Cannondale Scapel Si - Your thoughts

AllAboutRides

Now you've got me wondering even more - how is the South more durable than the Czero, both are carbon rims (honest question, absolutely no sarcasm)?

Internal rim width - granted. 28mm vs 23mm for the Czero. Interesting to note that the ENVE M50 only has 21mm internal width - to be honest I would have thought their rim is more progressive in this specific aspect.

Lower pressures, less sidewall cuts, more protection for the rim, etc.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And!?

He liked the bike. BUT, it did not go so well.  :eek:

He came home in Strand and his cassette was wobbling. Removed the cassette and free hub to find one collapsed bearing in the freehub. Trying to sort it out before Staalwater tomorrow.

Can't get through to the guy at CWC. Clearly the bike has not only done 1000km. But that's life. You buy a demo and take your chances. Lucky I am good with fixing stuff. Already have 2 6802 RS bearings in my hand. The other bearing in the freehub is also rough, and that one is out already, but trying to remove only the outer shell of that collapsed bearing is a bitch. Almost no ridge to work with, and I can't find anybody here to either help me pulling it, or supply me with a blind bearing puller.

At least he has his HT as backup for tomorrow.

Eureka!

As I was typing the previous post, I had the freehub in the oven. Removed it, gave 2 taps on what little edge I had to work with on the outer race, and it came out. Already have both new bearings in the freehub. About to re-install the pawls, and we should be good to go.

Edited by Moridin

Don't own a Lefty and never rode one, but how do you guys owning the Lefty experience servicing the fork?

Heard it is expensive to service and I would presume you cannot take it to any LBS due to the specialized fork. 

How long does it take to service too?

Don't own a Lefty and never rode one, but how do you guys owning the Lefty experience servicing the fork?

Heard it is expensive to service and I would presume you cannot take it to any LBS due to the specialized fork. 

How long does it take to service too?

Your LBS will send it to Omnico....I have been riding lefty for 7 years and never paid more than R1000 to service.....The Old Boot lefty service intervals was had to be done more often....The new 2.0 version about 100hours but since the 2spring upgrade perhaps longer and it depends how your ride. I actually send it in once a year .

OK, having just had to replace a collapsed bearing in the Formula hub's freehub, here is my observation:

The quality of construction of the hub itself looks quite good. However, they have really crap quality bearings in there. Bearings made in Taiwan. Was 6802 LU bearings. Replace them with some quality 6802 2RS bearings made in Japan or from other reputable manufacturing sources. Those bearings carries enormous stress and load, so don't count your pennies when you replace them. The 2 new 6802 2RS bearings only cost me R150 total.

Edited by Moridin

OK, having just had to replace a collapsed bearing in the Formula hub's freehub, here is my observation:

The quality of construction of the hub itself looks quite good. However, they have really crap quality bearings in there. Bearings made in Taiwan. Was 6802 LU bearings. Replace them with some quality 6802 2RS bearings made in Japan or from other reputable manufacturing sources. Those bearings carries enormous stress and load, so don't count your pennies when you replace them. The 2 new 6802 2RS bearings only cost me R150 total.

That KA-TANG in my hub is the same issue, need to sort it out... Thanks for the advice with the oven....

That KA-TANG in my hub is the same issue, need to sort it out... Thanks for the advice with the oven....

Don't heat it up higher than 120 degrees C though. They have some Magnesium in that Aluminium. Keep it in the oven for about 20 - 30 minutes so that the heat spreads evenly. 20 minutes should be fine if you have thermofan, like mine.

So my take on it after a few laps of Thaba... As more a hacker than a real cyclist of course [emoji16] - the Di2 is just super cool and efficient and with that 2*11 that feeks like a 1* it has a nicer spread of gears. Not sure I'd drop that much loot on a groupset though [emoji6]

The bike now that's a different story. Just so so much confidence in the front end WOW! Probably a combination of the geometry and fork ... The back wheel was all over the place in some of those lesser 'blue' sections that I can ride but the front wheel just tracks where you want to go [emoji41]

Overall a bit too much bike for me I think ... Unless I can sell a kidney quick and just have it to look cool!d433c51c80e9a23af1efcf120a6ecea9.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

So my take on it after a few laps of Thaba... As more a hacker than a real cyclist of course [emoji16] - the Di2 is just super cool and efficient and with that 2*11 that feeks like a 1* it has a nicer spread of gears. Not sure I'd drop that much loot on a groupset though [emoji6]

The bike now that's a different story. Just so so much confidence in the front end WOW! Probably a combination of the geometry and fork ... The back wheel was all over the place in some of those lesser 'blue' sections that I can ride but the front wheel just tracks where you want to go [emoji41]

Overall a bit too much bike for me I think ... Unless I can sell a kidney quick and just have it to look cool!d433c51c80e9a23af1efcf120a6ecea9.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Thing of beauty!! 

• 6 months later...

Will demo a Scapel Lefty soon, got one from local bike shop so I’m quite excited

Confession: Just sold my Epic S-Works so it will be a very difficult move for me to go to other brand

Will demo a Scapel Lefty soon, got one from local bike shop so I’m quite excited

Confession: Just sold my Epic S-Works so it will be a very difficult move for me to go to other brand

My son is still smiling from ear to ear when he is on his Scalpel. Tried to convince him to use his older HT for some flat races. He flat out refused.

They better keep your car keys and driver’s license as you may not return the demo...

Edited by 'Dale

They better keep your car keys and driver’s license as you may not return the demo...

I assume you are riding a cannondale?