pavement, easy to see the step up. As I got to about a meter from the pavement, the cars lights went out.

I misjudged the pavement, lifted the front wheel far too early, front wheel went into pavement, I went over handlebar and landed on my knee on the edge of the pavement. Half the people were asking if I was ok, others were laughing. I casually stood up, said I was fine, rode round the corner, and then checked the extent of injuries.

Had a nice bruise on my knee, and a couple of scratches on the bike. Didn't receive there again for a while.

You win!

That sent shivers up my spine

The irony is the gate on the other side of the crossing was locked so we wouldn't have been able to go that way anyway. Lucky I had a mate with me, Ollie Gimberg, as I properly went into shock but he calmed me down called the wife who rushed me to hospital for emergency surgery.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The irony is the gate on the other side of the crossing was locked so we wouldn't have been able to go that way anyway. Lucky I had a mate with me, Ollie Gimberg, as I properly went into shock but he calmed me down called the wife who rushed me to hospital for emergency surgery.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Glad it all turned out okay.

Now you can answer the question - for an upgrade like you had done would one recommend Carbon or Titanium?

First broken collarbone.

Riding on a flat, straight most average piece of dirt road in Spruit, in front of Trailhead. If you ride the Spruit, you know the part I am talking of.

Took my right hand off the bar to casually point at some horses, "look how lovely they are, nogal right here in the middle of Johanne&(!/@/'a boom $;83$2?"

Clipped the edge of the track with my front wheel and went down faster than a Kardashian. In front of my riding mate.

Broken Clavicle, bruised ego, 2 years of being mocked by my mates and an unhealthy dislike of horses. Horses mostly come at night, mostly.

Edited by Patchelicious

I was about 10 years old, my boet and I went for a Saturday ride following paths in the green belt between Secunda and trichardt. 

Reached Trichardt and went down a nice descend and had to turn left at the bottom. 

My brother was about 10 meters ahead of me, with his new 18 speed, made a left and I saw him go down. 

Next thing I know he was standing over me and asking if I am okay. 

The culprit was gravel on a tar road.... Had to cycle back home all the way. I had that paragon all the way to first year of university. And it got stolen. 

I also did my first 100 km ride on it in my matric year.