AC Smokin Guns or Ztr Flow mk3 hope pro 4

Pikey

So as the title suggests am looking for some new boost wheels that will be light enough to pedal over distance but resilient enough to hand a few rock gardens and general trail riding.

Weight and how they roll is as much a factor as I like to do distance as well as short fun stuff.

The bike is boost which is another consideration. Actual boost hub's or the axle kit AC offer to make hub's boost compatible. Would rather not have boost but unfortunately the bike I wanted is.

I can't see there is any perceivable difference between actual boost hub's and the axle conversion.

Although some argue it's pointless having a boost bike and then just adjusting the spacing. I know in the real world I can't feel the difference .

Have already ridden the bike with loan wheels that are boost hub's vs my wheels which are spaced .

I will only be running 2.2 -2.3 rears and 2.3- 2.4 fronts if that has any bearing on my decision as the ac's are wide proper wide.

Anyone who has ridden or owned either or both your input would be appreciated. As would anyone who wants to pass on some advice .

Am leaning towards the smokin guns,what a freakin cool name .

Oh and on a mid travel 9r

Have put this out there instead of hassling MM ????????

Edited by Pikey

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of those 2 and with those tire sizes I'd go for the Flows. 40mm internal is pushing past the boundaries of most 2.35-2.5 tires and you have to choose very carefully to ensure the tread doesn't get too square on the wider rims. With 2.25's they'd be far too wide. If you were thinking of schwalbe 2.35/maxxis 2.5wt/maxxis 2.6 and larger then the smoking guns would be more relevant, and they could be argued for.

Also. Getting replacement stuff (rims / spokes / internals) for the flow/hope mix will be FAR easier and cost effective than the AC's

Edited by Myles Mayhew

And I ended up answering you anyway. Lol.

Had that thought about the tyres not being wide enough for the ac's . What would be the smallest tyre that would sit properly to benefit from the width?

Have in my mind that 2.4 and bigger would not best be suited to marathon distances ?

Go with hope and I would suggest arch mk3 over flow. The new arch is the same width as the old flow. 2.2-2.3.

No need in my opinion to go wider than the arch

Go with hope and I would suggest arch mk3 over flow. The new arch is the same width as the old flow. 2.2-2.3.

Was opting for flow as on special.

I don't know the Stan's wheels all that well. What's the difference between Flow & arch ?

Weight and width, new flows are 29 ID where arch is 26ID. Currently running arch on 27.5 and I have been doing xco as well as enduro with 2.25 tyres.

Weight and width, new flows are 29 ID where arch is 26ID. Currently running arch on 27.5 and I have been doing xco as well as enduro with 2.25 tyres.

What is the normal going rate for the arch or flow on hope 4 boost hub's ? Cwc have on special for R6899

Wide lightning would be better for XC I also love the look of the smoken gun (and the name). I am running the ac race and at 97kg I am impressed by them!

O and I have seen the wide lightning for around the same price as the Flow's

Edited by Me rida my bicycle

Wide lightning would be better for XC I also love the look of the smoken gun (and the name). I am running the ac race and at 97kg I am impressed by them!

They are nice, but break one and weep at the replacement cost.

What is the normal going rate for the arch or flow on hope 4 boost hub's ? Cwc have on special for R6899

That's a damn good price.

Cost per rim is ~1400 then there's the hubs at 4k MINIMUM and then the spokes and build cost....

Edited by Myles Mayhew

O and I have seen the wide lightning for around the same price as the Flow's

i have already hurt a set of WL . Good few dents but still kept a tubeless tyre up and running true. And I am not heavy either.

Best tip with the AC's,if you dent them leave them don't try & have the dent straightened .

Worst mistake I made .