List of Mtb races with good prize money

jamiepenfold3

The reality is that organizing a race cost loads of money and sponsors are hard to find. To offer prizemoney to a handful of contenders doesn't make sense anymore. My survey last year(I am an events organiser) also showed overwhelmingly(almost 90%) that cyclists don't care about prizemoney and medals. They want to have a good fun time with a very nice route with friends and family.

I have only bad experiences with cyclists or their dads phoning in asking about prizemoney and I have yet to see a pro or top cyclist reaching out and say.."here I am, how can I help your event grow"

My advice for you you, if it really is your dream, and some has already mentioned it here, get a part-time job, save up, get a loan somewhere and be accountable ...that will show people how serious you are and they will invest in you - good luck. Having said all that, I'm willing to help with free entries and the like...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Send a link to your Twitter and instagram. 

Sponsors dont really care if you podium or are the last oke over the line. They want to align their brand with someone that supports their brand image. Even if you get a sponsor to cover entries, the prize money would be lekker on top. 

Most races only offer up R500 max as prize money. 

Sad to say but u gonna have to be very good to cut the cheese overseas, rather concentrate on you studies.

Listen to what Lance has to say about it 10 minutes in...

Edited by nathrix ® ©™

If you need to make money to go overseas, get a summer job. Wash cars. Waiter. Walk dogs.

Winnings won't get you far. (I've won a pair of socks and a bottle of wine this year, and not enough money to cover my entries)

Set up a GoFundMe or OpenSponsorship page. Get active on social media.

The reality is that organizing a race cost loads of money and sponsors are hard to find. To offer prizemoney to a handful of contenders doesn't make sense anymore. My survey last year(I am an events organiser) also showed overwhelmingly(almost 90%) that cyclists don't care about prizemoney and medals. They want to have a good fun time with a very nice route with friends and family.

I have only bad experiences with cyclists or their dads phoning in asking about prizemoney and I have yet to see a pro or top cyclist reaching out and say.."here I am, how can I help your event grow"

My advice for you you, if it really is your dream, and some has already mentioned it here, get a part-time job, save up, get a loan somewhere and be accountable ...that will show people how serious you are and they will invest in you - good luck. Having said all that, I'm willing to help with free entries and the like...

That is absolute BS

Being an event organiser you should know this!

All you have to do is host a good event and Really Good prize money and your event will grow. You will attract all the pro riders you need.

However event organisers forget about the rest of the field competing for top honours in their classifications. These people also matter offer good prize money to the non professionals and your event will grow even more.

Simple concept if you think about it

Thanks Naas for posting the organisers side of the same coin.

Jamie, times are tough, so sadly the races with prize money for the shorter distances are few and far between.

I actually think it would be cool for races to have a boys and girls u19 prize on the suitable distance event as well as on the big race.

That is absolute BS

Being an event organiser you should know this!

All you have to do is host a good event and Really Good prize money and your event will grow. You will attract all the pro riders you need.

However event organisers forget about the rest of the field competing for top honours in their classifications. These people also matter offer good prize money to the non professionals and your event will grow even more.

Simple concept if you think about it

Do you actually organise events? Being an event organiser Naas would have first hand experience in this.

99% of the people attending have no chance of winning anything other than a spot prize and they know that. If you think big prize money is going to attract a large field of riders you are the one that is deluded.

Edited by Skubarra

If you want to do some European racing in BeNeLux area let me know and i can give you a place to stay :thumbup:

Nice Gummi

:thumbup:  :thumbup: