Audi A1 Bike Rack Options

JohnnyB3

Just because you can fit some universal rack onto an A1 doesn't mean you should. There's a good reason Thule and Buzzrack don't make a boot rack to fit the A1. 

My 2c.

Agreed, I just thought maybe I got bad advise the first time around.

Definitely don't want to risk damaging my new Specialized Epic Comp.

Sorry just had to write what new bike I got. Whoop whoop! Minaar must watch himself, i'm coming for him....if I can get my bike to the travel head.

You rate this will work on the A1? Others in this post reckon it won't fit...

I am not sure why it would not work. I have fitted mine to a polo, fiesta, fortuner and a Jazz. 

I don't see why it would not work? 

Its not clamping on glass, you may just have to check the spoiler on the top, but should be fine. 

Hell of a lot cheaper than R6k tow bar and R2k tow bar platform rack.

Also.... if you go the towbar route just check with Audi. I went clip on route because if I didn't get the towbar through BMW I would apparently lose the warranty on my electrics and suspension (harsh but not unjustified). Towbar from them was quoted at R12k back then. Plus about 8k for a (Thule) rack. I got my Thule Raceway new from CycleLab for R3000ish if I remember correctly.

I am not sure why it would not work. I have fitted mine to a polo, fiesta, fortuner and a Jazz. 

I don't see why it would not work? 

Its not clamping on glass, you may just have to check the spoiler on the top, but should be fine. 

Hell of a lot cheaper than R6k tow bar and R2k tow bar platform rack.

Also have one of those Thule raceways. The design should allow it to work on basically any car. 

But, I'd still go for a towbar...on my next car.

Also.... if you go the towbar route just check with Audi. I went clip on route because if I didn't get the towbar through BMW I would apparently lose the warranty on my electrics and suspension (harsh but not unjustified). Towbar from them was quoted at R12k back then. Plus about 8k for a (Thule) rack. I got my Thule Raceway new from CycleLab for R3000ish if I remember correctly.

As mentioned in another towbar thread, my 330d is an ex-factory demo (specced for the marketing manager in Roslyn). It arrived with an aftermarket removable towbar fitted with no effect on motorplan at all. Very odd that a BMW employee would fit an after market product though, but I wasn't complaining...

Rather check with the dealer principal directly if you're not certain, don't believe what the sales smouse or appie in the workshop tell you ;) 

As mentioned in another towbar thread, my 330d is an ex-factory demo (specced for the marketing manager in Roslyn). It arrived with an aftermarket removable towbar fitted with no effect on motorplan at all. Very odd that a BMW employee would fit an after market product though, but I wasn't complaining...

Rather check with the dealer principal directly if you're not certain, don't believe what the sales smouse or appie in the workshop tell you ;)

A bit off topic, but that was from the dealer principal. But from what I've heard to the "BMW" one is an aftermarket one anyway unless it's ordered with a towbar from BMW. But basically it goes to a BMW vetted supplier, and then they throw a markup at it and it gets loaded onto your key that it was a "BMW towbar". I completely understand though because they go through a process of verring the installer, and then need to take out some form of insurance for the warranty. Otherwise I could go to anyone and get it done, and if they mess up something then I take the car back to BMW and tell them to fix..... doesn't exactly seem fair. 

Also have one of those Thule raceways. The design should allow it to work on basically any car.

But, I'd still go for a towbar...on my next car.

50d42f87cd9d9e6b7e5b3aeaa10f123c.jpg

That's what I did when someone wrote my car and bike rack off!!!