Any hacks for damaged Garmin Prem. HR strap?

MTBc

Took my strap to Navworld last week.  If it's a HRM mk1, 3 or 4 they will replace it free of charge.  For some reason Garmin does not warrantee the Mk 2, but Navworld gave me a new one at halfprice - came to R560.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cut the strap between the 2 connector points.

Trim each side slightly so they don't touch

Problem sorted.

The sweat is causing the material to conduct which is causing issues then with the sensor.

Have been using mine for over the month with no issues.

I had the same experience with HR, either not present or very low.

I washed the strap as per recommendation but it only helped for a ride or 2 then back to the same issue.

Search the internet for a few days until I got this and it works.

Legen.....dary....

The issue was around conductivity through moisture. An alternative less destructive solution:

post-16445-0-79286900-1501569938_thumb.jpg

Insulate it. Not sure how long it will last though, will see how durable this solution is and have the polar for a backup until I make it to Navworld.

Thanks for all the replies.

I was told the warranty is 1 year. Mine never make it! Keep the slip and go to the agents to get an upgrade or replacement.

Tried the polar strap. Lasted 6 months. Garmin lasts longer but less than a year.

I train about 5 days a week most weeks.

Had my Garmin HRM belt for around 16 months now without issues. I wash it perhaps 3 times a year.

I think the newer design has improved over the older design. Went through 3 of the old HRM belts in a year!

• 5 months later...

Just saw this thread.  Maybe someone here can advise rather than I start a new thread just for this?

Not sure if my problem is the Garmin strap or the HR transmitter or even the display unit which is the problem.  Have googled, fiddled, tried all sorts of things but besides trying the insulation hack above, or sending the unit in for a check, not sure what to try next.

I bought a second hand Edge 500 end of last year.  Have only used Polar so far but keen to try Garmin.  However, i just cannot get consistent use out of the HR side of the unit.  It seemed to be OK when I got it although the unit was not exactly in the condition I was led to expect.  Nevertheless, first ride seemed ok.

But then problems started with HR recording and seem to be getting worse (see below)

So I've tried:

1. treating the strap exactly as I did my Polar strap (which still works perfectly after almost 10 years)

2. washing the strap

3. not washing the strap

4. rinsing the strap lightly after each use

5. replacing the transmitter battery

4. tightening the strap

5. wearing cotton shirt instead of synthetic

6. using the polar strap with the transmitter

7. wearing the strap for 15 minutes before recording

But... I am still getting crazy readings, starting off in the 200s, then settling after some time (10 to 15 minutes, shorter, or longer!) in more believable territory, then saying haywire again.

I've tried to figure if there is any source of interference (overhead cables... wireless??) or if its picking up static from clothing or a conductivity issue... but just can't work it out. Seemed to be worse actually after washing so I thought it might be conduction so tried the polar strap.  Same result.

Could it be the transmitter itself, or the head unit??  It has worked properly (apparently - no HR spikes but nothing to compare it with) so I'd rule out the unit.

Am I not looking after the strap properly or is it likely to be the unit?  What do you do to keep your strap working properly??  Ideas/thoughts/advice would be much appreciated!

Some data...

11 Jan

post-7319-0-11498700-1516091906_thumb.png

20 Dec

post-7319-0-11498700-1516091906_thumb.png

Just saw this thread.  Maybe someone here can advise rather than I start a new thread just for this?

Not sure if my problem is the Garmin strap or the HR transmitter or even the display unit which is the problem.  Have googled, fiddled, tried all sorts of things but besides trying the insulation hack above, or sending the unit in for a check, not sure what to try next.

I bought a second hand Edge 500 end of last year.  Have only used Polar so far but keen to try Garmin.  However, i just cannot get consistent use out of the HR side of the unit.  It seemed to be OK when I got it although the unit was not exactly in the condition I was led to expect.  Nevertheless, first ride seemed ok.

But then problems started with HR recording and seem to be getting worse (see below)

So I've tried:

1. treating the strap exactly as I did my Polar strap (which still works perfectly after almost 10 years)

2. washing the strap

3. not washing the strap

4. rinsing the strap lightly after each use

5. replacing the transmitter battery

4. tightening the strap

5. wearing cotton shirt instead of synthetic

6. using the polar strap with the transmitter

7. wearing the strap for 15 minutes before recording

But... I am still getting crazy readings, starting off in the 200s, then settling after some time (10 to 15 minutes, shorter, or longer!) in more believable territory, then saying haywire again.

I've tried to figure if there is any source of interference (overhead cables... wireless??) or if its picking up static from clothing or a conductivity issue... but just can't work it out. Seemed to be worse actually after washing so I thought it might be conduction so tried the polar strap.  Same result.

Could it be the transmitter itself, or the head unit??  It has worked properly (apparently - no HR spikes but nothing to compare it with) so I'd rule out the unit.

Am I not looking after the strap properly or is it likely to be the unit?  What do you do to keep your strap working properly??  Ideas/thoughts/advice would be much appreciated!

Some data...

11 Jan

attachicon.gifEdge500 11Jan18.png

20 Dec

attachicon.gifEdge500 11Jan18.png

My strap stopped working so first thing that came to mind was that the battery was flat. Got a new battery but still didn't work.

Took it to navworld and the guy asked me if i did a reset when i put in the new battery. I told him i didn't even know you could reset it so he reset it by just turning the battery upside then putting the cover back on for about 10 seconds. Put the battery back in the right way and it worked, apparently it causes a short which resets it. Been working fine since

Maybe give that a try.

My strap stopped working so first thing that came to mind was that the battery was flat. Got a new battery but still didn't work.

Took it to navworld and the guy asked me if i did a reset when i put in the new battery. I told him i didn't even know you could reset it so he reset it by just turning the battery upside then putting the cover back on for about 10 seconds. Put the battery back in the right way and it worked, apparently it causes a short which resets it. Been working fine since

Maybe give that a try.

Definitely! Thanks.

@ gogo@

If you have a friend that also uses Garmin maybe swap units with him and you can see what happens.

In my experience the units are normally ok but those straps can drive a person to drink.

The best straps for me are still the 1st one's they released where it's one unit (no clips).

I used one of those for many, many years without any problems and still have it.

Moved over to the clip in HR unit and strap and get a headache every now and then.

@ gogo@

If you have a friend that also uses Garmin maybe swap units with him and you can see what happens.

In my experience the units are normally ok but those straps can drive a person to drink.

The best straps for me are still the 1st one's they released where it's one unit (no clips).

I used one of those for many, many years without any problems and still have it.

Moved over to the clip in HR unit and strap and get a headache every now and then.

Have this in mind as well! Will ask around but I’m sure I can find someone. Having switched from Polar I must say I’m not impressed with this at all. Because I can’t put my finger on the problem I also cannot revert to the seller who may/may not have been aware of any issues.

Have this in mind as well! Will ask around but I’m sure I can find someone. Having switched from Polar I must say I’m not impressed with this at all. Because I can’t put my finger on the problem I also cannot revert to the seller who may/may not have been aware of any issues.

I understand your frustration. I'm having a similar challenge with a different product and it's very annoying.

Where you based ?

Surely there must be some hubbers around who would assist.

Try a different Garmin device

Try a different Garmin HR transmitter

Try a different HR strap

Oh, what you could also do is pair your HR transmitter to a WattBike.

If it reads the same as your Garmin then you can move more suspicion to the HR Transmitter / Strap.

Oh, what you could also do is pair your HR transmitter to a WattBike.

If it reads the same as your Garmin then you can move more suspicion to the HR Transmitter / Strap.

Will try the reset mentioned above, then this at the gym tomorrow. If that fails then it will be swopping units next!

Maybe give that a try.

You, sir, get the cheese!!

Many thanks, I did exactly this, and it seems very much to have solved the problem. Went for a ride to try it out this morning and HR on the bike and in the recording looks like it should.

Ba daaaa!

I looked everywhere for a solution and not once did this suggestion come up, that I could see.

Thank you!!

:)  :)  :)