Braai etiket...

MJ the Expat

How is goat meat? The Checkers where I shop sells goat chips etc.

Few would know the difference between lamb and goat. (If it is not a terribly old billygoat.) In fact, I'm not so sure a lot of "Karoo lamb" is really what the label says. :ph34r: 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Few would know the difference between lamb and goat. (If it is not a terribly old billygoat.) In fact, I'm not so sure a lot of "Karoo lamb" is really what the label says. :ph34r:

Ha ha

There is a difference in taste

Goats eat leaves and sheep eat grass generally dependant on what is available

Ha ha

I was thinking in terms of toughness. Is it tougher than lamb?

Ha ha

Yes, it depends on what they eat. 

In the Karoo, where I am from, they basically eat the same things, and not many would be able to tell the difference between similar age animals.

As for toughness, if it is a similar age animal, of the same sex, there really is no difference.

sorry chops not chips

Ha ha, yes, I wondered for a moment what goat chips would look like.......before figuring out that the i and the o are next to each other on the keyboard.

Yes, it depends on what they eat.

In the Karoo, where I am from, they basically eat the same things, and not many would be able to tell the difference between similar age animals.

As for toughness, if it is a similar age animal, of the same sex, there really is no difference.

My grandparents on my mom's side farmed outside Uitenhage with Angora for wool and Boerbok for meat

All of our holidays were spent on the farm and besides chicken and turkey,goat was the staple meat

I love the taste.

I prob taste like goat as I used to eat handfuls of spekboom leaves between meals.Delicious.

My grandparents on my mom's side farmed outside Uitenhage with Angora for wool and Boerbok for meat

All of our holidays were spent on the farm and besides chicken and turkey,goat was the staple meat

I love the taste.

I prob taste like goat as I used to eat handfuls of spekboom leaves between meals.Delicious.

My maternal grandfather farmed ostriches, dairy, fruit, sheep and goats near Calitzdorp. Real old style mixed farming. The goats he really just left to their own devices in the mountainous part of his farm where nothing else could survive. I think he liked his goats the best because they caused him the least amount of trouble. 

• 4 months later...
On 4/10/2021 at 1:04 PM, Kranswurm said:

I love the taste.

Ditto. Aside from the wild boar and buck we occasionally hunted for food, goat was savoured as well.  My grandparents rented and farmed a small portion of the farm Amanzi outside Uitenhage, where Sir Percy Fitzpatrick wrote Jock of the Bushveld.  On the few times that we visited the Niven's main house I was always drawn to the chair and desk at which he wrote, sometimes under the trees out front of the house.  Your post brought back amazing childhood memories from half a century ago.

Edited by justinafrika

On 8/15/2021 at 7:21 AM, justinafrika said:

Ditto. Aside from the wild boar and buck we occasionally hunted for food, goat was savoured as well.  My grandparents rented and farmed a small portion of the farm Amanzi outside Uitenhage, where Sir Percy Fitzpatrick wrote Jock of the Bushveld.  On the few times that we visited the Nivens’ main house I was always drawn to the chair and desk at which he wrote, sometimes under the trees out front of the house.  Your post brought back amazing childhood memories from half a century ago.

Stunning 

Folks, just bought a very old sheep carcass (butchered). Have tried some chops (quite tough but super tasty) and made stew (awesome), but am keen to Braai the mutton in the best possible way. Any suggestions from experienced mutton Braai experts? 

3 hours ago, BigDL said:

Folks, just bought a very old sheep carcass (butchered). Have tried some chops (quite tough but super tasty) and made stew (awesome), but am keen to Braai the mutton in the best possible way. Any suggestions from experienced mutton Braai experts? 

The carcass of a very old sheep or a very old sheep carcass? The latter should be tender. ???? I think there’s a reason people tend to stew rather than braai mutton but here I think we would be biased by the strong flavour from a lifetime of pungent herbs in the diet which you wouldn’t have over there? still would need to marinade though. With goat legs bought in local markets - which can be pretty full on when older - would do incision and push garlic cloves in and baste with wine/olive oil and rosemary.

14 hours ago, geomark said:

The carcass of a very old sheep or a very old sheep carcass? The latter should be tender. ???? I think there’s a reason people tend to stew rather than braai mutton but here I think we would be biased by the strong flavour from a lifetime of pungent herbs in the diet which you wouldn’t have over there? still would need to marinade though. With goat legs bought in local markets - which can be pretty full on when older - would do incision and push garlic cloves in and baste with wine/olive oil and rosemary.

????- the carcass of an old ewe. 

very strong taste, but really nice. With the stew, I put in a bit of smoked pork to balance the flavour, which worked pretty well. I’ll try the marinade and baste options this weekend. Thanks for the advice 

• 1 month later...