Help! I Can't touch my toes.

Hi everyone. I'm not really a supple person, I can barely touch my knees. I've never been flexible, but recently I started riding a lot more and this has caused me to even be less flexible.

My question is: How does flexibility affect performance on the bicycle. Will I perform better if i'm more flexible? or am I fine as is. I'm taking cycling serious now and want to better every aspect of myself. 

Any advice and what stretching can I do to make myself more supple?

Thank You Andreas.

The theory used to be, the longer your muscles , the stronger they are. . This was 20 years ago, so no clue if still valid.  

You won't be as aero if you not flexible, not big issue on MTB, definitely issue on road  :)

Just get good stretching program (Sufferfest has few yoga video's, but sure there others) and you be fine in few weeks. (It is a bit painful though...)

Edited by Karman de Lange

Thank you, I will go look at the videos.

Any people who have experienced that stretching increased their performance?

I have been in and out of cycling many times in my life ( now 65 and started MT biking  ). I was also a swimmer and water polo player so for additional fitness i would always swim a  KM or more . This combined with cycling training kept me supple and gave me flexibility in my upper body . Stretching  i found was only useful as a warm up or cool down exercise . 

Thank you, I will go look at the videos.

Any people who have experienced that stretching increased their performance?

Yes and no......IMO regular stretching certainly helps me feel more comfortable on the bike - less neck, shoulder and back stiffness for example - as well as keeping old war wounds from flaring up, so stretching does let me ride more and with more efforts, so in a way I feel that stretching does improve my performance, but it's probably an indirect effect for me anyway. 

being supple is a genetic thing...  sure you can get better with days and months and years worth of stretching, but don't feel bad if you're anything like me.  I have never even been close to touching my toes and i don't even resemble someone stretching when I give it my best.

Stretching is good for you and worthwhile doing, but IMO it is more about preventing injuries than improving performance.

Hi everyone. I'm not really a supple person, I can barely touch my knees. I've never been flexible, but recently I started riding a lot more and this has caused me to even be less flexible.

My question is: How does flexibility affect performance on the bicycle. Will I perform better if i'm more flexible? or am I fine as is. I'm taking cycling serious now and want to better every aspect of myself. 

Any advice and what stretching can I do to make myself more supple?

Thank You Andreas.

post-36234-0-49030900-1502352633_thumb.jpg