Braai etiket...

MJ the Expat

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me drop this here. In support of Brainy Birds Parrot Rescue.

FB_IMG_1632344336650.jpg.b1c55cc0b060e6691d526a612592e724.jpg

Free delivery in SA. 

Purchase tickets online

And if you're in Joburg on Friday 24th they're having a spit braai to raise funds as well.

Edited by Uni

• 2 months later...

[video-to-gif output image]

End of last summer I make a moerse fire in the braai from tree limbs that we pruned. It was all good until it was not good anymore.

The fire popped off the fire bricks (80% of them) so we could not use the braai without damaging the walls.

Then for some damned reason whenever l went to the shops to buy refractory cement, they never had in stock.

Managed to pick up a single premixed container the other day, of a mighty 2kg. This did not go very far and the struggle was real finding more. Our local Brights had a single damaged bag of unmixed refractory cement in a bulky 25kgs hidden away in the back that I claimed. Retain on the 25kg is only R100 more than the premixed 2kg!

A bit of work and a good 4 hour curing fire and my braai is back, just in time for summer :)

12 hours ago, Hairy said:

[video-to-gif output image]

End of last summer I make a moerse fire in the braai from tree limbs that we pruned. It was all good until it was not good anymore.

The fire popped off the fire bricks (80% of them) so we could not use the braai without damaging the walls.

Then for some damned reason whenever l went to the shops to buy refractory cement, they never had in stock.

Managed to pick up a single premixed container the other day, of a mighty 2kg. This did not go very far and the struggle was real finding more. Our local Brights had a single damaged bag of unmixed refractory cement in a bulky 25kgs hidden away in the back that I claimed. Retain on the 25kg is only R100 more than the premixed 2kg!

A bit of work and a good 4 hour curing fire and my braai is back, just in time for summer :)

.......................and suddenly it is WINTER again ????

2 hours ago, DJR said:

.......................and suddenly it is WINTER again ????

Clearly the gif thing did not work .... so downscaled to a still image screen grab

image.png.27a19d57ed0d73b5641e9587401e003a.png

1 minute ago, Hairy said:

Clearly the gif thing did not work .... so downscaled to a still image screen grab

image.png.27a19d57ed0d73b5641e9587401e003a.png

Nice. Now I'm lus for some braaid lamb chops.

Where did you get the wood? I need to top up mine. 

22 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Nice. Now I'm lus for some braaid lamb chops.

Where did you get the wood? I need to top up mine. 

That is the "pretty" fireplace wood that the wife has stored under there as it is visible from inside.

The ugly rooikraans is around the corner.

Absolute best supplier yet is Angus on 0835107621. He delivers and packs the wood, and he has properly seasoned wood.

Fireplace bluegum = R1400.00 x 1000pcs

Rooikraans = R2000 x 1000pcs (To be confirmed)

Alternatively if we need a quick batch of fire wood we get it from the Charlies Wood on the Westcoast road where you turn off to Melkbos. https://www.facebook.com/Charlys-Wood-Melkbosstrand-1435379506607076/
076 315 1582

1st Prize is getting your wood from Angus.

18 minutes ago, Hairy said:

That is the "pretty" fireplace wood that the wife has stored under there as it is visible from inside.

Absolute best supplier yet is Angus on 0835107621. He delivers and packs the wood, and he has properly seasoned wood.

Alternatively if we need a quick batch of fire wood we get it from the Charlies Wood on the Westcoast road where you turn off to Melkbos. https://www.facebook.com/Charlys-Wood-Melkbosstrand-1435379506607076/
076 315 1582

Lol. The pretty wood looks good. I'll give Angus a call. Thanks for sharing the contact.

20 hours ago, Hairy said:

076 315 1582

I must be spoiled because I buy my wood from suppliers in the Overberg and ship it down myself, as those prices are making my eyes water.

1 hour ago, PhilipV said:

I must be spoiled because I buy my wood from suppliers in the Overberg and ship it down myself, as those prices are making my eyes water.

it is a million times better than buying elsewhere around here.

The fireplace wood though has been exceptional. Properly seasoned, decent sized sections and it burns so damned clean.....oh, they can also remove the bark for you. Previous suppliers promised seasoned wood, but it never really was, getting the bark off is pain in the neck, if you do not remove it then it leaves a gummy soot trail on your glass that is a pain to clean off.