Weekend Mtb around Somerset West

Chingy182

Hi guys

Any suggestions regarding a decent 20-40km mtb cycling trail (+-1000m elevation) around Somerset West area?

I am currently looking at the Helderberg farm mtb route for the weekend (29&30 July)

Any info on the safety of the various routes on offer in the area?

I get the feeling Schapenberg mtb trails are not safe due to its location.

If anyone is keen to ride with me on the weekend or invite me to ride with their group will be great.

Start ride after permits bough approximately 08h30.

Alternative option is to drive through and cycle at Jonkershoek.

*Johan

Two trips to the top of helderberg farm should meet your requirements. Just beware as most lines from the top are either downhill or enduro routes.

There is also True Grit Bike Park as an option, although I haven't been there in over a year/since the fires.

Another option, although this is towards Stellies side, is Mont Marie, Eden, G-Spot

Grabouw is closer than Stellenbosch if you're willing to drive, and there are some great trails there with decent climbing.

Grabouw Country Club

Oak Valley

Paul Cluver

Lebanon

And then there is Eden in Stellenbosch. The Stellenbosch Trail Fund have been quite busy in recent times and the trails are in great shape.

Wannabee trails for relatively flat riding, mostly farm road in between vinyards, singletrack here and there.

Bottelary Hills: same, with a more singletrack

Grabouw for increased fun riding - bit more technical but nothing extreme. Nice berms and bridges and stuff.

Jonkers has more climbing, and fun long descents, DH and enduro lines, eock gardens etc.

Helderberg trails for enduro style riding

Helderberg trails are great - fun, technical and quite a bit of climbing. Lots of different routes to explore.

Check out the Muratie and Delheim trails near Stellenbosch. Fun and flowing with different loops depending on the distance you want to do. Just don't do that one on Sunday as the Stellenbosch mtb race is going through there.

Jonkers and Bottelary are also good options for that distance and elevation. I don't think the race is passing through there.

Hi guys

Any suggestions regarding a decent 20-40km mtb cycling trail (+-1000m elevation) around Somerset West area?

I am currently looking at the Helderberg farm mtb route for the weekend (29&30 July)

Any info on the safety of the various routes on offer in the area?

I get the feeling Schapenberg mtb trails are not safe due to its location.

If anyone is keen to ride with me on the weekend or invite me to ride with their group will be great.

Start ride after permits bough approximately 08h30.

Alternative option is to drive through and cycle at Jonkershoek.

*Johan

Jis Johan

download Engena app...shows routes in your area. http://www.engena.co.za/

Also look at a combo of Coetzenburg, Gspot, Eden forrest and Mont Mari...http://www.stellenboschtrailfund.co.za/maps.html