Also replaced all my bearing a week ago,  went with the cheap stuff from bearing agent, cost around R170. If I went with the brand bearing it would have been about R300, not much but need to cut the cost at the moment. I just made sure to cover them with grease on each side, although they do have the proper dust covers. 

Im  sure if I take proper care they should last or lets hope so. Whats weird is that the pics above show the bearings open or exposed. Shouldn't they have dust covers?

Went for the good stuff today. Got a R800 shock. <_<

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think i will need to replace mine at some point in the next couple of months (Giant Trance).

Decided to google some tools and come across this specific one:

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/giant_maestro_bearing_tool_kit-ID_68169?gclid=CjwKCAjwk4vMBRAgEiwA4ftLs5UlAXGCWn0dnTNNSJiZYvb50Ig3R6WAAlggSVL3pgxoR9kCN5B1-RoC5NcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Pretty cool but wonder if it would work with other bikes.

Alan D.

As long as the bearing sizes remain the same. Sure it would work on any bike. Although its designed for Gaint.

I had a friend turn me So dollys from nylon to push out the bearings and have a Carbon cup that wont scratch the frames.

Tools on the web is craze exspensive.

Maybe we can source some second hand in SA.

Edited by Batmann2

For pivot bearings I prefer Enduro full compliment bearings packed with Marine grease. For wheel bearings NSK et al will be fine.

Alan D.

As long as the bearing sizes remain the same. Sure it would work on any bike. Although its designed for Gaint.

I had a friend turn me So dollys from nylon to push out the bearings and have a Carbon cup that wont scratch the frames.

Tools on the web is craze exspensive.

Maybe we can source some second hand in SA.

Would be nice to get some second hand ones. I have a friend coming to SA so they could bring it back for me. Are you able to source any?

For pivot bearings I prefer Enduro full compliment bearings packed with Marine grease. For wheel bearings NSK et al will be fine.

Spot on for repacking your bearings with marine grease which is obviously more resistant to water and solvents which I  feel is the greatest cause of bearing failure - out of interest, what brand of grease are you using - would like to test it against what I am using.

Spot on for repacking your bearings with marine grease which is obviously more resistant to water and solvents which I  feel is the greatest cause of bearing failure - out of interest, what brand of grease are you using - would like to test it against what I am using.

CRC Sta-Lube. Comes in a dark blue carton cylinder. Turquoise in colour. Probably the same grease used by Enduro.  

I always keep a 20ml syringe full of it in my cycling toolbox.

Edited by Moridin

CRC Sta-Lube. Comes in a dark blue carton cylinder. Turquoise in colour. Probably the same grease used by Enduro.  

I always keep a 20ml syringe full of it in my cycling toolbox.

Thanks . I took a variety of different greases, subjected them to high heat, periods of soaking in different solvents such as petrol, paraffin and Prepsol. Red Rubber grease came out tops by a long margin. I have now been using it for years on steering head and suspension bearings on both bicycles and motorbikes and on Crankbrothers pedals. In certain instances the life span on bearings has been increased by years. Will get a tube of the CRC stuff and subject it to the same.

Would be nice to get some second hand ones. I have a friend coming to SA so they could bring it back for me. Are you able to source any?

Hi Alan,

I would invest in a blind hole puller set before the presses.  Ardendorff have one for under a grand.  It is a lot easier to make or imitate a press than to extract a problem bearing from a frame.  With a puller you can even use the old bearing as a press and then pull it out once the new one is seated.

and are you happy with the bearings, any failures?

100% happy, no failures so far.

Edit: The cycle shops get their bearing from the same place. I buy branded ones. SKF or NCC

Edited by Quagga

Hi Alan,

I would invest in a blind hole puller set before the presses.  Ardendorff have one for under a grand.  It is a lot easier to make or imitate a press than to extract a problem bearing from a frame.  With a puller you can even use the old bearing as a press and then pull it out once the new one is seated.

So a quick google on the Ardendorff and presume its this one you talking about:

https://www.adendorff.co.za/shop/hand-tools/mac-afric-slide-hammer-bearing-puller-set-9-piece/

Seeing as though i am now in the UK i did an ebay search and came up with a whole lot but many seem the same (the first one). Im still a nubie at the mechanical side so which ones on this list would be best:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=blindhole%20puller%20set%20adendorf&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Quick question while on this topic...

I know this is a "how long is a piece of string" question, but what is the average time period or mileage you can get out of your OE pivot bearing set?

Granted conditions play a part but lets just average it out to 50/50 wet and dry rides with a bike wash after every ride!

Edited by Mr lee

Quick question while on this topic...

I know this is a "how long is a piece of string" question, but what is the average time period or mileage you can get out of your OE pivot bearing set?

Granted conditions play a part but lets just average it out to 50/50 wet and dry rides with a bike wash after every ride!

My guestimate is about 3 years. Will see how long mine last now that I repack with CRC marine grease every year.

• 2 months later...

So i got a bearing puller, one of those hammer like ones when you when you grab and yank back and forth, and a bearing press.

My new pivot bearings arrived today which are not the very expensive ones (cant afford that) but seem like good quality (hoepfully) so will give them a go, they were not cheap either.

Earlier this week i had a look at the current pivots and they were in bad shape, so just took the covers off and shoved some grease in there as an interim solution for my ride today.

Planning on changing them this coming week but have a few questions before i get stuck in and have issues:

1) Tried the bearing puller briefly and could not get the bearing out. Could it be glued amd if so what can i do to remove it?

2) Do i need to grease or use any special retaining compound when putting the new ones in?

3) The one bearing i can just simply push out, and a very light push and it comes out. This does not seem right. Would i need to glue that one?

Thanks.