WPMTBC call for funding: UCI World MTB Champs Cairns

News bot

Due to the fact that Cycling South Africa (CSA) is not in a position to contribute towards the travel costs of riders that have been selected to compete at at the UCI World MTB Champs in Cairns, Australia, the selected athletes are required to self-fund the trip.

The Western Province Mountain Biking Commission (WPMTBC) has decided to contribute R30 000 towards the WC cyclists’ costs to attend the World Champs and are offering cycling enthusiasts the opportunity to contribute as well, and stand a chance to win a SRAM Eagle GX upgrade kit sponsored by Cape Cycle Systems. For more details see the press release below.

Click here to view the article

Question: Does self-fund mean a athlete pay his/her own flights, hotels etc, or do they make a payment to CSA; that then pay bills etc?

Very keen to contribute, but extremely hesitant to trust CSA with any finances at this stage.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, due to CSA's financial position, the federation was not able to make any contributions towards the riders' expenses - most riders started their own campaigns for funding, but the expenses for each rider is VERY high.

The Tygerberg MTB Club is extremely proud of our SA mountainbikers, and even more so, our Western Cape athletes, who are regularly seen on our trails, and being such good ambassadors for the sport, and our children in particular.

As a result, we, the Tygerberg MTB Club, decided to also make a financial contribution of R30 000 towards the athletes' budget, and together with Western Province Mountain Biking Commission, who also made a R30 000 contribution, are happy to be making a difference.

We would like to encourage all our club members, and the general public, to also pledge towards this cause, by visiting the Facebook page of Western Province Mountain Biking Commission, where you can buy a raffle ticket @R100, and stand a chance to win a Sram Upgrade kit.

Wishing the athletes all the very best for this wonderful experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Where is that Bafana Buffoon money that gets flushed down the toilet every year 

Edited by Blitzer

CSA are such clowns..... it actually makes my nipples hurt

So every time I do a MTB race and have to pay R35 day license like hundreds of others - what have the fools done with this money - I thought that at least I was helping a couple of riders - if only in a small way.

WTF have the fools done with my money ?????????????    :cursing:  :cursing: :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  

So every time I do a MTB race and have to pay R35 day license like hundreds of others - what have the fools done with this money - I thought that at least I was helping a couple of riders - if only in a small way.

WTF have the fools done with my money ?????????????    :cursing:  :cursing: :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:

just buy a annual csa license instead - R150 , much cheaper than forking out

R45 a ride. a fool and his money is soon parted.

just buy a annual csa license instead - R150 , much cheaper than forking out

R45 a ride. a fool and his money is soon parted.

I can do that but these days only do a few select races so probably break even either way.

Problem is even if I paid R150.00 - what happens to that money and why do I MTB riders have to self fund for a major competition?