Road Bike Chain Replacement

Farhaad

Hello Cyclist

I need help regarding replacing my chain on my Tiagra 10 speed. I used my chain checker tool, and the tool indicates that chain needs replacement in the future (0.75) and not (1.0) at the moment.

I would like to know the chain options that are available for replacement, do I purchase a Tiagra 10 spd chain or can I purchase a 105 chain. Instead of Shimano can I give SRAM a go. Power link or Chain break tool?

Instead of a road chain can I make use of an MTB chain. Are MTB chain stronger and last longer?

Please advise.

Thanks

On a road bike you can push the chain to 0.75 wear without causing to much more wear on the cassette or blades.

I have not run Sram on my 10 spd setup yet but i normally just buy 105, Shimano chains are directional and I do not now if the pick up would be as sound as it should be on Sram. 

Practically the chain should work 

On my tandem I was chowing ultegra chains like nkandla chows tax money, tried the sram in the same price range and it lasts longer. Works fine with no issues. A chain is a chain, you can fit any brand as long as its the right width so just make sure you get a 10s chain. On my road(single) and mtb race bikes I use KMC chains. Training bikes all shimano chains. All bikes are running ultegra or XT.

Replace at 0.75.

Any brand of chain will work as long as as you get a 9sp chain for 9sp groupset etc.

Road and mtb chains are also interchangeable.

1.0 is warn worse than 0.75. It means that the chain is "stretched"(not literally) by 0.75 and 1%, respectively.

You can use any chain that is speed specific ie any 10 speed chain.  There are chain checkers and chain checkers.  Best to remove the chain and measure over a 12" (ie 12 link) length.  12.1/16" is the maximum wear that you should run a chain with. Any more and you could need to replace the cassette as well.  I have an old carpenters rule in inches so haven't bothered to convert to metric.  Lots of info on the pinned Chain/cassette/gears thread.

You can use any chain that is speed specific ie any 10 speed chain.  There are chain checkers and chain checkers.  Best to remove the chain and measure over a 12" (ie 12 link) length.  12.1/16" is the maximum wear that you should run a chain with. Any more and you could need to replace the cassette as well.  I have an old carpenters rule in inches so haven't bothered to convert to metric.  Lots of info on the pinned Chain/cassette/gears thread.

12" = 30.48cm

12 1/16" = 30.64cm

Although that works out to 0.5% wear (roughly) which is pretty early to bin a chain.

0.75% would be 12 3/32" = 30.72cm

• 4 weeks later...

I've had my KMC 11spd chain for 7000+ km, and I've been looking after it carefully and it's lasted me well.

But, and I may be a bit late, I laid eyes on the KMC XL Gold chain the other day, and man would it look snazzy on my ride! Who on earth stocks it?

How quickly will the XL version wear? 

I saw the gold KMC chain at CL in Fourways the other week.. Wasn't cheap, but then it is gold..

I use KMC on the road bike. Cheaper than Shimano, plus road bike = no mud and crap, so a bi monthly routine of taking it and cassette off, paraffin bath, dry, refit and lube. I dont really pay attention to which way round it goes either and I ride the road a lot. Last chain lasted me 3 years