Chain Reaction delivery and duties

Reynardt Terblanche

Hi guys

The standard delivery option on CrC, does that go through the post office? Or is a courier service?

Thanks

Thanks for all the comments guys. Went with standard delivery, not in a big rush for the part. So let's see how long it takes. Will report once I have it (hopefully not toooo long) :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the comments guys. Went with standard delivery, not in a big rush for the part. So let's see how long it takes. Will report once I have it (hopefully not toooo long) :)

Wow. Super surprised. Package delivered today! Ordered on Saturday so thats less than a week and I took standard delivery. Amazing!

Wow. Super surprised. Package delivered today! Ordered on Saturday so thats less than a week and I took standard delivery. Amazing!

Yep, I always use the std/tracked delivery. Good turn around time

• 2 years later...

They changed from DHL to Skynet, total Dogshow, Rather Try something like the Global shopper

Anyone used CRC lately ? And if so how long was the delivery ?

Anyone used CRC lately ? And if so how long was the delivery ?

Yip, since Jan I think I placed 4 orders. Two arrived within 10 days, and two were stuck in SA for a while during level 5 lockdown

From a older post

Cycling shorts (classified as clothing): 45%

shoes: 30%

socks: 40 -45% depending on material used

bags: 30%
Gloves: 30%
Helmets (fullface or other): 25%
Knee pads and other protective equipment: 20%
plastic bottles: 15%
whole bicycles: 15%
Goggles, sunglasses: 0%
bike components: 0%
cycling electronics: 0%

Where does a indoor trainer fall on this list? Cycling Electronics?

Edited by MTB-More

They changed from DHL to Skynet, total Dogshow, Rather Try something like the Global shopper

Skynet was terrible to start.

3 weeks to a month if you were lucky.

Improved to 7-14 days prior to Covid.

No idea what to expect now.

Yeah, I miss the good old DHL days, but skynet seems to be getting their act together.

I ordered some parktool stuff on Thursday, it shipped yesterday, arrived in JHB this morning. I got the email to fill the customs clearance form this morning, waiting on my invoice now, and then hopefully get it delivered tomorrow or Thursday

Problem with using global shopper etc is two fold. Firstly you pay vat twice. You will pay UK vat on your order to ship to the wharehouse, and then vat to Sars on arrival here, along with any duties etc.

Secondly, if you use a freight forwarded like global shopper, chain reaction doesn't honour the warranty on the items purchased.

I do use global shopper and similar if they can't ship the items to SA because of the stupid anti competition agreements the local distributors have, so if I want shimano components etc. But now, thanks to the rand tanking, this is just not worth it anymore. Obviously once coolheat runs out of stock and has to import again, the pricing will change and I guess CRC will be the way to go then again

• 2 weeks later...

So I have a new issue with chain reaction cycles (well actually skynet and SARS).

I ordered some tools off of CRC, shipping etc all went well till it landed here last week.

I did my homework before ordering to make sure of the total price (including VAT and Duties) and was pretty certain all the items would be duty free.

Now Skynet wants me to pay 20% duty on one of the toolsets, claiming it doesn't come in duty free because it's not from the EU. Country of origin on the manifest is GB, and the last time I checked (this morning) GB and the UK as a whole still fall under the EU customs union.

Am I misunderstanding something here?

• 9 months later...

Hey people,

Just checking since last question was asked in June 2020.

Does Chain Reaction still use Skynet to deliver in South Africa? There was a time that they used the SA post office which is no longer suitable.

Thanks.

Hey people,

Does Chain Reaction still use Skynet to deliver in South Africa? There was a time that they used the SA post office which is no longer suitable.

Thanks.

My last order (at the end of Jan) was shipped via DHL express, took under a week to get to my door.

Hey people,

Thanks.

Placed an order this week, standard shipping, being sent via DHL, expected Thursday so 7.5 days if SA customs doesn't hold it up. 

Just couldn't find stock of suitable gravel tyres in local bike shops (700x43c with slick center tread) and SA agents seemed to be out too.