Warm up Routines

Just curious to know your guys warm up routines for a ride/race

I know ideally it would be best to ride and warm up the legs but sometimes this is not viable

I usually try run on the spot for a bit then do some light stretches but i feel like i need to get my heart rate up and sweating a bit before i start

TIA

Just curious to know your guys warm up routines for a ride/race

I know ideally it would be best to ride and warm up the legs but sometimes this is not viable

I usually try run on the spot for a bit then do some light stretches but i feel like i need to get my heart rate up and sweating a bit before i start

TIA

MTB or road?

Generally in road the starts of the alphabet batches aren't so fast or hard that you need a warmup

Think it's very subjective and changes with every rider.

Personally I warm up best for A bike race by doing easy running , others do long intervals at 60% others do very short intervals at 95%

Some just spin around for 30 mins

Experiment and see what happens , best to do this in off season unless you're A weekemd warriot that just wants to start better

Take your next few and try short or long intervals , spining for long times , running and/or plyometrics

MTB or road?

Generally in road the starts of the alphabet batches aren't so fast or hard that you need a warmup

MTB

MTB

Depending on your batch start you might not even need to warm up.

Unless you get caught up in the thrill of the race and sprint out the gate you might hurt a bit, but if you're a mid to back of the pack rider just start at your avg pace and 10min in you'll be fine.

Personally I don't warm up.

I am making an observation, so please don't crucify me, but I am assuming that if you were an A batch starter, you would probably not be asking this question, as you would most likely already know the answer. Thus, my guess is that you are somewhere between the mid-pack and the tail.

I have found in my recent spin endeavors that a 5-10 minute mid tempo warm-up does the trick for me, and I can then spend longer sessions at or near to threshold, but that's just me. Usually my spinning sessions are around 90 minutes, and I only fatigue in the last 10 or so minutes of going full tilt.

I would guess that spending some time loosening the muscles with some easy to medium cadence to get the heart active won't hurt if you are an established rider. As a tail ender I would rather conserve as much energy for the actual ride, and avoid striking a match before the race has even started.

But as BaGearA has said, best to try this in the off-season.

In my own experience, I bolted out the gate on my first k2c, and tried to set a landspeed record towards Angies G-Spot. I bonked before getting halfway. Yes, this was also due to not training correctly, but I would have gone much further had I not struck all my matches in the beginning.